What's new

Terminator 3 DVD (wide) - Looks kinda blurry (1 Viewer)

Mark Roger

Agent
My T3 (widescreen) on my JVC 32" tv looks awful dull and almost out of focus. I have seen reviews where the image is listed as "A+" and sharp but I have to totally disagree. If it wasn't for the art work on the discs I would have sworn I had a pirated compressed version of the movie. Anyone agree?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Nope, I have to disagree. On my Panny 47 this disc is abosultely gorgeous to look at. I am not sure why this disc is appearing blurry on your setup.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
No problems here with sharpness on my Sony player & tv.

One thing I've noticed about a particular scene: When the crane is chasing after John & Kate, there's a shot of the crane passing under a bridge. On my player the scene jerks along like a bunch of slides. Any thoughts? Defective DVD? Player settings? The remainder of the film seems fine.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you're suffering from anamorphic downconversion artifacts. On anamorphic widescreen DVD's like T3, if you watch the DVD on a 4:3 TV, the DVD player will remove every fourth line of information to make the image look normal. However, on certain shots, especially shots with lots of diagonal lines or motion, the downconversion process can cause the lines to shimmer or wiggle in a very strange way. This used to drive me crazy until I got a 16X9 TV. In fact, I think that the reason some studios resisted anamorphic enhancement for so long was to avoid having these artifacts on "regular" 4X3 TV's. Of course, once you get a widescreen TV, the anamorphic enhancement results in higher resolution and downconversion artifacts are no longer an issue.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Thanks Elias. Could be a while before I invest in a WS tv. I just bought a new 'old' one but I wouldn't be able to upgrade to WS for a while, don't make nearly enough dough.:D

Funny, this never happened before on my dinky, 20" Sony. Seems to be only this scene in this film. The new tv is 32' & HD compatible but then the image is gonna be smaller. Oh well, like C3PO said: "I guess we were made to suffer.":D

Might as well ask you one more: Right at the scene where the TX uses the saw blade to free itself from the particle accelerator I've seen some pixelation. Thoughts? This has to be a defect in the disc because it used to happen on the old tv too, same spot. Player's still in tiptop shape too.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator

This is not a defective dvd, defective player, defective tv, anamorphic downconversion artifact or a byproduct of Venus passing across the Sun. It is a deliberate effect, made by the filmmakers in order to make the crane look like it was moving at speed, rather than just lumbering along like a big ol' heavy crane.

guille verdun

Stunt Coordinator
In other topic about the same movie: does anybody know if there's going to be a new dvd release of T3? The current looks good but i'll be insanely mad if a new one appears right after i buy this one.

Have a nice day

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Wiseass!:D :D :D

Jeez, ya forget one teensy punctuation mark... 32' tv would be cool tho, something like having an entire theatre screen...

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
This film was a bit of a dumb popcorn flick, nothing like as good as T1 or T2. I'll probably end up buying it at some point, just cause i have T1 and T2 on DVD. Looks to be a quality reference disc, if nothing else. Does it also have a extremely high quality clip to demo HD-DVD in the DVD-ROM content part of the DVD, that can only be played back on a PC?

maybe a little off-topic, but werent there supposed to be 2 new terminators films being made. Have they scrapped plans for T4, as it's not on the IMDB site or on comming attractions site?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If there ever is a T4, I hope it is set in the future 203x because the future as they know it will have been changed yet again by the events in T3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks