Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Show Spin-Off's as extras

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 01:14 AM

Hey I've had this idea for well, since studios began releasing season box sets, tell me what you all think.
Right then here it goes...
It would be cool if studios could start including one episode of a spin-off show on the respective dvd sets.
For example, Happy Days is due out in august. Yes!! Posted Image
Well, Happy Days has six spin-off shows they could have chosen as one of the extras.
"Laverne & Shirley" - also due out in august!!
"Mork & Mindy"
"Joanie Loves Chachi"
And, their Hanna-Barbera produced saturday morning cartoon counterparts:
"Fonz and the Happy Days Gang"
"Laverne & Shirley"
"Mork & Mindy"

It is the cartoon spin-off's that I would really LOVE to have as a "Extra" or a "Easter Egg", but more examples would be...

"Fish" on a "Barney Miller Season 2" set
"Gilligan's Planet" on "Gilligan's Island Season 2"
"The Jeffersons" on a "All In The Family" set.
etc. etc. you get the idea. Posted Image

It could raise awareness of the spin-off's that are already out like "The Jeffersons" or other shows being considered for release and may even help boost set sales.

Well, what do you think huh?Posted Image
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Eve Brown

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 02:09 AM

I love this idea great awareness riser.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:44 AM

I would rather the cartoons as they are less likely to get a DVD release than say Mork & Mindy, but Joannie loves Chachie is a good one too. The Jeffersons had a short lived spinoff I believe. Also some of these shows were based on BBC programs originally, perhaps some of those would be good bonus features too.

By the by, Punky Brewster includes some cartoons as bonus material but they messed up cutting the end off of one of them....
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:45 AM

I think this would be a pretty good idea, and I also wish that they would consider doing this with cross over episodes if the same company owns both series that crossed over. This idea would work like I said if the company that owned the original also owned its spin off, which is usually the case, or at least is the case in all those examples you gave as far as I know.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:47 AM

Also, I forgot this, It seems like Maude may not make it to DVD, and I really couldn't care less, but Florida's first appearance on that show would be a Good Good Times bonus.And add The Gary Coleman show cartoon to Different Strokes and Mr. T's cartoon to A-Team!
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 06:07 AM

The "Jeffersons" spin-off had Florence (Marla Gibbs) taking a job at a hotel. It only lasted four episodes and she was back on "Jeffersons" by next season. That's short enough to put the entire series as a supplement on a season set!

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted June 12 2004 - 06:20 AM

I always thought that "Tabitha", the spin off of "Bewitched" should be put on it's own disc (it's only twelve episodes so it could be put on a double sided) and offered as a premium for purchasing two or three seasons of "Bewitched".

The cool thing about "Tabitha" is that Sandra Gould (Mrs. Kravitz #2), George Tobias (Mr. Kravitz), and Bernard Fox (Dr. Bombay) reprised their characters on the show.

The Bewitched History Book by David L. Pierce ties in the events of the 60s with each episode 
and breaks down each episode in depth along with rare trivia, photos, and reviews!

Available now at BearManorMedia.com and Amazon.com in both paperback and hardback!

Book%2Bcover%2Bsmallest.JPG

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted June 12 2004 - 06:42 AM

I'd love to see The Golden Palace released as extras (or even its own collection) with The Golden Girls this November.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 09:05 AM

Well, Happy Days has six spin-off shows they could have chosen as one of the extras.

Wasn't Happy Days a spin-off from something else?

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,508 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 09:26 AM

Quote:

Love American Style

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 02:36 PM

Good call, Matt. Here's something I love pointing out to people, direct from the IMDB:

Quote:
[*]Originated as a segment on "Love, American Style" (1969).
[*]It is a common belief that American Graffiti (1973) was the inspiration for this series. In actuality, the pilot for the series (seen on "Love, American Style") aired before George Lucas began production for "Graffiti". However, the success of "Graffiti" caused producer Garry Marshall to reconsider his failed pilot and turn "Happy Days" into a series.
[*]Shortly after the original pilot (which aired on "Love, American Style") went unsold, George Lucas released American Graffiti (1973), a theatrical film with a similar nostalgia theme. Its success caused creator Garry Marshall to reconsider his unsold pilot and helped give ABC the greenlight to make "Happy Days" (1974) a series.
[*]Among the differences between the "Love and the Happy Day" episode on "Love American Style" and its premiere a two years later is that the role of Howard Cunningham originally was played by William Schallert instead of Tom Bosley and that there was no Fonzie on that episode.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike Halverson

Mike Halverson

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 04:54 PM

How about adding Enos to a Dukes of Hazzard set?I think that it would be a good idea to put it on dvd either by itself or packaged with a Dukes season set.I'm sure there's alot of DoH fans that would love to have it.I know I would.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 11:47 PM

Two words: After M*A*S*H.

END TRANSMISSION

CS

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 01:20 AM

I'm surprised noone brought this up, but Punky Brewster's recent release had "23 episodes from the first season, and 4 episodes of the spin-off cartoon"
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 02:11 AM

Quote:

Duh Randy!!

Thanks for reminding me guys the "Love America Style" episode would be a great extra!

I'd rather see the cartoons myself if I had to choose, because I would probably watch them more.
Specially, Mork & Mindy since I don't remember ever seeing more than a few minutes of that show.

I think it's cool what they did with punky brewster if I were a bigger fan I'd buy that set in a heartbeat.

And, what about "The Dukes" cartoon show on a Dukes of Hazzards set

But what about a episode of Droids on the new Star Wars set!!
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Dax P

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted June 13 2004 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, agree with the Enos/Dukes, Florence/Jeffersons, and Tabitha/Bewitched suggestions, because they're close to what I really want- the Wings episodes that had guest appearances by Cheers people- on the Cheers discs, matched to the year they aired... And The Tortellis (13 shows, one or two of which contain other Cheers people), as an 'extra' to Cheers Season 5 (because it's unlikely as hell that it would ever get its OWN release...).

It's very frustrating when things happen like the Homicide/L+O crossover, where whoever has the power to say 'no' says no, and the story's left incomplete on the Homicide disc set.

ER- hope that Third Watch (Susan/Chloe/Little Susie) episode makes it to the ER set... both John Wells productions, shouldn't be any conflict there, right?

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   TomJC

TomJC

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
Among the differences between the "Love and the Happy Day" episode on "Love American Style" and its premiere a two years later is that the role of Howard Cunningham originally was played by William Schallert instead of Tom Bosley and that there was no Fonzie on that episode.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Harold Gould and not William Schallert.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 01:53 AM

There was a Star Trek - The Next Generation half-hour promotion for Star Trek VI that was formatted like a mini-episode of TNG. After their encounter with Spock (also "connective tissue", as Berman and Nimoy called it, with the movie), Troi asks the library computer for information about the original Enterprise missions and crew. The show even had a stardate that fit between the Spock 2-parter and the next episode. That would've been a nice extra for the applicable TNG season box set, or the STVI DVD. Too late, though. Posted Image
-Jay

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 14 2004 - 02:04 AM

Another possible extra is the "Radar" spinoff with Gary Burghoff as Radar back home in Iowa. That could be included as an extra on the MASH set with the 2-parter of Radar leaving (I'm thinking it was the seventh or eighth season, my instinct tells me the seventh).

The mention of "After MASH" is good, but that could be done as either one complete set or two individual season sets, since it ran on TV 1983-85.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   David*P

David*P

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted June 14 2004 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised noone brought this up, but Punky Brewster's recent release had "23 episodes from the first season, and 4 episodes of the spin-off cartoon"

Tory mentioned it earlier in this thread....

...another one I thought of is the "Jeannie" cartoon that was produced by Hanna Barbera. Those would be neat to have on the I Dream of Jeannie sets. There were about 15 episodes of that...they could spread them out over the five season sets....

The Bewitched History Book by David L. Pierce ties in the events of the 60s with each episode 
and breaks down each episode in depth along with rare trivia, photos, and reviews!

Available now at BearManorMedia.com and Amazon.com in both paperback and hardback!

Book%2Bcover%2Bsmallest.JPG

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow