What's new

Anthem D1/AVM20/AVM30 (1 Viewer)

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Well I guess I will start it. I allready posted this on AVS, but we all know where the real home of the AVM-XX is!!

I sold my AVM-20 thinking that I would get a D1, but I balked at it. Just too much money and I can mod the 30 later. (after reading the AVM20 vs D1 thread).

The Blue is a definate improvement. The 4 component inputs are great as well. The switching of inputs is very fast. It does have PLIIx on it and came with an insert that stated:

"Dolby Pro Logic IIx is not available with the inital release of the AVM 30. It will be available as an easy on-line software upgrade on our website in the near future, at no charge. We will notify all Anthem Dealers when Pro Logic IIx becomes available."

As for sound, I have not really listened to it yet so I cannot comment.

I got a good deal on the AVM-30 so it was not that much to change to the AVM-30 so I am pretty happy with the move. Now to wait for the mod.

Then I noticed something. The N is missing from the word MAIN. It looks like the right most col is missing from both lines.

So I went into the display menu and checked my settings. This is where it gets interesting...

According to the manual, there should be selections a-m. I am missing i,j, and k. The setting for the Hi, med, and low number settings. And the best part, if I try to scoll down after the last setting, it should go back to the top...it does not...all I get is alot of noise and clicking and poping from the speakers and the display shows garbage and then it shuts off. If I power it on via the power button, it comes on, but does not work right. If I shut it off via the back (real power off) and then turn it back on, it resets itself. Also I changed the setting front wake up to HI and it seems to fixed the front display issue. I guess a call to Nick and Frank is due tomorrow.

I will keep everyone up to date on if this is a software glitch or not.

BTW, the software does say version 2.13 (not letter following it).

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Good idea. Should receive my D1 tomorrow.

Hope you will post your impressions of the AVM30 soon. :emoji_thumbsup:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Brian, so when can I come over to drool and feel jealous?

Just kidding, I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of guy and right now, I am totally content.

But I wasn't kidding about the visit. I think I actually would be a little jealous of the blue, as it would match my Odyssey Stratos lighting.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator

No problem. Once I figure out what the heck is going on with that menu, you are more than welcome to come over...you have to hear the new Von Schweikerts as well.

The blue matches my Krell amp as well :)

The blue really is a big improvment over the old display. At the NY show, the Anthem rep said something about the technology is different, not just the color. LED vs something else I think. Much much easier to read now.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I've never even HEARD that Anthem was coming out with an AVM-30. If anyone could post a link that describes the differences between the AVM-30 and AVM-20, or could post the differences themselves, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brian,
Good luck on the comparison, and I really like your setup. The blue LED sounds pretty cool

Levesque

Supporting Actor
You should see my D1 with the matching LED and faceplate of my P5... :D

BTW, I told everyone 1 month ago that the AVM30 was coming...

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Is Chris Johnson, I believe that's his name, still the guy who is going to provide mod's for the AVM30? If so, what do you think will be mod'd? Isn't the D1 already a mod'd AVM30 seeing as, in specs/theory, it already has better components? Why would you not go with a D1 if you're just buying an AVM30 to mod it ASAP. Won't mod'ing an AVM30 push it to a higher price than the D1 would have cost?

Does anybody know, part by part, EXACTLY what's in a mod'd AVM20 compared to an AVM30 compared to a D1?

These are just questions and I totally respect people's decisions to choose and buy whatever they want.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Chris Johnson did only mod 30 or 40 AVM20. Not thousands. People talk about this like you could find a modded AVM20 AVM30 in any dealer shop... But it's not.

And it's voiding the warranty...

So it's not for everyone. And Anthem will probably add some DSPs or other hardware upgrades to the AVM30 later, but they WON'T do it if you did mod your unit.

So modding the AVM30 will be possible only near the end of it's life-cycle, or your taking a big risk of not having any future DSP or board upgrades...

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Well I heard back from Nick...I am running 2.13, but that is for the AVM20. They do NOT run the same code. The display is a different technology so some things do not exist in its menu system. That is why it went funky on my. They shipped me version 1.01 and I will install tonight.

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
How did Anthem let an AVM30 ship with AVM20 software? I hope, with the current high demand for these new PREAMPS, that Anthem is not letting quality control slip.

On the question side, does the AVM30 and/or D1 allow for one component connection that converts S-VIDEO or COMPOSITE to component? Doesn't the Yamaha Z9 do this?

Is Yamaha's video conversion, since it uses Faroudja, superior to the one incorporated by the AVM30 and D1. Do the AVM30 and D1 use the same video conversion method?

Levesque.....did u get your D1 yet? You must be at home eagerly anticipating it's arrival...can't blame you. Good Luck and happy listening....let us know as soon as you can about what you think:)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Miguel Stanic.

Yes. I got my D1 this morning!

But I will set-up everything tomorrow only. I will post some photos of the D1 with the P5 in my rack. :D

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator

The AVM30 does not. I cannot speak for the D1, but I dont think it does.

Lévesque, you right on target on the Chris Johnson mod. I will be holding off on it. I am still happy with the AVM30, I just did not have cash for the D1 after blowing most of my money on new speakers.

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Levesque......nice shot of your D1. It seems like the rear right foot is missing cause it's slanted a bit in the picture. I'm sure it's not and I'm just teasing nonetheless.

Congrats and let us know how it sounds and operates. I'm drooling......the suspense is killing me. Enjoy your weekend and forget specs.....just listen, listen and listen.

Congrats on your AVM30 also Brian. Let us know how it sounds and operates in comparison to the AVM20.

If feels like Christmas cause everyone is getting new toys:)

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Lévesque,

Can we get a picture of the D1 sitting on the P5 to see how they match? Or of both of them in a rack? Would like to see a "real" picture of the P5 as well.
Thanks.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Sure. The D1 and P5 are going in the rack tomorrow evening, so I will take some shots.

That picture of the D1 was taken on the floor, while performing the firmware upgrade.

But the P5 is a beast, so I need a friend to move it. So I will post some shoots tomorrow. :D

Mark C.

''Looks like a Rotel with a lot more itty-bitty buttons. ''

I did own the Rotel RSP-1066 and did try the RSP-1098, and I can assure you, the D1 looks like a Rotel , but it's in a different league sonically...

BTW, I did pay LESS for the D1 then the best price I could find on the RSP-1098 in Canada!!! :D

Paul Gere

Second Unit
OK - I'll re-up the question:

Where can we find more info. on the AVM30 and better understand how it differs from the AVM20?

I came up blank on the Sonic Frontiers web site.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
The AVM30 is in a ''soft-launch'' state right now, and specs and infos will show-up on Anthem site only in 30-60 days.

That's what my Anthem rep told me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks