What's new

The Dukes Of Hazzard (1 Viewer)

Brad M

Second Unit
Okay, I guess by the lack of threads on this no one has the guts to admit they bought it. :) Well, I'd love some feedback from those of you that have bought it. Is it worth a trip down memory lane? Does it have a pilot episode? Is Boss Hogg the king or what? Any info?

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I've got it on order. Heck, I think I still have some episodes on tape from the original network run. I'm looking forward to settling in with this one. Mind candy, gotta love it. :>

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I am wanting to get this one... I haven't had the chance to yet... but it will definately be mine within my next couple of dvd orders! :)

I watched Dukes of Hazzard all the time when I was younger and can't wait to revisit the show. Sounds like it has some decent extras... hope they are pretty good... I am especially looking forward to the commentary with Schneider and Bach! :)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I picked it up yesterday, but didn't get a chance to pop it in yet. I'd been looking for reviews, too, but wasn't going to wait since this was my favorite show when I was growing up. And now, being a yankee carpetbagger, I've moved to within about 15 miles of where they filmed at least part of the first season. "I love it, I love it!!!"

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i lived in Monroe at the time the series premiered, and remember kids around school talking about it being film in the next couple towns over-
can't remember exactly where... i think it started with a "C" (Covington? Social Circle?).

i don't think the filmed a whole lot of material locally- probably just a few exteriors that they reusued over an over for establishing shots, i'm guessing.

i was never a fan of the show growing up, although i did have a Cathy Bach poster on my wall.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Apparently, they filmed the first 5 episodes in and around Covington, GA before moving production out to Hollywood. I think the Boar's Nest building is still there, althought I've read that it's a church now. Might take a run over there this weekend and check it out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I watched the 1st two episodes last night. All I can say is "Yeeeee-HAAAAAH!" :D

Gord posted his review up at TSoD. I glanced at it for about 3 seconds this morning, mostly seeing his tsk-tsk-ing of the dust artifacts. Frankly, they didn't bother me too much, but then again I'm only 2 eps in. They were most noticable for me during the freeze-frame leading in to a commercial break, which was a trademark of the show.

Nothing that I would worry about in terms of deciding to buy or not to buy. I had fun, and look forward to watching the rest. I may wait until afterward to read more of Gord's review, just to see whether I agree or not. ;)

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I'm only on the second episode, but I'm not finding the dust specs to be too bad. Ok, yeah, they're there, and the first episode definitely had some spots that were more noticeable.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm getting really disillusioned with these TV sets. A couple of weeks ago, I opened my Smallville S2 set, and one of the discs was off the hub and scratched. Today, when I put in Dukes disc 1 side A, I got no WB logo and no menu. When I hit the Menu button, the menu did come up, but it wouldn't access the first episode. The second episode came up alright. I guess there was an error on the disc, but it almost seeemed like they forgot to put the logo and first episode on there. :D

Anyway, I took it back, and that was an ordeal. The girl tried the disc and it seemed to work for her. She was hitting play as the disc loaded, and it was going directly to episode 2. I was finally able to convince her that the trouble was with episode 1, which I demonstrated by attempting to directly access episode 1 from the menu (well, she didn't really seem convinced, but that's okay). I threw a second copy of disc 1 into their machine, and that worked. So, I should be up and running now.

But, it's just kind of scary. Right now, I have five TV sets I'm working through. I have to worry about every single episode on every single one of those discs. I bet it's going to be even more of a concern with these more sensitive double-sided discs. It's to the point where I am worried about even buying sets. I guess it's like anything else: I'll worry about it for a while, and then become complacent when problems no longer crop up. Still, I hadn't even really considered the major problem until somebody brought it up in another thread: if you get a replacement set, you aren't really safe unless you go back and watch every last hour of footage again. The studios really need to look into single disc replacement, if that's not an option already.

Oh, and I'm considering making Circuit City my main place to buy these things. At least, their ads indicate they don't make you jump through hoops to get an exchange.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Ads are fine. The proof is in the pudding. My experience is quite different at my store, and complaining to the top seemed to do no good.

Hopefully your nearby location is a different story, but I just want to remind you that every branch can be different.

Brad M

Second Unit
I gave up on my local CC a long time ago. The last dvd I bought from them was the newer Tombstone dvd. I had gone in to buy a tv and three employees were helping one guy. When I asked for help they said they'd try to find somebody!

Anyway, back on topic, how many episodes are on season 1?

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
There are 13 episodes in the first season.

I listened to about half the commentary on the first episode by John Schneider and Catherine Bach, and it was pretty entertaining, if uninformative. They both have pretty amazing memories, and tell a few funny anecdotes. Nothing technical, but hey, this was The Dukes! I can't wait to work my way thru these episodes. I may try to go find the Boar's Nest over in Covington this weekend.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
See if you can take a picture of it from the same angle as the establishing shot used over and over in the show. :)

JasonWa

Auditioning
The Dukes Of Hazzard 1st season set is selling extremely well around here, sold out at 3 Walmarts and 1 Best Buy!!

Also was at #4 on the top selling DVDs at Amazon.com.
I am VERY excited about this, seeing that it is doing great in sales, the other 5 seasons should be released for sure!!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
That is even more impressive when you see what is ahead of it, the latest Lord of the Rings, The best season of the Simpsons (according to many people), and Buffy which has a huge cult following are the only things ahead of it.

Paul

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The Dukes of Hazard sold out at Walmart?!? No way - who would have thought that a bunch of unwashed red-neck neanderthals (AKA: the typical Wally World demographic) would enjoy the Dukes!

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
You mean those Frasier and Ballykissangel box sets aren't flying off the Wal Mart shelves?

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
:laugh: Too funny ..... The Dukes of Hazzard sold out all 6 copies at my store on wedensday (day after release)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks