-

Photo
- - - - -

Apple Airport Express

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,506 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 13 2004 - 05:34 PM

Does this require my desktop PC to be wireless as well? I currently have my PC plugged into the wireless router and my XBox and Replay connected wirelessly with MN-740 adapters. I've been wanting to wirelessly stream music to my AV setup in the other room. I'm a little fuzzy on what the Airport Express does. It seems that it is tied to the PC and not the router like the other adapters I have.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 01:17 AM

No, that should work fine. Your Airport Express needs to be the end point and be on the same network as your iTunes machine. Sounds like you're all set.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 01:57 AM

Just a quick warning. I know that in the past the airport has required you to have at least one Apple computer on your network to configure the airport. It will still work with PC's, but can only be configured by an Apple. They may have changed that with this new model, but they may not have. Of course, if you have an Apple this is all irrelevent.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,506 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 14 2004 - 02:00 AM

Thanks. I did a little more reading and it seems to be a pretty ambitious "all-in-one" device. There was some mention of the stream being encoded, so now I'm curious if it will only stream certain bitrate files and types (e.g. only 128 AAC). Didn't find any mention of restrictions though. I guess I'll just wait for reviews to come in.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 07:57 AM

Actually, it's a pretty generic device. It's basically a wireless bridge, with an add on print server and streaming music support. But at it's heart, it's still a wireless bridge.

I imagine it'll play anything iTunes can throw at it.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,506 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 14 2004 - 08:19 AM

I think I might actually add my order to the queue. I've been looking at the Wireless Squeezebox, but 280.00 is a bit much for my needs.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 10:33 AM

Quote:
There was some mention of the stream being encoded, so now I'm curious if it will only stream certain bitrate files and types (e.g. only 128 AAC)
It works with anything that iTunes can play. After decoding the audio for playback, it encodes everything with Apple Lossless. Less data to transmit with no loss in quality. It's also encrypted.

Neat device. I will probably get one or two....