Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

any Jamie Cullum (twentysomething) listeners?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 09:40 AM

After reading an article in the paper a few days ago, i went ahead and picked up Jamie Cullum's new CD twentysomething.

For fans of more mainstream jazz like Norah Jones, Nellie Mckay and the like (like me for instance), you'll probably enjoy this CD. He's a young brit fellow who's already very well known in England, and is just starting to gain some recognition here.

I'd like to hear from you guys, since I'm not a big jazz enthusiast, but I do know I enjoy this CD.

Also, its recorded very well, all in smooth analog sound.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 08:01 AM

nobody? ahwell, just a suggestion to check it out, it was only CAD $10, so its cheap Posted Image

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 02:51 PM

I will say it's not bad. Picked it up on a whim after hearing it in the shop, more for the missus since she likes this sort of stuff.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Dale Van Minsel

Dale Van Minsel

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:10 AM

Has anyone compared the SACD to the redbook version? Is there an improvement? How is the surround mix?

Thanks,
Dale

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:26 AM

still waiting to find the sacd in a local BBuy...

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   DarylA

DarylA

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 07:16 AM

Picked this up based on the title track. I like the swing/bop style. Overall an ok disc but am somewhat disappointed. The male version of Norah Jones. May win an award or two because of that. Sounds like early, mellow Billy Joel.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Has anyone compared the SACD to the redbook version? Is there an improvement? How is the surround mix?

While I think that the redbook version is quite good, the SACD layer (2-channel) seems to lift a veil off of my speakers and presents the music with more clarity. I prefer the SACD layer if I'm in my HT room, but don't feel like I'm missing anything when I'm listening on a CD player.

Not sure...my SACD player is only hooked up in 2-channel.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 11:25 PM

I like this CD very much. I even bought his lesser known debut album and it's also very good. When you are more familiar with both artists you actually will hear no Norah Jones in him. In fact, they are miles apart from each other. "Life", however, he tends to go over the top a little. He so much wants to be an entertainer, if you know what mean. He's more subtle on his recordings and that works a whole lot better. He's an incredible self-taught pianist.

------------
Alex Cremers

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 11 2005 - 01:27 AM

I have the Dualdisc and like it. He doesn't have a real strong voice, but there's a sense of fun to the whole enterprise that sets it apart from other pop-jazz releases. I also like a lot of the original songs, not to mention the well-executed left-field covers and fresh arrangements of chestnuts/war horses. He even covers my favorite Jeff Buckley and Radiohead songs, so he gets an extra point for good taste. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA