What's new

What words that people mis-pronounce that drive you nuts? (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
What words do people always mis-pronounce that just drives you crazy?

Not talking about words such as tomato or potato, or hard tp pronounce words, but just easy common words that other people seem to always mis-pronounce.

For me it's "Idea".

I hear a lot of people adding an R at the end, and thus say "Idear".

I can say 'idea' correctly and it just drives me nuts when other people say 'idear'.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just off the top of my head, I hate to hear 'warsh' instead of 'wash'.

'Nucular' is another. There's only one 'U' in 'Nuclear' folks!

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I once worked for a yahoo boss, who pronounced nuclear, "nuke-u-lar," and chiropractor, "choir-o-practor." He also said things like, "I don't got" and "they don't got." Drove me NUTS! Of course, he also had terrible hygiene and wore clothes with big holes in them.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Nucular. I feel like throwing that person into a pile of fissile material, in hopes that they might "get it.":)
Warsh- I'm from WV, so I hear this a lot back home. Still annoying, after all these years. Marylanders taught me how to speak properly.:)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Eggs pronounced Aggs. Instead of e they say A. I don't know why that one gets to me. But hearing someone say scrambled Aggs drives my mad. It's an EGG.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Around here, they call the letter "H" "haitch" instead of "aitch". Bugs the hell out of me.
And you Americans call the letter "Z" "zee" rather than "zed". Bugs me too :D Which reminds me of that "my name is Joe, and I'm a Canadian" routine...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
16.gif

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really get the "idea" one, in Australia, its pronounced exactly as i-dear...
My friend used to pronounce Grand Prix as "grand pricks" instead of "gron pree". ;)
Cheers,
Mike

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Mike, I think Douglas means people who really really roll the "r" in "i-dear" at the end, and not those who pronounce "dear" with a very light "r" at the end. We get that here sometimes as well.
As for "grand prix", to be fair that's confusing French-stuff. How about "renn-dez-voos" for "rendezvous". Or "linger-ree" for "lingerie"? :D
Also: turning a "maisonette" into a "mansionette".
What amuses me sometimes is otherwise well-educated types pronouncing the "l" in "salmon".

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any problems with spelling or pronounciation. :D ;)
(and yes, that last word was misspelled deliberately).

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
My wife doesn't pronounce the "g" in hanger. She says she's always said it that way. It annoys the crap out of me. :)
Must be a regional thing or something because I'm pretty sure "ant" is an acceptable pronunciation.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I think Douglas means people who really really roll the "r" in "i-dear" at the end, and not those who pronounce "dear" with a very light "r" at the end.
Actually, I think he meant people who put any 'r' sound at the end of the word idea (since there isn't an r anywhere in the word :)) We get that a lot in New England. People around here won't pronounce the letter r when it is present in a word, so I guess they make up for it by adding an r sound to words that shouldn't have it :)
My personal pet peeve has always been 'jewlery' instead of 'jewelry'.
MikeP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks