What's new

I'm Depressed.Can you recommend a good comedy DVD to cheer me up (1 Viewer)

I'm 34 years old and in a midst of a very serious depression.Can you recommend a good COMEDY dvd to cheer me up.I need to chuckle again and lately,I am finding it very hard to laugh at anything.If You can Help me find that LAUGH again,I would really appreciate it.Thanks.:frowning:

KyleK

Second Unit
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Office Space
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Adaptation

Those are my favorites, hope this helps.
Remember, once you hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up. If you are seriously depressed, don't hesitate to talk to someone and seek professional help.

Kyle:D

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Princess Bride

Amélie

Most people wouldn't call a Terminator film a comedy... but I can understand why some might... and for the same reason, Conan would work, too. (I have to admit, I haven't seen T3.)

Leo Kerr

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
Let It Ride
My Cousin Vinny
Married To The Mob
Blast From The Past
Ferris Beuller's Day Off

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.I appreciate your courtesy and I will most DEFINITELY consider all your DVD suggestions.
Thanks again,
Michael:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Buck up little camper.....

There's only ONE movie to fix your blues....

BETTER OFF DEAD

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
My favorites. These make me laugh, no matter how many times I watch 'em. Hope you feel better after a good howl.

1. Young Frankenstein
2. Some Like It Hot
3. Blazing Saddles
4. Airplane

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
If you're seriously depressed, you need to see a mental health professional. We might do more harm than good :D

Having said that, I might recommend a TV series set over a movie for more sustained laugh power. The "variations on a theme" effect of the repetion of similar situations over the course of a TV show can have more potential for big laughs than a movie IMHO.

Example: "The Dick Van Dyke Show", just an excellent series, and the case of the frequent jokes by Morey Amsterdam's character at the expense of Richard Deacon's character ... you always knew what was coming whenever he came into the writer's room, the anticipation of the joke made the joke that much funnier when it was eventually delivered.

Also, I would wholeheartedly recommend the recent "SCTV" set, just an incredibly funny show, if you get to know the recurring characters and setups the laughs get multiplied ...

"Monty Python's Flying Circus" ... I saw this series when PBS broadcast it in 1973 as a 13 year old ... it is probably impossible to explain to someone not there the incredible "buzz" this show generated ... that people are still fans 30 years later is tribute to the show's staying power.

If I could recommend some audio only options, I have been a big fan of the Firesign Theater records/cds. "Don't Crush that Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers" and "Everything You Know Is Wrong" are the best, IMHO (I think these should be in print on CD). Listening to these will give your brain a workout also, as the troupe takes the radio idea of "theater of the mind" to psychedelic extremes ... trying to figure out the implicit backstory/subtext of "Dwarf" requires that you pay close attention and definitely demands (and rewards) multiple listens.

Some movie recommendations (all opinions are my own humble, subjective ones):

Blazing Saddles (Brooks's funniest, but a bit uneven)

Young Frankenstein (Brooks's best movie, still has great laughs, but better script and more consistent and better "put together")

Bananas (Woody Allen's early, funny stuff)

Revenge of the Pink Panther (am I the only one who thinks this is the funniest of the series? Oh well ... it might help to see some of the others first)

Hope/Crosby "Road" movies (these just about define "lighthearted", they're usually pretty packed with jokes)

What about cartoons? The Looney Tunes Golden collection is excellent.

Local Hero (not laugh-out-loud funny, but very wry, also bittersweet)

W. C. Fields is underrepresented on DVD, but Six Short Films and The Bank Dick seem to be available. If you are a fan, I believe that the best representation of Fields is his radio recordings from the 30s and 40s, often on the Edgar Bergen show (the Chase & Sanborn show) with Bergen and his characters, Don Ameche, and Fields. I don't know about the current availability of the recordings that CBS put out on LP in the 70s but "The Best of W. C. Fields" on that label is well worth seeking out.

Well that's enough to start. You might also consider the "hot tea in summertime" approach and check out "Cries and Whispers" , "The Passion of Joan of Arc", or some Bresson as an antidote, but only if all else fails :D

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Mike,

I'd reccomend Family Guy first and foremost; it will knock your socks off, and for each 30 min episode, your troubles can fade for at least a little bit. If you like that, and feel like watching a very, very different style of comedy, try Aqua Teen Hunger Force. You'll either completely dig it, or hate it.

The Naked Guns and Airplane always bring a smile to my face as well.

Keep your head up man. I've been through/going through some tough times myself, and luckily there are distractions such as the Internet and DVD's to take your mind off things. Best of luck.

David Yevin

Agent
night shift
office space
there's something about mary
south park - bigger, longer & uncut
beavis and butthead do america
fast times at ridgemont high
amelie
ed wood

i'd like to add vacation

Charles H

Screenwriter
SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (from Criterion). It is the definitive Comedy about Comedy and other far less serious matters. If you like that, try THE LADY EVE also by Preston Sturges and also on Criterion dvd.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I'd definitely recommend "Amelie".
I try and watch it once a month and everytime it still manages to bring a big smile to my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks