Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do you cut small circles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   GrahamT

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:12 AM

When flush mounting drivers I know that I have to use a rabbet bit but how do I cut a perfect circle first? It cant be done with a jigsaw so I assume it is done with a router but how? If it helps this is my router

http://www.blackandd....istByType.aspx

Thanks for the help

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Allen Ross

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:26 AM

Jasper prob makes the best circle jigs around, the Model 400 will do a 1-7 1/2 hole in 1/16th increments, with a 1/4 inch bit.

Snag the combo pack at PE with Model 200 and 400, you can that do 1-18 3/16" holes for only 50 bucks. part # 365-260

Or if you are cheap make one your self, mount a board to your router, with a center hole for your bit, measure from them out side of the cutting bit to the distance you want cut, drill a pivot hole and sink a nail in that into your wrk piece and you are golden.

Make sure you use something to secure the cut out to the baffle when cutting so when you are done the cut the cut out jig and router don't go flying all over the place. I usually tack down some scrap 2x4 to the rear of the baffle.
Member and Founder of the "Its Never to Big or too Loud to have in a Dorm Club"
Everyone in college should have a 9 cuft Tempest in their closest!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   GrahamT

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:32 AM

Good tips, I am cheap so how would I secure the board to the router base?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   GrahamT

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:37 AM

Nevermind I just figured it out, this helps me a lot.Posted Image

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Gerry S

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:43 AM

Graham:

I used a DIY router jig as well and it worked very well.

-Gerry

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
Make sure you use something to secure the cut out to the baffle when cutting so when you are done the cut the cut out jig and router don't go flying all over the place. I usually tack down some scrap 2x4 to the rear of the baffle

What I find works quite nicely is setting up your bit so its just shy of going through the wood, that way the circle remains supported so you can make a clean cut, then you can just punch it through when you remove your router. Once you get use to it you can make an almost paper thin layer holding the circle up and its very easy to knock it out.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   marc

marc

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 11:51 PM

small sciccors, HAHA