Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help selecting HDTV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Dom P

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 11:04 AM

Here are the requirements. Must have a digital tuner and be at least 32" and be under $1,000.

My number one choice is the Sanyo at Walmart, $747 I love their 60 day return policy so if I don't like it, back it goes.

The second choice was the Zenith c32v37. It used to be sold at BB for $900, but all of a sudden they don't sell it anymore. I see the v36 on the website and the stores don't have any Zenith CRTs. I asked them and they said they don't carry them anymore. I can't find it locally anywhere. I'd like to pick up the TV because I don't want the $100-$150 trucking fees.

I heard Samsung is pretty crappy so I'd like to stay away from them.

Any suggestions?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan

Dan

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 11:35 AM

I'd say, why settle for the Sanyo? Just save up some extra duckets and spend it on a bigger, better TV from Hitachi, Sony or Mitsubishi.

And Samsung actually doesn't suck- they've got some of the most innovative technologies going and one of the hottest HDTVs out there as far as the general public is concerned.

If you want any advice, it would be to be veeeeery picky and look beyond Wal-Mart.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Dom P

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 11:59 AM

It must have a tuner. So far I've only seen Zenith, Sanyo, and Samsung bother to include them.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan

Dan

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 07:36 AM

I picked up a sony XBR a bout 6 months ago- it comes with an HD tuner, though you pay for it. In most cases, you don't need one, as Cable and Dish usually have them to receive their HD feeds anyway(I use Dish, and the tuner in my Sony is useless at this point as I can't receive and HD signals from location). If you want to pick them up off the free airwaves, then you'll need one built in for your antennae...