What's new

good reciever in $500 range (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
would be looking out for a new reciever soon and would greatly appreciate your inputs on good 6.1/7.1 recievers in this price range.. im willing to budge a little if reqd and am also ok with refurbished items.. i guess any pick from yamaha/onkyo/denon/harmo kardon would be good, but if i can get particular model suggestions that would be fantastic.. i would be powering energy bookshelves with these.. 2 C3's up front, C1's surround and CC1 center. Also if u can add where i can get the best deal for the suggested reciever nothing like it :)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
You might want to hit ecost and look up some Denons, HK, and some of the other brands.

HK also is on Ebay directly and you might be real shocked what you can get if you bid right...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I noticed that the HTR-5790 and the RX-V1400 seem to be identical. True?

Daman

Second Unit
thanks a lot for your inputs Eric,Eddie.. i went to best buy today and quite liked 5760, 110 WX7 should be be really good for the setup.. any particular model in Denon and Onkyo anyone of you can recommend too in the same range so that i can compare.. I saw some good deals for the yamaha 5760 as well as 5790 on ebay, thanks for the tip.. im a bit sckeptical about harmon kardon because i have heard the recievers dont last more than 5 -6 years and are problematic.. so want to aviod them.. what do you suggest? Please advice.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I too am looking to possibly buy a new receiver in the $500 range. I was looking at…

Yamaha HTR-5760/RX-V650
Onkyo 601
Denon 1804
Harmon Kardon 230

Denon and Onkyo are actually due out with a new line of receivers this summer so I am choosing to wait it out and see what they have to offer, as my current receiver is working fine and I am in not rush to get a new one.

Matt-

I just replied to you on a different thread for Sony HS420 TVs. We must be on the same upgrade timeline.

Actually, I may be a little ahead of you on the receivers. I just bought at the 5790 after much research here and elsewhere.

I bought sight unseen, but I had seen and heard the 5760 in a live B&M store- and very much liked. I concluded that the 5790 had a few more features I liked (upconvert to component, true ypao). My budget was around $500, but once I started looking at street prices rather than msrps, I found that the 5790 wasn't too much of a stretch. Plus, the 1400 has gotten much good buzz and it's the same basic guts.

I watched the ebay auctions too. There is one guy selling from Saugus, MA who keeps listing them. Maybe you could pick up and save on shipping? That was my plan but the prices kept getting up to the point where the ebay-related risks weren't worth the minimal savings. Plus, there's some concern about warranties so I ended up buying from an authorized internet dealer (Datavision). I feel I got a great price.

It's on its way so I'll let you know details when it arrives if you want. The joys of shipping tracking!

Let me know if you spring for a 30" or 32" hs420- I'm really curious.

Regards- Kyle

Daman

Second Unit
Hey Thanks a lot Kyle and Matt!! Matt any idea when in summer Denon and Onkyo are planning to come up with their new line? The 5790 sounds exciting and there are some good deals going on ebay.Hows Denon 2803? I found a few going for around 560-600 range on ebay. I guess ill take a DVD and audition it on all these reciever before buying.. but then most of the dealers who stock these have different speakers, only place i can compare is circuit city between Onkyo and HK i guess. Thanks for the tips!
Regards
Daman

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Denon has the new 2805 out. It's a little more expensive than the Yammy, but does have three component inputs instead of the two on the HTR 5760/5790. I have narrowed my selection down to these two (HTR5760 and AVR2805). I think the wife acceptance factor will be a little higher on the Denon because I can plug my PS2, DVD, and HD STB into the component inputs on the Denon and let it do the switching, but for the price and sound, I'm leaning toward the Yamaha. I'll be making a purchase in the next couple of weeks and will post once I get one home and set up.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Give the HK 430, 630 and possibly the 7200 a look, too.

You can get them refurbed direct from HK if you go to Ebay and look up their seller name: Harmanaudio.

Some killer deals and you get the same treatment as if you were buying a new product.

Just something to consider...

dosei

Auditioning
Hi,
Sorry if this is a vary basic question: I keep hearing people talk about "switching." What is it?

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Daman, Onkyo and Denon are both due out with models to replace the 601 (Onkyo) and 1804 (Denon) sometime this summer, I have heard either July or August.

Switching simply allows you to turn multiple sources into one. In other words if your receiver can do component video switching, it will have (usually) 2 inputs and one output. So if you TV only has one component input, it allows you to plug your DVD player and HD box into the receiver and then run one component cable from the receivers component output into the TVs component input, and the receiver will handle the “switching” between the two sources.

Tabish

Grip
I will also include digital receivers from panasonic, sony and HK, I have Panasonic and it sounds great. good luck in your search.

Tabish

Grip
I have xr50, and sometime I dont beleive that this cheap looking recever can sound that good. :) I had Pioneer 811s before, and my friend brought his 5 ch adcom amp to compare, and let me tell you xr50 sounds atleast as good as 811s and adcom combo and its way more detailed. (with my speakers and to my and my friend's ears)

Yes, that's definitely true :frowning:

The 1400 is much sharper looking imho. I got the 5790 solely due to cost savings.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks guys !!!!! Well im leaning towards the 5790 a bit but just want to be sure whether its worth that extra 300 bucks from 5760? I mean does the ability of THX EX sound and being THX certified merit the price difference apart from the 30 watts pc extra? I did'nt find any other difference in the 2 recievers.. would the sound be a whole lot better than 5760 or just considerably?
I would try to audition both before i go in for them or i just might wait for Onkyo and Denon to release their new models maybe.. in a BIG dilema :D
Another dumb question.. how does THX EX surround work? Does it work on top of DD EX or something? because i havent seen any movies encoded in THX EX surround as of now.. and the likelyhood of that seems not too much in future also?

Daman

Second Unit

Kyle you mean to say the 1400 is a better reciever in terms of sound quality than the 5790? How much would be the noticeable difference??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks