What's new

Apple Airport Express (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Does this require my desktop PC to be wireless as well? I currently have my PC plugged into the wireless router and my XBox and Replay connected wirelessly with MN-740 adapters. I've been wanting to wirelessly stream music to my AV setup in the other room. I'm a little fuzzy on what the Airport Express does. It seems that it is tied to the PC and not the router like the other adapters I have.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
No, that should work fine. Your Airport Express needs to be the end point and be on the same network as your iTunes machine. Sounds like you're all set.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick warning. I know that in the past the airport has required you to have at least one Apple computer on your network to configure the airport. It will still work with PC's, but can only be configured by an Apple. They may have changed that with this new model, but they may not have. Of course, if you have an Apple this is all irrelevent.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks. I did a little more reading and it seems to be a pretty ambitious "all-in-one" device. There was some mention of the stream being encoded, so now I'm curious if it will only stream certain bitrate files and types (e.g. only 128 AAC). Didn't find any mention of restrictions though. I guess I'll just wait for reviews to come in.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Actually, it's a pretty generic device. It's basically a wireless bridge, with an add on print server and streaming music support. But at it's heart, it's still a wireless bridge.

I imagine it'll play anything iTunes can throw at it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I might actually add my order to the queue. I've been looking at the Wireless Squeezebox, but 280.00 is a bit much for my needs.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It works with anything that iTunes can play. After decoding the audio for playback, it encodes everything with Apple Lossless. Less data to transmit with no loss in quality. It's also encrypted.

Neat device. I will probably get one or two....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks