Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What words that people mis-pronounce that drive you nuts?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#41 of 265 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 09:12 AM

[quote]

Now my pet peeve is when someone says it is a mute point. Is it a point we can't hear? No it is a moot point!

[quote]

Actually that's a "moo" point. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo!

J. Tribbiani

#42 of 265 OFFLINE   DougWright

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 09:37 AM

East-coast Canadian here, its never been aboot, always a-bout. But then again most Candians to the West of Ontario consider Ontario Eastern Canada. So maybe it is the Ontarians who say aboot. I have heard it for sure and it grates on my nerves. But the one that annoys me is Aks (or maybe Axe) as is "Let me aks you a question" popularized by Trash TV participants. Are all these people from the same place? I think sometimes that they consider it an honour to say stupid sounding things. And by stupid I am not referring to the content of their speech, but the word usage.
Doug "Thread Killer" Wright

#43 of 265 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 09:58 AM

Calvary : the hill jesus christ died on Cavalry : very mobile army unit I also find words like button and kitten pronounced annoyingly bad. Like buh-en and ki-en.

#44 of 265 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:03 AM

Oh come on! You Canadians are in more denial than if I said I have never "pahked the cah in the hahvahd yahd". I've heard hockey players from New Brunswick (Donny Sweeney) to Montreal (Ray Bourque) to Nova Scotia (Glenn Murray) to outside Toronto (Joe Thornton) to Vancouver (Cam Neely) to all the way in Klimax, Saskatchewan (Gord Kluzak) and every one off them says "aboot" or "aboat". Posted Image

And BTW, offense is pronounced "AW-fence", not "OH-fence" and it is spelled with an 's'. After all, you do not (and cannot) pronounce Ottawa as "OH-ta-wa"!

#45 of 265 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,806 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:21 AM

The same people use "excape" instead of "escape."

My father and his family fall into the same sort of group as Dave Poehlman's. I often assume (wish?) I must be adopted. Posted Image

Philadelphia = PhiladelTHia

I have no idea why they came up with this since they have no problem pronouncing the first "PH" as "F".

Mouth = Mouf (exact reverse of the above Posted Image )

Mole = Mold (he has a mold on his upper arm)

And adding an extra "S" for no reason. I stopped at Wal-Marts today. They didn't have what I wanted, so I'll go to Kmarts tomorrow.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#46 of 265 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:37 AM

A cafe latte with two shots of expresso. Posted Image Posted Image

While researching the subject of silica, I sometimes see the word "adsorption" which I always assumed was a misspelling of "absorption". Lo and behold, our friendly neighborhood dictionary confirms that "adsorption" is a real word.

#47 of 265 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,820 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:40 AM

Peeves: Sherbet Nuclear Library I once was mildly ridiculed for pronouncing grocery as "gro-suh-ree" rather than "gross-ree." I knew I was right so I didn't care enough to argue. It was perceived as a snobby way to pronounce it. Past Personal Issues Pumpkin as "punk-in"

#48 of 265 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:41 AM

Three more: The film festival at Cannes is pronounced Cannes as in "canned ham", not Cannes as in "Wrath of Cannes". Luther Vandross rhymes with "gross", not "floss". The worst of them all: STAR TRACK.

#49 of 265 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,359 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 10:45 AM

[quote]

And adding an extra "S" for no reason. I stopped at Wal-Marts today. They didn't have what I wanted, so I'll go to Kmarts tomorrow.

[quote]

Or how about people who gyp you on the 's'? I think 50 Cent can afford an 's' now.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#50 of 265 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,820 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:03 AM

[quote]

The film festival at Cannes is pronounced Cannes as in "canned ham", not Cannes as in "Wrath of Cannes".

[quote]

Umm, no...proper French pronunciation is the latter with a silent "s." If you say "cans" you are saying the number 15, which is "quinze."

EDIT: Oops! I figured out you were pointing out the mispronunciations. Sorry.

#51 of 265 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:07 AM

[quote]

Oh come on! You Canadians are in more denial than if I said I have never "pahked the cah in the hahvahd yahd".

[quote]

Don't make me come down there Jeff. Posted Image

(Honestly, I've never met a fellow Canadian who says "aboot" or "aboat". It's about as untrue as all of us ending our sentences with "eh", eh?) Posted Image

Now, we DO all eat back-bacon with our beer though. Posted Image

#52 of 265 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:19 AM

Cameron,

Are you sure? I thought it was properly pronounced "can", not "Caan" (as in James).

EDIT: Our friendly neighborhood dictionary says BOTH ("can" and "kahn") are acceptable. As well as "cans". Who knew?

Rev. Dr. Zen Dogg,

Reminds me of another one: "fiddy" instead of "fifty". As in "I only owe him tree fiddy." Posted Image

#53 of 265 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:39 AM

One that REALLY used to bother me was the word "segue" pronounced "seg-way" (like the scooter?). An ex-roommate of mine, who has experience in record production (and has actually created segues between songs), says that any producer or engineer will pronounce it with one syllable only, "seg". But lo and behold, dictionary.com supports the two syllable "seg-way" pronunciation. Any thoughts on this? Is the one syllable variation a bit of recording studio jargon?

#54 of 265 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,820 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:47 AM

I've not heard "segue" pronounced anything but "seg." How else is it pronounced?

EDIT: Oh, I see...interesting.

And in my seven or so years of French I've not heard "Cannes" pronounced any other way. I wouldn't necessarily trust an English dictionary to provide accurate pronunciation of another language. It might be fine to say "cans" in the states, but in French-speaking areas you'll be saying "I went to the "15" film festival." Posted Image

This is kind of handy:

http://education.yah..../c0069600.html

#55 of 265 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:53 AM

If segue is pronounced "seg-way", shouldn't fugue be pronounced "fug-way"?

#56 of 265 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 11:56 AM

y'all Posted Image

Brought this up on another thread but why does it have to be galaametr instead of the logical kilo-meter?

#57 of 265 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 12:01 PM

I've heard that one both ways. Kill-aw-metr and killo-meter. The 'segue' thing is interesting. I've always heard the 'seg-way' version...not just 'seg'.

#58 of 265 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 12:03 PM

Just listened to Cameron's Yahoo link to the pronounciation of "Cannes". Pretty similar to this. Posted Image

#59 of 265 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 12:04 PM

Sami,

Right! No one ever says cen-TIM-i-ter or mil-IM-i-ter.

Marvin,

Surely you're familiar with "Tocata and fudge in D minor". Posted Image

Cameron,

Foreign language words are often pronounced differently in English than in their native language, such as the beloved Japanese passtime of "carrie-okie".

#60 of 265 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted June 04 2004 - 12:04 PM

Came back to add Expresso, but I see someone beat me to the punch. How about Hampster? It's a freaking Hamster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users