What's new

Are DVD releases of TV series being edited to eliminate "previously on" dialogue? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
I remember, while watching my "24 - season 1" DVD set, that there were scenes not in the original series. There was nothing significant; at the time, I thought it was just extra material to get each episode up to a minimum length.

More recently, I've been wondering: if the DVD producers don't feel bound to present on the DVDs exactly what was originally shown, maybe they should work on editing out the irriting "previously on" dialogue. You know what I mean: two character working into their conversation references to events from previous episodes, for the benefit of viewers who did not see those episodes. I guess that series with long story arcs need this type of thing, but on a DVD release, they are just irritating.

So I was wondering if any of you have noticed this type of "previously on" dialogue disappearing when series are released on DVD.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I highly disagree. I don't think there should ever be anything cut out of an episode. Getting them uncut is what home video is all about!

You may find it irritating (especially if you watch a bunch of episodes in one sitting), but what about those of us who limit ourselves to one or two a night, and then might not pick the storyline up for several days? Then, those "irritating" scenes might actually be helpful.

If they want to eliminate the "scenes" at the beginning of a show, that's one thing (though I still would prefer them to be left intact if they were there in the first place), but cutting dialogue from the episodes themselves just to eliminate any re-stating of information from a previous episode, IMO, is dead wrong!

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
The Star Trek sets that I have keep them intact. In fact, Voyager's "Cold Fire" had a teaser that I didn't even remember!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I'd be interested in specific examples, because I don't remember any such thing. The first season of 24 eliminated the "previously" segments, but otherwise the episodes appeared to be identical to the original broadcasts.

M.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
They do present an extra scene in 24 season 1, but it's presented seperately. Perhaps he was watching the extended European versions and had seen the US version on TV.

Rolando

Screenwriter
GARY YOU ARE EVIL!!!

ok, just kidding.

Seriously though I have to agree with the others that uncut is the way to go ALWAYS. I would have liked those "previously on" segments on Buffy AND 24.

However I agree they can be annoying if you have a good memory and/or are watching quite a few in a row. I feel the same about the opening credits sometimes.

But I don't think cutting them out is acceptable. The best solution is to make the opening credits it's own chapter so you can just skip it. Same should be done for the "previously on" segments. That way we are all happy!

Why am I not a studio exec?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, wanted to ask: so it's true there was a release of 24 that added footage to keep it an hour long with out the commercials?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The real question is...is the "previously on" stuff considered part of the show? Those segments might not be part of the actual show. They may even be on a separate tape. Does anyone recall if these "previously on" segments are palyed in the reruns? I would think they are only played during inital runs, hence, not part of the actual show.

This would probably be why they don't put them on the DVD's. They might not even have the segments to be able to add them on.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I've wondered that - who prepares the "previously on" segments - the production company, or the network? If it's the network, then they're really not part of the original program, they're a network add-on, like the "brought to you by" bits. It's like the "thank you for being on our network" retrospectives done for both Buffy and Angel - those were done by the WB, and I don't think the Buffy one was even shown the second time "The Gift" was aired. It'll be interesting to see if the "thanks for five years" bit at the end of "Not Fade Away" from Angel shows up anywhere but the original airing on the WB.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Regarding Buffy I can tell you that it was definitely not the network that prepared the recaps. The second official "Watcher's Guide" book goes behind the making of an episode, and it describes the spotting session where Joss & Co. are viewing the new episode with particular emphasis on editing, sound and music. The recap is already there and they're discussing the fact that they won't be putting any music under it this time.

Chris

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, and Alias have all kept them. I'm in favor of them myself. It's nice to showcase some of the editor's work and maybe refresh the memories of those who may have forgotten since the last time they watched.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'd say the biggest crime was where they cut off the beginnign of a couple Angel episodes with the recap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks