What's new

Family friendly movies vs harry potter & shrek! (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I know that both shrek and harry potter are very popular movies. This post is not about me liking both harry potter or shrek. I know that some parents might not want to take the kids to watch those movies because of the adult themes or witchcraft material.. There are other family movie that are friendly to audience 10 years and younger. I know that some might consider garfield a bad idea. This movie is more of a family movie that you can take the young kids and not worry about the adult material or witchcraft themes that harry potter and shrek 2 have.

I am sure there are other movies that would also quiafly as more family friendly then both shrek 2 and harry potter.

so parents with kids, that do not want to expose the kids to shrek or harry potter. I do suggest take the kids to watch garfield the movie.
It's also a very short movie compared to harry potter.

Enjoy!

Jacob

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I'm a slight bit incensed at the idea of equating witchcraft with "not family friendly", but I do recognize that there are people/parents out there who do (and is their perogative, of course). The Harry Potter series may not be "family friendly" for some reasons (violence and/or its inherently darker narrative could be considered signficant issues), but a positive portrayal of witchcraft is not, in and of itself, a family "unfriendly" issue, any more than any other positive portrayal of something fictitious in a fantasy setting -- it's all about the context, not the device itself.

To your question ... are you asking for films in theatres right now? Personally I don't know of any. Actually, I'd be worried, though, about giving an answer, because the range of issues that any family might deem offensive is extremely broad and various. There are, though, other websites dedicated toward exactly this issue (dove.org, decentfilms.org, etc.). I really don't think this is a good place to get *any* kind of consensus on what constitutes a "family friendly" film, as this forum contains members of all walks of life with differing ideas of what a "family friendly" film means.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
I don't think kids will become Necromancers and using Goetia just because they watch Harry Potter...!

I don't like when parents control what's the kids watch. Come on, Harry Potter and Shrek are also for the kids... (Okay, they're maybe not a sweet politically correct movie with littles birds who sings some love songs...) but, at least, they're not gorry movies with the magical key for releasing an inexistant devil! :)

Garfield will maybe be a cute little movie, but the trailer has nothing to do with the real cat in the comic book...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I knew this thread was about Garfield the second I saw it. Jacob, if I promise to go see it, will you drop it already??

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
jacob,

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I have a three year old daughter who loves watching movies with her dad, but I will not take her to see Shrek 2. My wife and I let her watch Shrek with us a couple of times and we found ourselves saying things like, "They're not talking very nicely," and "That's mean," just a little too often. Thanks for the heads up on Garfield.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I concur with an above poster: do you have a vested interest in Garfield?

Garfield looks, and reads not very family friendly. Rewards for a cat that practices gluttony, jealousy, and others of the seven deadlies ;)

If you're willing to go out and say HP3/Shrek2 aren't very family friendly (I enjoyed both, with HP3 a little more) then may I suggest a true, all ages family friendly film "Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie" ? :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
thank you very much for the kind comments. I do not work for fox. there is a lesson to be learned in garfield which is more or less the toy story plot line.. true that garfield is a selfish cat. He does learn his lesson, to a degree. its also a very funny movie.

JACOB

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jacob, Have you even seen Garfield yet? If you have give us a review, if not, why start another thread (You already have a Garfield thread in existence right?).

Your obsession with this film is very amusing, although subtly knocking Shrek and Potter without having seen Garfield yet seems bit strange.

BTW, Everyone that I have spoken to who has seen the Garfield trailer thinks it looks absolutely horrible.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that was my take on the trailer too.. Garfield should remain in my paper and as a halloween cartoon.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know quite a few people who thought
(wrongly, in my opinion) that
The Passion of the Christ was a great "family film."

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If I had a kid who wanted to see a Breckin Meyer vehicle over Harry Potter or Shrek, I'd punch the little son of a bitch in the face.

Okay, I really shouldn't have kids.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Maybe that review will finally clue Jacob in to what the rest of us already predicted!;)

I predict further scathing reviews. "A second rate CGI abomination." The perfect Rotten Tomatoes quote!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Harry Potter (and The Wizard of Oz, and most Disney films such as Snow White) are definitely not "not family friendly" films. What they are is "not fundamentalist extremist family films", since they have witches in them. Of course I've seen some of these people who would object to Garfield because it anthropomorizes a cat and that gives kids the impression that a cat would have a soul, which violates their belief structure.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
How can you say that! This review reads as though it will be a hit of monumental purportions:

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article884.html

This opening paragraph tells me it's a winner.

I have to wonder if Jacob is on the take, or if he's even seen it or what the deal is that he buzzards in on threads to drum up support for a film. Do you get residuals or were you in the film or what's the deal? ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't think Jacob has seen it. I believe he has read the novelization though and we all know how indicative they are of their films.:D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Do a search and you'll see Jacob has more than 1000 posts. I kinda doubt any shill would hang out here so much. He has some weird boner for Garfield, but I don't think the accusatory comments are correct or appropriate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks