What's new

Oh my goodness...I'm getting an SVS!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Man, I'm loving my new position at work (Home Electronics Sales). I'm finally going to be able to afford a complete upgrade overhall to my current Home Theater. I'm planning on stepping into the real world (only have a Kenwood HTB-504 right now) and I'm looking to get all the power and quality that I can afford. Currently, I've decided on these speakers:

Paradigm Reference Studio 100s for the mains
Paradigm Reference Studio 20s for the surrounds
Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 for the center channel

Most may remember my posts from eons ago deciding on these for my ultimate audio system when I can finally afford it. Well, I can finally afford it. Now all I gotta do is compare these to the signature series and find out if I prefer the Signatures over the Reference Studios. Man, decisions decisions!

And, of course, the granddaddy of all SVS subwoofers:

The SVS 16-39 PCi!! I was considering the 20-39 PCi but since it's only a $50 difference I might as well splurge and get the best of the best.

Oh, BTW -- my receiver is going to be the Onkyo TXSR601! :D

Oh, my GOD I'm so excited. I'm finally going to be getting my dream audio system! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm planning on upgrading by next weekend at the earliest. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dustin_Taylor

Stunt Coordinator

That is a fine sub, but just remember the 25-31 will give you more output for about 95% of most DVD's.

Great system, BTW, you SHOULD be really excited.:emoji_thumbsup:

terence

Supporting Actor

I would not say the 16-46PCI is the best of the best in that line. Each enclosure is tailored to different room, taste and listening habits. The cost difference is between the subs has to do with the increase in material for each sub as they get larger in size, and the lower the tunning goes. I think you should e-mail SVS with your room measurements, listening habits, taste, and description. So you pick out the best sub for your HT enviroment.

Have fun! :emoji_thumbsup:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
By all means yes, Give SVS a holler and see what they have to say.

The sub you have been using does not even come mutely distant in performance to a SVS.

Congrats

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
If you are truly looking for the best you should listen to the new Utopia sub from JM Lab. 128 dB SPL at 16 Hz. Critics say it just might be the holy grail of subs.
The price is 6 000 $ USD.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robert... You seem like a fun guy. Can you post a link to the review where the Utopia sub was able to deliver 128 dB at 16 HZ?

Thanks !

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Denfinetly email SVS and follow the questioning advisment of the others above.

Also do not limit yourself to just SVS, tho they and only a couple others offer the most sub for the dollar.

You might also look into HSU, and some of the other internet companys like ACI, Adire, and Stryke ~{"Completed Sub Kits"}~ along with the SVS.

Also if you didn't know, a few SVS tube subs are up for sale currently in the Hardware For Sale section here at HTF... SVS's warranty is transferable, someone will correct me if I'm wrong for sure..

SVS will certainly suggest what might serve you best for your room and listening habbits and are very good at that.
They have even been known to offer/suggest up a different brand/model subs to look into for certain rooms and what one needs/wants...

This is NOT intended to stear you away from any SVS sub, to the contrary!!!

In ones excietment to get their dream system and sub, ~{as you put it}~, "a quick decision" can some times be very regreted later....:angry:

That goes for any and all pieces you might select while in buyer giddyness!
Have fun and enjoy what ever you end up with for your completed system....

Regards
Geoff

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have an SVS PB2+ but AV123.com has come out recently with their own sub UFW10 (I think thats the number) soon to follow with a 12" and ultra models. I am anxious to try them against my SVS. Lots of people with big rooms have been picking up two of the 10's which can be done for under 1k I think. Just another option. I do love my SVS though until something comes out that will beat it!

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure it would hit 128db, maybe higher.........IN A CAR!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it looks nice, but no way it does that in any normal size room.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
JMlab is not known to flub spec's horribly like other manfactures, but this is really pushing the envelope.
Speaking to the sub mentioned and can b seen here

I read that 128 at 1-meter was recorded, but no mention of that number coming at at 16Hz.

Nice sub and most likely dose sound excellent, but 128db at 16Hz, nope. I'll belive it when it measured by TN if that ever happens.
I do/did find their flared slot load porting with it's fancy name interesting tho and how their applying it...

I'd imagine eq-ing is definetly applied with it's relativilty small size cabinet.

Not bashing on the JM-lab Utopia-BE sub, just my point of view with the info I found and read to this point...
Damn fine looking tho!!!

Cheers
Geoff

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robert, Assuming a corner loaded position, to achieve 124 dB at one meter@16 Hz, a sealed unit would have to move approximately 5000^3 inches of air per stroke.

A 16 inch driver has an effective diameter that is smaller, but using the 16 inches, take the 5000/64/3.14159 and it would require a throw of about 25 inches...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
it would require a throw of about 25 inches...

Now that's one hell of a throw!!:rolleyes

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You don't need to go very far to come across all kinds of bunk stated capabilities. Many times they are correct statements but worded very carefully as to mislead the reader.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The website states that this Utopia sub uses a slot port with a cross sectional area of 50dm^2. That's roughly equivalent to a 9.9" diameter port.

The enclosure has an internal volume of roughly 120L (not subtracting bracing, the driver or the amount of volume the slot port takes up). Then I was generous and said the port would be 20" long. This works out to a tuning frequency of over 40hz. I'd like to see it even hit 90dB at 16hz :p)

terence

Supporting Actor
This sub....

will hit 128dbs @ 16Hz! Not to be a skeptic, but damn! Maybe in a walk in closet??!! :confused:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call the ISD series "the best" while the Ultras are still in production.

That being said I love my PCI SVS!

The only thing that could make me happier is if SVS lets me win the pc+ they are giving away along with their customer survey (wink wink, nudge nudge).

PS: It'll be my birthday soon, my dog died, my wife left me, and I may have cancer :frowning:

PPS: Not really, I just want to win.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
OH Garrett:frowning: I am so sorry to inform you that the "PC+ giveaway" is a done deal. Another day might fair out better for you though. Go ahead and get up tomorrow and see what comes your way.

Nice pic terence and Dustin as usual leaves very little wiggle room to think any differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks