Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can you run signal wires alongside speaker wire?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 07:54 PM

i know for sure it is a no-no to run power wires with signal and speaker wires in car audio. does the same theory apply for home audio? i have to wire a set of 30' component cables to the same area of my rear speakers, and was thinking it'd be a lot easier if i ran it together. do the signals contaminate each other?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Cornelius

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 04:50 AM

You should not run power lines near signal or speaker wires in either situation. However, you should have no problem running signal wires and speaker wires together. CJ

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,108 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 04 2004 - 05:03 AM

You want to avoid it for long runs. If you are doing it for 20 feet it will be ok, but if it was a longer run I would try to separate them.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 07:53 AM

yeah, im running about 30'.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,108 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 04 2004 - 09:16 AM

You still should be ok. I wouldn't zip tie them together however.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 06:28 PM

Uhhhh... I'm not so sure I would recommend this. Yes, your interconnects are 'shielded'. But the shield is tied to the 0.00 volt reference between your TV and your video source. You would really not want to put the cables where they would pick up electrical noise because it would contaminate the ground plane of your electronics. How much interference you get by running speaker wires with interconnects depends on 2 things: - How much current is running down the speaker wires at any instant (volume is a factor) - How close the wires are to each other and for how many feet A few feet does not matter (look at the back of your reciever). But running the wires in a 4" conduit for 10-20 feet - it's a different story. So try and avoid this if possible.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 05:27 AM

But in the grand scheme of things, it's far less a crime than running almost any length with a 60Hz AC power line. Leo

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted June 05 2004 - 06:40 AM

An interesting experiment that you could do at home would be to take a length of speaker wire and coil it around a power cable. Any hum?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Cornelius

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 02:15 AM

I have run speaker wire and signal wires many times for long distances and never had a problem. I haven't tested it in a while, but if I remember correctly the amperage along speaker wires is in the miliamp range. CJ

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 07:30 AM

there has been a long standing idea that you should keep the wires apart, there have been recent tests done where there was no measurable difference in noise, but it's just like anything else if it's easy to do seperate why risk it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users