What's new

Movies that truly are frightening (1 Viewer)

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm starting to get into some of the truly scary movies. I'm not talking about these cheesy ones that come out every other hour, but the movies that really make your heart drop to your stomach and make your blood boil. Here are the ones I would recommend

1) Se7en - Should be at the top of the list from what I have seen
2) Red Dragon/Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal - Anthony Hopkins, enough said
3) Signs - Maybe doesn't curdle my stomach, but the suspense is enough to keep anyone going on top of top notch directing
4) Anaconda - Just checking if your reading :b
5) Stigmada - Holy crap! I don't know if I want to watch this again
6) The Ring - Many people have mixed feelings about this, but I really thought it was done very well, and the sound added a whole new dimention to the movie

As you can see, I have a small list. I need some recommendations!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
'The Shining' (Kubrick version, of course) absolutely belongs on that list. It's creepy/eerie -- which, to me, is a cut above "scary".

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Scariest movies I've ever seen:

The Shining (Kubrick Version)
The Exorcist
Halloween (the original, not the retreads)
Psycho
Se7en

Dave T.

Auditioning
"The Vanishing" (the original Dutch version)... not a horror film in the usual sense, perhaps, but no other film ever got under my skin like that one did -- took me days to stop shivering when I thought of it. The scariest thing about the American version is to see how frighteningly bad a remake can be.

My favourite horror movie experience will always be the first time I saw "Alien", back when it first opened all those years ago. There's nothing like that once-only viewing when you really don't know what's going to happen next.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
No movie is capable of scaring me, when I was a child yeah not anymore, but going by my girlfriend's reactions Kubrick's The Shining is certainly up there and was voted most frightening movie ever in a UK poll a couple of years ago, a superb horror film, so that's my pick.:)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The Blair Witch Project- never has a film terrified me so much before. I am always severely effected by it, and still have a hard time bringing myself to rewatch it to this date. Perfect utilization of the fear of the unknown.

Black Christmas- Horrific slasher with the most frightening psycho ever to be committed to celluloid. His insane phone calls get to me like no other.

Prince of Darkness- Carpenter's best film along with The Thing IMO, and there is some severely freaky shit in it. Very unnerving, and always manages to really creep me out.

Kairo- Easily the scariest Asian horror film to date. Extremely atmospheric and grim, not to mention full to the brim with an uneasy sense of dread. The idea of being trapped in your own loneliness is very original, and extremely creepy as well.

Carnival of Souls- Very frightening classic with some very uneasy occurences that just really get under my skin, such as the part where the lead seems to be nonexistant to the townspeople and so on.

Session 9- Danvers is one of the creepiest settings ever, and the film is very frightening at times. The multiple personalities on the session tapes also freak me out, and the score adds so much to the frightening mood.

Rosemary's Baby- Drenched in frightening paranoia, and the film has many freaky sequences, not to mention some pretty unnerving imagery. Love the dream sequence!

The Thing- Another film with a major dose of paranoia. The thing is one frightening organism, and the howls it gives out every now and then send chills up my spine. Major sense of dread throughout as well, and the film is just terrifyingly bleak.

There are more, but those are my top picks.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The two scariest movies of all time:
The Exorcist
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (yes, Willy Wonka -- he killed those kids!)

Good call on Black Christmas!

(He killed those kids! I'm telling you!)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Oh, yes! I don't know how I left "Alien" off my list. That movie still scares me. I've seen The Shining (not the Stephen King TV miniseries dribble that was not only not scary, but incredibly boring too boot) countless times and just the music alone from the opening scene of them driving through the mountains makes me turn the movie off if I'm alone.

Jaws was scary (or startling) when I was kid, but I can't call it scary today after 22 years added to the first time I saw it, along with about 25 viewings.

I think I might have to add "Silence of the Lambs" to my list, but I haven't seen it in years, so I don't know how well it stands up on repeated viewings.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Justin, I'm with you on The Ring, which I think is great.

Session 9, definitely.

The most frightening movie I have seen in some time... Elephant, though most people seem to completely misunderstand it, which is probably why it is so frightening.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Two movies with disturbing seance scenes(for me, anyway) are
THE CHANGELING and THE HAUNTING OF JULIA. I would also highly recommend THE HAUNTING (1963).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks