What's new

Paint Color Schemes (1 Viewer)

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone,

I need your wisdom and creativity. Soon I will be in the painting stages of my construction and I am struggling with a color scheme for my HT and my adjacent Media Room. My preliminary thoughts are:

Carpet will be either a gray or burgundy berber. HT will have a chair rail molding, below will be a dark gray and above will be a burgundy. The burgundy will extend to the bottom portion of the tray ceiling. The upper (vertical) portion of the tray and the ceiling inside the tray will be black. There are six columns in the room, i'm thinking of painting those all burgundy with no chair rail on the columns. The front wall will be painted black between the two columns that will flank the screen. Outside of those columns I will maintain the integrity of the paint scheme from the rest of the room. I have chosen to have all nine seven speakers and two subs exposed rather than enclosed... they are all black and so are the leather loveseat/couch combos.

My questions are:

What color do I go with on the trim? Trim consists of a base board, chair rail, small crown below tray, larger crown inside tray (to conceal rope lighting) and bull nose trim on riser and front stage edges (to conceal rope lighting again).

Here is a crude sketch of the basic layout although actual measurements suggest that I may have to go with a loveseat up front and the larger couch in back, you get the idea though.

My Room Layout

I await the flood of creativity that you all are famous for... bring the thunder!;)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I try to avoid color questions (at my wife's request). What ever color you do paint it, try to use a flat or eggshell paint. Most paint designed and mixed for trim has a glossier sheen for durability and ease of cleanability, but there is nothing worse than reflections from the trim package.

RandyMcc

Agent
I have a OT question. You room dimentions look to be about the size of mine. I am currently working on setting up a HT in there. Could you give me your room dimentions? I figured on your drawing that each square was a 6"x6", is that correct? Also are you using a projector? if so how big of screen are you using?

Thanks!

Randy

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
The sketch is not to scale as the paper I used isn't square. I was really just playing that day, trying to get the image in my head down on paper. The actual structure is very close though.

My HT room is 18' wide and 25.3' long with a 9' ceiling inside the tray from the floor. The riser is 8" high and the stage is 6" high.

The Media room is 8' wide and 25.3 long with a 9' ceiling.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I would do the trim in black. This is predicated upon your doing the carpet in burgundy that matches the upper walls. I'm probably doing something similar although the top and bottoms of the walls (seperated by the chair rail) will both be burgundy. The top will be painted 3D wallpaper and the bottom will just be painted drywall. The front wall and ceiling (the ceiling at front and back slope from 8 to 10 feet) will be black. I think the black trim will bring in the color of the ceiling and front wall so that it looks like they were painted that way for reasons other than light reflection (or lack thereof). Plus it will match the furniture (which I will also be doing in black).

One other option for you is if you do the carpet in gray, you might consider painting the lower wall black and the trim in gray to match the carpet.

Stew

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Stew,

Thanks, our situations seem similar. I like your second idea... gray carpet and gray trim. I like the black trim idea except for one thing, the crown molding might look odd in black since it will be mounted to a black surface inside the tray. It just seems as though the trim should be different than the wall in order to be noticed. The chair rail would be fine in black or gray, depending on the sceme I choose. This is a lot to contemplate, I want it to look great when finished.

Scott

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Stew,

Thanks, our situations seem similar. I like your second idea... gray carpet and gray trim. I like the black trim idea except for one thing, the crown molding might look odd in black since it will be mounted to a black surface inside the tray. It just seems as though the trim should be different than the wall in order to be noticed. The chair rail would be fine in black or gray, depending on the sceme I choose. This is a lot to contemplate, I want it to look great when finished.

Scott

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, what do you guys/gals think about possibly using a mahogony stain for all the trim, including the bull nose around the riser and stage...? I could tie this in with the same stain color on the pub tables...?

?????????

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, what do you guys/gals think about possibly using a mahogony stain for all the trim, including the bull nose around the riser and stage...? I could tie this in with the same stain color on the pub tables...?

?????????

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I think stained trim would look great. I was originally planning on doing all the trim (including doors and bullnoses) in stained wood, but decided that I didn't want to have to replace all the baseboard and other trim that was already in the room (it's a brand new house). It just seemed like a waste. I'm reserving the right to be able to do it at a future date, however. Heck, I don't want to blow my whole wad at once. I need room to upgrade.

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks