What's new

Mystic River Delux version shortage? (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Is anyone else having a problem finding this set?

I went to 2 Best Buy stores and a Circuit City before I finally found it at Target.

Other message boards have users reporting that they cannot find the set.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect it will be harder to find than the regular edition, mainly because of the so-called consumer preference for the single disc version and the rather high price.
For what it's worth, I went to Circuit City earlier and they only had the single disc version, but right when I was checking out the clerk brought out a few copies of the deluxe version, so I grabbed one ($29.99).

Edwin_M

Agent
I searched for the 3-disc edition at the Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Wal-Mart in Salem, NH and none of them had it, just the 1-disc. I decided to try checking the Best Buy in Nashua, NH and there it was and for only $20.99. This had to be a misprice because it's in the flyer for $29.99.

Cory-C

Grip
I work at a Best Buy in Wisconsin and we did not get the 3-disc version in right away.

We currently have 66 on order, so at some point in time that order will be filled. I would expect it to happen in the next couple of days, as opposed to weeks.

I decided to just bide my time, because I definitely want the extras on this film. (And the discount might help a little :) )

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I saw one copy at Best Buy. I didn't see any at Circuit City or Target. I didn't even notice the 20.99 price until I looked at the receipt later. That was a nice surprise.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
The 3 discs seem to be advertised this week, but I thought there was a 2 disc available also. This version was sans the CD. The folks over on the Coupons and Bargains part of HTF are having trouble finding the 3 and haven't had any reports of the 2.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
There is no 2 disc version. There is only a single disc widescreen, a single disc fullframe, and the three disc deluxe edition.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't think there *is* a 2-disc version...though the 1-disc is pretty much priced like one, IMO, for around here. Tons of the 3-disc ones locally, don't know if I like the movie that much, will think about it, costs as much as The Simpsons 4:D ...

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Pat... Jay and Craig are correct. There was mention of a 2 disc set that was incorrectly reported on another review site. There is the Deluxe version (3 discs) and two versions of the single disc (widescreen and fullscreen) in a snapper case...

Herb.

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
My Best Buy had a ton of copies of the 3-disc in the same display as the 1-disc wide and fullscreens. Also noticed that despite the sticker and flyer info, it rang up $20.99.

Tyler Ruggeri

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I was at Sam Goody and the had a number of the 3-Disc sets. No 2-Disc set in sight, just widescreen and fullscreen titles. I passed up the 3-Disc today and got the 2-Disc Field of Dreams at Wal-Mart which came with the bonus disc. I'll pick up Mystic sometiem in the future.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Was at Costco, Best Buy and Wal*Mart. Did not even bother with Circuit City, because the one near me is horrendous when it comes to their stock. Did not see one of the three disc versions anywhere. One of the big reasons why I wish studios would cut it with the separate Bare Bones/Deluxe Edition releases. For some reason some people believe it provides a cheaper alternative, which I think is a farce as the price of the bare bones is still right around the same price point as what previous SEs went for.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I was at my Wal-Mart Supercenter and they had the space for the 3-Disc set, and it was going for about $27, but they didn't have any on the shelf. They have been pretty bad about putting new releases on the shelf. Granted this supercenter jsut opened two weeks ago. But today I just saw Wyatt Earp, Great Escape, and Good bad and Ugly SEs, as well as several other releases there too. I hope they improve because they have and have been getting many of my favorite titles in, at better prices and availability than other stores near me.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My local BB had the 3D version on a 'new release' table marked at the surprising unadvertised $20.99. Needless to say, at that price I picked up a copy (essentially a $5 differential between it and the bare bones minimum pricing). I believe BB made a last minute decision to drop their prices after what was a bit of an outcry about the elevated pricing of essentially a 2 disk SE with a CD. At $20.99 it is much more appealing. BB lost a bit of business by not advertising this but may have been caught in a MSRP bind which probably came in at the $26.99 I have seen with some online players (Costco.com Buy.com).

Joel

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Wee bit of a struggle Tuesday morning. Felt like giving up, but... one more stop- why not?- none of the stops were very far from one another... and the more elusive something is, the more trouble you'll accept in getting it... you start wanting it more than you did BEFORE your shopping began...

Best Buy didn't have any, and I overheard an employee saying a Target employee was in saying they and Wal-Mart didn't get any, either... Ultimate Electronics didn't have it (but had an advertised price- for the three disc- of $15.99, which I figured was a mistake- wrong picture, but a definite wanna-price-match-THAT-at-BB). Sam's Club- nope. Costco- nope. Another BB- no, but a helpful employee gets on the computer and finds an inventory of 116 copies at... the first store I went to. So I go back there, a little over an hour after being there the first time.

They were ringing up 20.99. Got the 15.99 price match from Ultimate without any problem. Happy result.

I think some places might have just not bothered to unpack them from boxes if they read 'Mystic River' and they already had a bunch of the singles out and ready to go... ran across several store workers unaware the 3 disc sets existed...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks