Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

How do you get an accurate measurement of port length

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 09:12 AM

using Flared Ports? I'm using the Adire Audio flared 4" port set, and want to be sure I'm using the right length.

Do you meausure from end to end, or from where the flare
begins, or somewhere in between?

Also...2nd question: Should you subtract the port volume
from the enclosure volume to get accurate tuning?

------------------
Posted Image
I wish I had a dollar for every time I spent a dollar, because then, yahoo!,
I'd have all my money back. -- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 09:25 AM

I haven't used flared ports, but Brian Steele addresses them at his site http://www.diysubwoo...org/portcal.htm .

And for the second question, the answer is yes. Subtract the volume of the port using the outside diameter in your calculations and everything else inside (terminal cup & MDF). There will be some small variances due to calculation inaccuracies, but it shouldn't change the tuning too much.

Good luck,

DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted January 30 2001 - 05:37 PM

Brian's info doesn't address flared lengths, but 90deg flanges at the entry/exit. For flared, this is what I have: Lv = (8466*R^2)/(Vb*Fb^2) - 1.463*R + 1 where: Lv = total vent length (end to end) Vb = box volume (cu.ft.) R = Radius (in.) Fb = desired resonance frequency I'm surprised Adire doesn't have instructions. GM ------------------ Loud is beautiful, if it's clean
Loud Is Beautiful, If It's Clean

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,968 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 05:59 AM

When you get the Precison Port from Adire, it does comes with a sheet of instructions for determining the proper length of the flared port assembly. And it's the same formula that GregM listed.

For example, if you need a conventional port to be 19" long, then with a flared port, the total length should be 1" longer for a total length of 20" from END-to-END of the assembly.

The flared port assembly is 18" from end to end. This includes one 12" port section and 2 flared ends. So this would be an effective 17" long 4" port. If you need a port longer than 17" then you need to order an additional coupling ring and another 12" port section and cut it down to size to get the right overall length.

------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 06:12 AM

I used the formula in Ray Alden's book, Advanced Speaker Design. I got the book for $3 at Radio Shack and used it build my mini-monitors.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 02:01 PM

Note that the formula in Alden's book is for a straight pipe, and one 90deg flange (baffle), which isn't accurate for flared vents. This, BTW, is the best beginners book I've seen. The LDC is more comprehensive, but harder for a newbie to fathom, and a bunch more $$. GM ------------------ Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Marc_D

Marc_D

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 04:54 PM

How does the formula change for multiple ports? Double radius? ------------------
Marc D

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted January 31 2001 - 08:34 PM

How does the formula change for multiple ports?
Double radius?
------------------
Hmm... maybe... normally there's an additional end correction for multiple ports with straight pipes. IOW, two vents are a bit longer than 2x due to frictional losses, but the flares may obviate the need. If there's one for flared, I don't know it. I've never used multiple flared, so have never researched it.

Based on the straight pipe formula though, I assume it would be this (don't double R):

Lv = (8466*R^2*Np)/(Vb*Fb^2) - 1.463*R + 1

where:

Lv = total vent length (end to end)
Vb = box volume (cu.ft.)
R = Radius (in.)
Fb = desired resonance frequency
Np = number of ports

I take it that the instructions don't enlighten? Where's Dan W. when we need him? Posted Image

GM

------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users