Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Family friendly movies vs harry potter & shrek!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#1 of 157 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 03:59 PM

I know that both shrek and harry potter are very popular movies. This post is not about me liking both harry potter or shrek. I know that some parents might not want to take the kids to watch those movies because of the adult themes or witchcraft material.. There are other family movie that are friendly to audience 10 years and younger. I know that some might consider garfield a bad idea. This movie is more of a family movie that you can take the young kids and not worry about the adult material or witchcraft themes that harry potter and shrek 2 have.

I am sure there are other movies that would also quiafly as more family friendly then both shrek 2 and harry potter.

so parents with kids, that do not want to expose the kids to shrek or harry potter. I do suggest take the kids to watch garfield the movie.
It's also a very short movie compared to harry potter.

Enjoy!

Jacob

#2 of 157 OFFLINE   Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 05:02 PM

I'm a slight bit incensed at the idea of equating witchcraft with "not family friendly", but I do recognize that there are people/parents out there who do (and is their perogative, of course). The Harry Potter series may not be "family friendly" for some reasons (violence and/or its inherently darker narrative could be considered signficant issues), but a positive portrayal of witchcraft is not, in and of itself, a family "unfriendly" issue, any more than any other positive portrayal of something fictitious in a fantasy setting -- it's all about the context, not the device itself.

To your question ... are you asking for films in theatres right now? Personally I don't know of any. Actually, I'd be worried, though, about giving an answer, because the range of issues that any family might deem offensive is extremely broad and various. There are, though, other websites dedicated toward exactly this issue (dove.org, decentfilms.org, etc.). I really don't think this is a good place to get *any* kind of consensus on what constitutes a "family friendly" film, as this forum contains members of all walks of life with differing ideas of what a "family friendly" film means.

DVDs (24 Feb 2006): Discs - 2579, Titles - 1688 (Avg. 17 Titles/Month) • Films I've Seen: 20052004200320022001

#3 of 157 OFFLINE   Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 06:34 PM

I don't think kids will become Necromancers and using Goetia just because they watch Harry Potter...!

I don't like when parents control what's the kids watch. Come on, Harry Potter and Shrek are also for the kids... (Okay, they're maybe not a sweet politically correct movie with littles birds who sings some love songs...) but, at least, they're not gorry movies with the magical key for releasing an inexistant devil! Posted Image

Garfield will maybe be a cute little movie, but the trailer has nothing to do with the real cat in the comic book...

#4 of 157 OFFLINE   Travis_S

Travis_S

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted June 05 2004 - 07:56 PM

Do you work for 20th Century Fox or something?

#5 of 157 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 10:38 PM

I knew this thread was about Garfield the second I saw it. Jacob, if I promise to go see it, will you drop it already??
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#6 of 157 OFFLINE   Greg Walker

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 12:56 AM

jacob,

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I have a three year old daughter who loves watching movies with her dad, but I will not take her to see Shrek 2. My wife and I let her watch Shrek with us a couple of times and we found ourselves saying things like, "They're not talking very nicely," and "That's mean," just a little too often. Thanks for the heads up on Garfield.
G. Walker

#7 of 157 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 02:32 AM

Quote:
so parents with kids, that do not want to expose the kids to shrek or harry potter. I do suggest take the kids to watch garfield the movie.
It's also a very short movie compared to harry potter.

I concur with an above poster: do you have a vested interest in Garfield?

Garfield looks, and reads not very family friendly. Rewards for a cat that practices gluttony, jealousy, and others of the seven deadlies Posted Image

If you're willing to go out and say HP3/Shrek2 aren't very family friendly (I enjoyed both, with HP3 a little more) then may I suggest a true, all ages family friendly film "Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie" ? Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#8 of 157 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,027 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 02:51 AM

thank you very much for the kind comments. I do not work for fox. there is a lesson to be learned in garfield which is more or less the toy story plot line.. true that garfield is a selfish cat. He does learn his lesson, to a degree. its also a very funny movie.

JACOB

#9 of 157 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,789 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 06 2004 - 05:06 AM

Quote:
I knew this thread was about Garfield the minute I saw it!
Ditto!Posted Image

Quote:
It's also a very funny movie.
Jacob, Have you even seen Garfield yet? If you have give us a review, if not, why start another thread (You already have a Garfield thread in existence right?).

Your obsession with this film is very amusing, although subtly knocking Shrek and Potter without having seen Garfield yet seems bit strange.

BTW, Everyone that I have spoken to who has seen the Garfield trailer thinks it looks absolutely horrible.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#10 of 157 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 05:11 AM

Yeah, that was my take on the trailer too.. Garfield should remain in my paper and as a halloween cartoon.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#11 of 157 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,639 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 09:20 AM

I know quite a few people who thought
(wrongly, in my opinion) that
The Passion of the Christ was a great "family film."

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#12 of 157 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 09:27 AM

If I had a kid who wanted to see a Breckin Meyer vehicle over Harry Potter or Shrek, I'd punch the little son of a bitch in the face.

Okay, I really shouldn't have kids.

#13 of 157 OFFLINE   Travis_S

Travis_S

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted June 06 2004 - 09:46 AM

http://movie-reviews..../garfield.html

#14 of 157 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,789 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 06 2004 - 09:59 AM

Maybe that review will finally clue Jacob in to what the rest of us already predicted!Posted Image

I predict further scathing reviews. "A second rate CGI abomination." The perfect Rotten Tomatoes quote!

#15 of 157 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 10:03 AM

Harry Potter (and The Wizard of Oz, and most Disney films such as Snow White) are definitely not "not family friendly" films. What they are is "not fundamentalist extremist family films", since they have witches in them. Of course I've seen some of these people who would object to Garfield because it anthropomorizes a cat and that gives kids the impression that a cat would have a soul, which violates their belief structure.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#16 of 157 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 10:07 AM

How can you say that! This review reads as though it will be a hit of monumental purportions:

http://www.filmjerk....article884.html

Quote:
Let me start by saying this: This is one of the most unoriginal, unfunny and most predictable scripts that I have ever read— I laughed not once. I did, however, roll my eyes at nearly every gag here; on the rest of the jokes I simply threw the script on the floor. Do you know someone who tells really bad jokes incessantly? You know how you eventually want to smack them upside the head to make them stop? That’s the exact feeling I had reading this script.

This opening paragraph tells me it's a winner.

I have to wonder if Jacob is on the take, or if he's even seen it or what the deal is that he buzzards in on threads to drum up support for a film. Do you get residuals or were you in the film or what's the deal? Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

#17 of 157 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,789 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 06 2004 - 10:14 AM

I don't think Jacob has seen it. I believe he has read the novelization though and we all know how indicative they are of their films.Posted Image

#18 of 157 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,306 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
I have to wonder if Jacob is on the take, or if he's even seen it or what the deal is that he buzzards in on threads to drum up support for a film. Do you get residuals or were you in the film or what's the deal?

Do a search and you'll see Jacob has more than 1000 posts. I kinda doubt any shill would hang out here so much. He has some weird boner for Garfield, but I don't think the accusatory comments are correct or appropriate...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#19 of 157 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 10:17 AM

Where's David Manning when you need him?

#20 of 157 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 10:18 AM

From James B's review:

Quote:
This a neutered Garfield, one part tomcat and three parts pussy

Ouch.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow