What's new

These guys are nuts! (REALLY big remote control plane) (1 Viewer)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
You have got to be kidding me. :eek: That thing must be worth tens of thousands of dollars, maybe $100,000. I would be too afraid to fly it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
jesus, that site must be hosted on an amiga.
pretty cool.
I can't tell if those are gas ducted fan engines or if they're electric or what. Look like gas with electric start. Cool!

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Actually, this is a recently declassified Pentagon deception program. Half our B-52s in the Cold War were models, and flown at sufficient height look so real, they helped deterrence by making the Sovs think we had vast armadas....

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
My dad is into RC airplanes. He says each of the engines is about $4000. That's $32000 right there!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
If you go to the forum linked to on the site above and do some digging, there is some more info about it along with some links to videos. Evidently they got slashdotted late last week and had to take some stuff off the forum but others have hosted it.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
The engines are really jet turbines, just like a real B-52. I think I stumbled across the original posting ling @ slashdot the other day.

YEp, here is the Slashdot article (gee, whould that be why the original site was hammered?) :)

HERE is the jet engine site.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Please God, if I'm really, really good, and I quit kicking my neighbors dog - can I have this thing? I've never seen anything neater, short of an F-18.

I admire the daylights out of the guys who built the B-52. Fortunately for me, it's way too expensive to consider persuing something similar. I wonder if it will do anything other than fly around, like drop things that go boom?

P.S. Be sure to check out the Alyssa Milano photos. The woman has no shame ;).

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I was was disapointed that the rear defense guns were static, rather then a "real" set.

Damn, it would be impressive if the thing dropped paint bombs, or Cherry bombs....

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
At my local hobby shop someone had a plane with a jet engine. He fired it up in the parking lot and it sounded just like a full size jet, LOUD. I can hardly imagine what 8 of these would sound like.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I just realized that they had a video of this beast taking off. They had one of it flying around. But, the one of it LANDING is noticeably absent. I wonder if this $35,000 investment lasted the day???

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am fairly certain the particular Kerosene Turbines in
this particular plane cost about $8000.00 each and that's
more than 60K just to power this beast.

As for how it flys? From the videos it looks extremely
well managed and docile. Those aren't words that can be
used to describe most other "real" RC Jets because most of
them will top out at more than 300 Miles Per Hour and are
very darty and prone to stall!

I would love to see someone do an SR71 with a pair of these
but I know it would be damned near impossible to fly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks