What's new

Receiver with "Sleep" option? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You know, I was thinking about this as I was watching TV with the kids to get them to bed; I could set the TV to "sleep" (power itself off) after 1 hour; but couldn't the receiver.

Are their receivers out there with sleep options?

Cagri

Second Unit
I haven't heard such a feature for a receiver, but I'd say there's nothing wrong to leave the receiver on for the night unless you have specific reasons to worry about.

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
My Yamha 2400 has a sleep option. And my tv turns off after 5min if there is no video signal and I got my dvd player in the switching outlet on the reciever so it works out great for me!

Nick.S

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have no problem necessarily when leaving it on.. however, if you put it on, and you know everyone is going to go to sleep watching lion king (or whatever) and it's late so you will be included in those that wipe out, it's good to have it turn off rather then wake up in the morning to the incessant menu soundtrack :)

Chris Elm

Stunt Coordinator
Most Onkyo's have it. Just a quick heads up. However, my Elite 45TX, which had a 1400 dollar price tag, doesn't have it. :frowning:

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
My old JVC receiver had a sleep option. At the time I had all JVC gear connected with Compu-link. So when the sleep timer turned off the receiver everything went off. Very handy. That way if I fell asleep with a CD playing it would not play all night. My Denon 3803 does not have a sleep timer.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Even the inexpensive Sherwood receivers like the RD-6108 have a sleep timer. They offer 10, 20, 30, 60 and 90 minutes operation before turn-off.

Jeff

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I can vouch for the newer Yamahas which have this feature.

However, a much cheaper route would be to pick up one of the "smart" power strips for $30. The receiver could be plugged into the "switched" outlet and when the TV powers off, the "switched" outlet would sense this and turn the receiver off, too.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
My Harman Kardon 325 and Sherwood Newcastle both have it. I use it on the HK at least 4-5 times a week.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Damn. My HK-320 does not (near as I can figure) Hmm. Still, I will hope (look) to see if the Denon 3805/2805 has it, as that's probably my next reciever.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

Why a company can put this on a budget AVR, but other companies will put in useless DSPs has always been beyond me. I personally bought this AVR for my bedroom just for this reason alone but was shocked about the performance of this budget AVR (smoked a previous Denon 2400 with Technics decoder). I can highly recommend this for a bedroom, second room, or computer room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks