What's new

Dealers Of Canare Products??? (1 Viewer)

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Other than Markertek and Zack's is there anywhere I can get the Canare TS-100E stripper and TC-D-5CF Crimp Die?
Chris White, might you know of anywhere?
Thanks.
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
David,
Are you considering "rolling your own?" I recently purchased three audio interconnects from BetterCables in order to connect my MA700 monoblocks to my Denon 5700 (very nice quality cables) and, based on the performance of the cables, am determined to swap out the majority of my wires some time this spring with the help of Chris White's DIY cables page. (I do have a couple of quality interconnects, mostly connected to my VW10HT and my optical connectors.)
It is my understanding that the materials Chris uses are the same as BetterCables.I'd be interested in your experiences. Even though this is a back burner item for me at present due to time constraints, I'll have more time after April.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
Get the stripper from Radio Shack. It works great!
278-248.jpg

Best of all it's only $11.99
I used mine to make several coax audio and video cables.
------------------
Ken Cline - Home Theater Fanatic
[email protected]
Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Crap!
www.dvdtracker.com/~kencline.asp

Scott S

Auditioning
I'll second the RS Coax stripper suggestion. Also, you might have a look at their $12.00 coax crimper. I don't have the part number, but it's a big nasty looking lever action crimper, with two different size hexagonal dies. I used both of these with the Canare 75 ohm connectors and they worked great.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, I've been wanting to build my own cables for some time now. I finally just decided to gear up for it. Of course, I'll be posting my results on my web site. For a while I considered using other more affordable strippers and crimpers but decided to get the Canare stuff because:
A) They'll strip and crimp more accurately
B) They allow for stripping and crimping several types of
cable and connectors.
I am still curious as to how the Radio Shack gear works.
I'll be getting a DLP projector at the end of the year which means I'll probably be re-doing my HT gear and that calls for more cables. I'd rather build my own.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
David,
Wise decision. When I purchased my VW10HT I didn't know about the Chris White DIY wire page so I spent considerable money getting two sets of quality component cables and a quality S-Video cable. Then when I added the Marantz Monoblocks to my Denon 5700 I purchased some BetterCables to replace the temporary Radioshack golds and what a difference.
Based on that, and the advice of others, I've decided to rewire everything else (except a couple of quality cables I already own) some time this spring. Yes, if I had started "rolling my own" early on, the equipment would have already paid for itself many times over, but that's past history. From this point on I'll be prepared to build my own cables for old as well as new equipment as well.
And let's not forget another important aspect of customized cables: Correct lengths for the job. Sure you can buy 6 foot or 12 foot lengths of pre-made cables. But what about those situations that call for SEVEN feet? Those extra five feet of cable add up quickly to create the "spaghetti" effect behind the equipment. Wasted wire and ugly (or at least inconvenient) to boot.
Keep us all posted on your progress as you build your toolkit. I've seen some of the radioshack stuff (I think I even have one of the devices shown here that I used to use for making video interconnect for my cable TV.) Believe me, while they do the job, it's not the quality job you want that the Canare products and similar provide. The RS stuff is fine if you want to step up from the "old" way of hand-stripping cables (a royal pain) and great for quick fixes, but not for what we are trying to achieve here.
Good luck!
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, correct length is probably the 2nd most important reason (after quality) to build your cables. Also, I can choose whatever connector I want. I'm looking for good 90 degree connectors for the component side of the cable. This would eliminate the long arcing runs behind my gear.
On a related topic, while I ordered my cable tools I also ordered a good deal of power tools like a compound miter saw, planer, air-compressor and brad-nailer to tool up for building new cabinetry for when the projector is finally purchased.
I've spent alot of money on tools in the last few days because I'm tired of saying: "You know honey, I love the book cases we bought but it would be great if they were 7 inches wider and 2 feet taller and occupied the whole wall". BTW, those book cases cost me more than the tools I'm telling you about and I'm certain I could build them just as well.
While many people consider building things, especially furniture a daunting task you have to realize how much information is available over the internet and the quality and affordability (relative) of tools to help the project go smoothly.
Having built my mini-monitors with an old router and table saw convinced me: I can build most of the things that I have in my home. The principles are basic and I can plan things out. Noone is rushing me to get it done and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford tools and materials so why not do it my way?
Nice talking with you all on this. I promise to show what I end up making.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
Rutiger,
I got a Delta 36-225 10" Compound Miter Saw for $189 at Amazon.com. It was reviewed very well by Wood Magazine. The planer is also a Delta. It's the 12.5" Portable planer, also reviewed very well in Wood. I got that from Amazon.com for $279. It's $299 but there is a $20 tool coupon. The code is AMZNCATREQ26. Any tool order over $199 comes with free shipping.
Also purchased from Amazon.com was a 2HP 6Gal. air compressor from Porter Cable. I got the one that doesn't have the universal motor that can't be rebuilt if it blows out. I also got the Porter Cable BN200 Brad Nailer, a Goodyear rubber hose and 10" 80 tooth Freud blade.
I've gotten into woodworking as a result of the speakers I built. Among other things, I plan on building more speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks