-

Photo
- - - - -

Buck Rogers in the 21st Century

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
243 replies to this topic

#1 of 244 OFFLINE   Stephane

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 03:27 PM

Ok I have not perused the forum in a while and from what I did see there was not a thread with this title yet. I remember watching this as a kid in the ( what was it late 70's or early 80's, i am not sure ) it has been to long. All I remember is that I like the show nd I would not mind starting to save money to get that collection. There were not to many episodes from what I remember. Maybe like 1 or 2 seasons. But I would pick them both up at one point.

I have found Space 1999 and that is my next plan of attack. I finished off Babylon 5 and I refuse to pay $165.00 CDN for Voyager. Even with the deal at $118.oo Not interested.

So if anyone has any type of news it would be great to hear it.

#2 of 244 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 03:58 PM

I think Season One is coming later this year for the 25th Anniversary....I think there were only 1 1/2 Seasons because of the Writer's Strike in 1980.

#3 of 244 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 08 2004 - 01:57 AM

Yep, only ran for a year and a half, yep it is coming to DVD. But also you called it Buck rogers in the 21st century, and thats not right, look for him in the 25th century. I know i have read some stuff on here about it...but not more than it is coming. Love Space:1999 by the way.

#4 of 244 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 02:58 AM

This was another of Glen Larson's classic "Star Wars" cash-in shows that was so full of cheese, I actually enjoyed it. They had some pretty decent episodes that first season. Of course, I remember the two-part premiere being released theatrically with an alternate opening and end credits sequence, then when it came on TV it was re-edited and expanded with some different footage (like what happened with "Battlestar Galactica") that looked like it was shot for TV and not for the feature film.

The second season was okay, as they went into a "Star Trek"-type direction of exploring strange new worlds and seeking out... well, shoot, y'all bound to know the litany by now! Posted Image

This series I wouldn't mind seeing on DVD.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#5 of 244 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 03:48 AM

Great first season and not so good second season.

a must buy though
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 244 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 04:44 AM

I'd be really impressed with Universal if they released the original movie as a standalone disc in widescreen, and then included the TV version with the Season 1 set. They did this with Battlestar Galactica (of course, the movie had already been released).

I've caught some episodes of this recently on SciFi. I loved it as a kid, and I guess it's kinda silly now, but it's silly in that way that you can still enjoy it. Even though Star Wars is probably the main reason it got produced, there is some genuine imagination here, and its legacy predates Star Wars by several decades.

I'd probably buy at least the first season if it were reasonably priced.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#7 of 244 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 04:49 AM

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 of 244 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 07:28 AM

Buck Rogers was alot more cheesy than battlestar Galactica, I caught a few BR shows and believe me they don't hold up, Space Vampires and all. Not to mention Gary Coleman. Pass.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#9 of 244 OFFLINE   Stephane

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 07:53 AM

Yep I have to admite that Gary Colman was a streatch, but he was a child star at the time. I want it only for Princess Ardala ( not sure the actrices name ) and Erin Gray. It will be intreasting to watch it even though it is Cheese. Lets face it stuff from that era had no inhanced computer graphics to back them up. Even B5 for me looses it when all we see is computer generated graphics and that has to be one of the best written SCI-Fi show I have ever seen.

So Cheesy as it may be, I would still like to get it. And if there is only 1 1/2 seasons, it would be cool if they all came out in the same box set.

#10 of 244 OFFLINE   Todd_B

Todd_B

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 08:03 AM

I'll be picking this up for sure.

IIRC, Hawk had one bad ass ship Posted ImagePosted Image

Todd B
Darmok and Jilad, at Tanagra.

#11 of 244 OFFLINE   Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 08:39 AM

Count me in on picking up the Complete 1 & 1/2 Seasons of Buck Rogers on DVD! I saw the movie and loved the show...

bee-dee bee-dee bee-dee bee-dee

isn't how that little robot used to talk?

Posted Image

#12 of 244 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,507 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 08 2004 - 08:59 AM

Tweekie's female companion's "booty booty" still gives me the chills from the cheese factor. But I'd probably still get the set if it comes out. I didn't realize it was only 1.5 seasons. As a kid it seemed it went for much longer than that.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#13 of 244 OFFLINE   Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted June 08 2004 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
I want it only for Princess Ardala ( not sure the actrices name ) and Erin Gray.

That would be the lovely Pamela Hensley, one of the foxiest (boy, that's an old 70s slang term!) women to ever appear on TV.

#14 of 244 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 11:27 AM

Yeah Princess Ardala was HOT!!!

#15 of 244 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted June 08 2004 - 02:51 PM

Here, here, here, and here (go all the way to the bottom on that last one) for Buck news at TVShowsOnDVD.com! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 244 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 03:24 AM

MmmMMMm... Erin Grey. Posted Image

Yeah.. this show was sooooo cheesy. Still loved it though.

I still remember chuckling at "Dr. Theopolis" saying "my! You ARE a handsome man, Buck!" (Good lord... I remember that?)

bee-dee-bee-dee-bee-dee-Okay-Buck!

#17 of 244 OFFLINE   david_slater

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 04:50 AM

count me in big time for buck... Posted Image Posted Image
would be nice as a complete box set.

***** My DVD List

#18 of 244 OFFLINE   DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 07:35 AM

I'm in for Buck as well. I was eight when this show premiered and I couldn't get enough of it.

Plus, looking back, Erin Grey was easily one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. That alone would make the purchase worth it!

#19 of 244 OFFLINE   david_slater

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 05:40 PM

ha... i was about 24 when they showed it as a movie.
looked good on the big screen then... Posted Image

***** My DVD List

#20 of 244 OFFLINE   Stephane

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted June 12 2004 - 05:24 AM

Well this is nice seeing that people like the show, lets just hope that the box set will be done right. I just remembered a few of the ships that they had. Nothing like whe we are puting out today in CGI.

Well when people get info on the release date I hope to see it up here.