What's new

Show Spin-Off's as extras (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Hey I've had this idea for well, since studios began releasing season box sets, tell me what you all think.
Right then here it goes...
It would be cool if studios could start including one episode of a spin-off show on the respective dvd sets.
For example, Happy Days is due out in august. Yes!! :D
Well, Happy Days has six spin-off shows they could have chosen as one of the extras.
"Laverne & Shirley" - also due out in august!!
"Mork & Mindy"
"Joanie Loves Chachi"
And, their Hanna-Barbera produced saturday morning cartoon counterparts:
"Fonz and the Happy Days Gang"
"Laverne & Shirley"
"Mork & Mindy"

It is the cartoon spin-off's that I would really LOVE to have as a "Extra" or a "Easter Egg", but more examples would be...

"Fish" on a "Barney Miller Season 2" set
"Gilligan's Planet" on "Gilligan's Island Season 2"
"The Jeffersons" on a "All In The Family" set.
etc. etc. you get the idea. :)

It could raise awareness of the spin-off's that are already out like "The Jeffersons" or other shows being considered for release and may even help boost set sales.

Well, what do you think huh?:)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I would rather the cartoons as they are less likely to get a DVD release than say Mork & Mindy, but Joannie loves Chachie is a good one too. The Jeffersons had a short lived spinoff I believe. Also some of these shows were based on BBC programs originally, perhaps some of those would be good bonus features too.

By the by, Punky Brewster includes some cartoons as bonus material but they messed up cutting the end off of one of them....

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think this would be a pretty good idea, and I also wish that they would consider doing this with cross over episodes if the same company owns both series that crossed over. This idea would work like I said if the company that owned the original also owned its spin off, which is usually the case, or at least is the case in all those examples you gave as far as I know.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Also, I forgot this, It seems like Maude may not make it to DVD, and I really couldn't care less, but Florida's first appearance on that show would be a Good Good Times bonus.And add The Gary Coleman show cartoon to Different Strokes and Mr. T's cartoon to A-Team!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The "Jeffersons" spin-off had Florence (Marla Gibbs) taking a job at a hotel. It only lasted four episodes and she was back on "Jeffersons" by next season. That's short enough to put the entire series as a supplement on a season set!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I always thought that "Tabitha", the spin off of "Bewitched" should be put on it's own disc (it's only twelve episodes so it could be put on a double sided) and offered as a premium for purchasing two or three seasons of "Bewitched".

The cool thing about "Tabitha" is that Sandra Gould (Mrs. Kravitz #2), George Tobias (Mr. Kravitz), and Bernard Fox (Dr. Bombay) reprised their characters on the show.

How about adding Enos to a Dukes of Hazzard set?I think that it would be a good idea to put it on dvd either by itself or packaged with a Dukes season set.I'm sure there's alot of DoH fans that would love to have it.I know I would.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

Duh Randy!!

Thanks for reminding me guys the "Love America Style" episode would be a great extra!

I'd rather see the cartoons myself if I had to choose, because I would probably watch them more.
Specially, Mork & Mindy since I don't remember ever seeing more than a few minutes of that show.

I think it's cool what they did with punky brewster if I were a bigger fan I'd buy that set in a heartbeat.

And, what about "The Dukes" cartoon show on a Dukes of Hazzards set

But what about a episode of Droids on the new Star Wars set!!

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, agree with the Enos/Dukes, Florence/Jeffersons, and Tabitha/Bewitched suggestions, because they're close to what I really want- the Wings episodes that had guest appearances by Cheers people- on the Cheers discs, matched to the year they aired... And The Tortellis (13 shows, one or two of which contain other Cheers people), as an 'extra' to Cheers Season 5 (because it's unlikely as hell that it would ever get its OWN release...).

It's very frustrating when things happen like the Homicide/L+O crossover, where whoever has the power to say 'no' says no, and the story's left incomplete on the Homicide disc set.

ER- hope that Third Watch (Susan/Chloe/Little Susie) episode makes it to the ER set... both John Wells productions, shouldn't be any conflict there, right?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
There was a Star Trek - The Next Generation half-hour promotion for Star Trek VI that was formatted like a mini-episode of TNG. After their encounter with Spock (also "connective tissue", as Berman and Nimoy called it, with the movie), Troi asks the library computer for information about the original Enterprise missions and crew. The show even had a stardate that fit between the Spock 2-parter and the next episode. That would've been a nice extra for the applicable TNG season box set, or the STVI DVD. Too late, though. :frowning:

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Another possible extra is the "Radar" spinoff with Gary Burghoff as Radar back home in Iowa. That could be included as an extra on the MASH set with the 2-parter of Radar leaving (I'm thinking it was the seventh or eighth season, my instinct tells me the seventh).

The mention of "After MASH" is good, but that could be done as either one complete set or two individual season sets, since it ran on TV 1983-85.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Tory mentioned it earlier in this thread....

...another one I thought of is the "Jeannie" cartoon that was produced by Hanna Barbera. Those would be neat to have on the I Dream of Jeannie sets. There were about 15 episodes of that...they could spread them out over the five season sets....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks