What's new

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Season Two started tonight. A lot of promising new comics as well as ones I've seen on CC Presents and Premium Blend. Looking forward to this season.
They premiered Dat Phan's CC Presents last Friday and it wasn't very good. His delivery is poor, he's still recycling material that he used on the show already and relying HEAVILY on the mom routine. I wish his mom would say "Dat Phan, write new material!"

"My name's Buck Star. Welcome to the Buck Star show."

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I have watched all the episodes of both seasons so far, because my love of stand-up has not limits. This is probably the neatest reality show to date. I already have my favorites!

Ryan

"I like my women like I like my..."

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Buck Star kicked ass! He should have moved on by default for spending so much $$$ on gas/plane tickets :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I was actually a bit dissappointed by how many comics I recognised. Was hoping for more new talent.

But now that they've gotten this far, I hope to see some of my faves in the house.

Jim Norton is my favorite working comic (he was on Opie & Anthony a lot and I've seen him in New York a bunch of times). I was surprised he was in Florida, not New York, probably working there for a bit. Even when they said they'd have only one spot I knew they'd pick him. The others had no chance. At the same time, he'd never stand a chance at winning the whole thing, as too many people would find him crass. I definitely want to see him in the house, pink nipples and all.

Louis Ramey is great, an all-around talent that would make a good TV star. Pablo Francisco has a few good routines. I'm surprised he didn't pull out his most famous bit, the movie announcer schtick.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I liked the Vladimir kid and the Indian guy with the short beard.

Dat Phan's Comedy Central special was a mess.

~T

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I was hoping that Buck Star would go through that whole routine of his and then blow them away with some genuine standup.

I like the choices so far. I think if the husband and wife team make it all the way to the house things could get very interesting.

Also, the team that is judging them tonight is going to be interesting with one of the comics from last year as one of the judges. I am surprised they didn't have Dat Phan as one of the judges.

All in all I think we are in for some really good stand up this time around as more of the contestants having been doing stand up for several years.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My wife read something in TV Guide last week that said in the first season the Judges didn't want some of the people in the house who ended up there. Does anyone know what this is about?

Also, Dat Phan should not have won last year. He has one routine and that grows old very quickly. Their were 3 or 4 funnier people in the house who should have won over Dat.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Heh. Surprise surprise.

I don't watch this for the competition aspect, just to see comics rip on each other and do stupid shit to get noticed. I frankly can't believe anyone takes the competition aspect of this or American Idol so seriously.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see so many familiar faces too. It was also one of the rare times when I picked every single person that would make it to the semi-finals.

That's disappointing to hear that the judges have no affect on who makes it to the house. There were only about 3 that I liked last year, and none were the top 2. At least they still show up on Tough Crowd.

I'll still watch it though. Curious to see what happens in the house and if they do any more "hide and don't seek" games. :D

Can't believe that Ant is going to be in the house though. ughhh

...and welcome to the Buck Star show. :emoji_thumbsup:

NolanJ

Second Unit
I have no faith that they will honor the "phone in" votes now after reading what some of the guest judges said.

Makes me wonder if Ralphie May truly got robbed last year... hmmmmmm.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Dat Phan is not dat funny. :D Thank you, thank you, I'll be posting here all week. Welcome to the Gregg Shiu Show.

Seriously, I was so shocked when they went to one of the first towns and had comedians like Todd Glass and Kathleen Madigan, one of the funniest comedians, let alone female comedians, alive auditioning. I thought the premise was to find the best undiscovered comics in America. If you were going for the best already known comic, I believe he's got his own show on Comedy Central right now. 'I'm Rich, Bitch' ring any bells? No? How about Brian Regan? Or what about that Seinfeld fellow, I hear he's some sort of comedian, and has a show that isn't half bad. But since, like RyanAn, my love for standup comedy is limitless, I'll continuing watching this season. I really hope it ends up with Kathleen, Pablo, that Paul Varghese guy, and some other talented comedians to decide from in the end.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
What a joke (pun intended).

When someone like Pablo Fransico is out already, you know it has nothing to do with talent. That guy is easily in the top 5 great working comics today. This show is so rigged...*gah*...I am choking on my own rage here!

Chris

Senior HTF Member

So, basically, Drew Carey and Brett Butler, both comics I think have had decent careers, say openly the thing is rigged. Both apparently favored one comic they put near the top (Dan Naturman?) and instead, a comic they thought bombed got into the finals because he happened to be gay.

This is not an anti-gay rant, nor anything saying anything about his preference.. but if the judges and audience have no say and the producers just want to fill a quota, all these preliminaries could have been avoided and they could have picked whatever balanced group they wanted... instead, they make it all a sham. I'd feel bad to be the one guy who got into the house who judges thought was terrible.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I don't think it had anything to do with Ant being gay:

I'll still watch the show, but my respect for the producers and some of the contestants is gone. They passed over some good talent just to get their friends on the show. The indian guy who joked about his father was hilarious.

My pick so far: Alonzo Bodden.
"Would you have started with the Bed, Bath, and Bodyworks joke in front of a black audience?"
"Nah, cause black people don't use sheets"

:laugh:

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks