-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sugarland Express: Will this have DTS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Johnny G

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 11:37 AM

I read on a thread about DTS bit rates that this film will include a DTS track and looking at the menu shot on DVD Times, there is a languages selection but the announcement only mention English 2.0 mono.

Seeing as they've given Duel a DTS track which is released on the same date, I guess this could be true.

Can anyone confirm this?

#2 of 7 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 12:46 PM

Most of Spielberg's films have DTS except for the ones that are put out by WB (Empire of the Sun, The Color Purple) and the Indiana Jones films, probably because of Lucas and Paramount. I would expect "The Sugarland Express" to carry a DTS track.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 7 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 06:31 AM

I imagine that the final specs will be similar to Duel, ie. Great transfer, original 2.0 mono, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with new foley effects, new interviews/featurettes, trailer(s), extensive production notes, etc.

Of all of Spielberg's best films, I think that this one is the most neglected. It's a good films - beautifully shot in Panavision.

#4 of 7 Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 02:19 PM

Highly underated...one of my favorite Spielberg films. I'll be very happy to finally replace my laserdisc. Since I spent quite a bit of time on differents sets of this picture, I'm really hoping for extensive supplemental material!
"Don't you wonder sometimes...
'bout sound and vision"

#5 of 7 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 06:03 PM

I thought I read somewhere that this release would *NOT* have a DTS encoding. It struck me as being odd, as well as the writer, because most Spielberg flicks have DTS.

Mike

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#6 of 7 David Sal

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 11:15 PM

http://spielbergfilms.com/ reports that it will be only with mono sound and a trailer as the only extra. How a tv movie like Duel (although great) gets a better treatment than the first theatrical feature of a master?

#7 of 7 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 12:42 AM

Well, that is disappointing news, David. I was expecting a lot more from this release. But as long as the transfer is good, then I'll be happy to finally see this gem on DVD.