What's new

The Alvin Show/Alvin & the Chipmunks (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'd imagine A.A.T.C. could be difficult because of the music rights. They sang a contemporary song in virtually every episode.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for the Chipmunk Adventure to be released through Chipmunks.com as it was recently recalled approx. one month prior to release date due to a delay in production and remastering efforts.

I would welcome season sets with open arms though and like Paul, would be downtown on streetdate with money in hand!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Damned music rights issues...

Looks like I might have to go through fan-to-fan TV-on-DVD if I want this.

Warner (who I believe own the rights to the show...The Ruby-Spears episodes, at least), please release this. It would be a major throwback to my youth.

Anyway, do you suppose that "The Chipmunk Adventure" DVD delay is because the Bagdasarians and MGM Home Entertainment might want to give us a widescreen version?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Of course, if Warner buys MGM, then that issue might be settled.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It will be released oar but that has nothing to do with the delay. As I said, it's because remastering and production efforts were taking longer than expected. This is an email I recieved from Chipmunks.com concerning my pre-order:

"Thank you for your order of The Chipmunk Adventure and Batmunk/Daytona Jones. Unfortunately we realized the re-mastering process would take more time than we anticipated, so we regret to inform you that, at this time, we are unable to release these titles. Please be aware that your credit card has not been charged for these two items. We hope to make these titles available in the future."

and a follow-up response:

"Dear Oliver:

We are sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. We were trying to get
an accurate answer to your question about the timing on the dvd release. It
currently looks like it is in the "indefinitely postponed" category for now.
Our intention is to remaster and release it on our website first and then
make it available through retailers.

We really appreciate your enthusiasm for the title and once we have more
information, we plan to e-mail you personally.

Thanks again,

Customer Assistance
WWW.Chipmunks.com"

Steve_Z

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the original Alvin show. The Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons were ok, but my favorite cartoon on that show was Clyde Crasscup. Clyde and his assistent Leonardo were the original Penn and Teller.

Anyway, if they couldn't release the Alvin show on DVD because of music rights, and they just release Clyde Crasscup, I'd buy it.

I don't think music rights are an issue here, because they preformed their own versions of popular songs. If they used the original version with the original artist, that is different story. I think the people the own the rights to the cartoons, own the rights to the music. So I don't that would be an issue.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think music rights are an issue here, because they preformed their own versions of popular songs. If they used the original version with the original artist, that is different story. I think the people the own the rights to the cartoons, own the rights to the music. So I don't that would be an issue.

A common misconception--actually, the "music rights" are those of the songwriters. When a song is used on radio, TV, movies, home video, etc. the songwriters must be paid--regardless of who's singing it. And unfortunately, it ain't cheap. Music clearance fees have been enough to keep good shows off DVD ("WKRP"), cause long delays and high prices ("SCTV") and, in the most irritating cases, prompt studios to substitute music or just make clumsy edits.

Doc

Kevin/M

Agent
What about the Music in the 60's Alvin Show, Would THAT Present a Problem?

But to Answer the topic Question, I've heard rumors that a CGI Chipmunks movie is in the works with a 2006 Release Date. Tie-ins for that movie are possible (A La Garifled and Fat Alert). But if the Muisc Issues are too mch for the 80's Show, they could always go for the IMO much better 60's show (The One that hasn't been seen since Nickelodeon aired wienerville in the Early 90's)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
According to an email I received months back, The Chipmunks are indeed making a comeback. Lots of DVD's tentatively planned for the upcoming year including the original series, TCA and more. They're working on a revival of the franchise from what I've been told.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure of the details Pavan. I received this information directly from I believe a maerketing rep from the company. The info was fairly broad but seemed to be really positive. I'll post the email early next week cause I'm dead tired right now and am leaving town first thing tomorrow morning for the weekend.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Alvin & The Christmas: A Chipmunk Christmas will not only contain the 1981 special, but two other specials from 1988 and 1989, during the series run (but not counted as regular episodes from the series)!

Alvin and The Chipmunks: A Chipmunk Christmas
Street Date: November 1, 2005
Genre: Animation, Family

Synopsis:

A Chipmunk Christmas (1981):
Catch the Christmas spirit with the Chipmunks in this musical holiday favorite! Swept up in a holiday mood, Alvin gives away his cherished harmonica to a sick little boy.
Meanwhile, Dave has booked Alvin to perform a harmonica solo at Carnegie Hall! Alvin keeps the loss of his harmonica a secret from Dave, and with the help of Simon and Theodore scrambles to earn enough money to buy another harmonica in time for his Carnegie Hall debut! Along the way you'll hear Alvin, Simon and Theodore getting ready for the Big Night, singing their own comical versions of holiday favorites like "Jingle Bells" and "Deck the Halls." Everyone in the family will want to sing along when the guys perform their famous "Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)"! This heart warming story, brimming with joyful music, makes A Chipmunk Christmas a great way to celebrate the holidays...any day!

Merry Christmas Mr Carroll (1988):
The Chipmunks version of "A Christmas Carol." Alvin, while writing a homework assignment on the meaning of Christmas, falls asleep and dreams of the spirit of Christmas past (Dave), Christmas present (Theodore) and Christmas future (Simon). And in a delightful and entertaining process, he learns to appreciate the true meaning of the holiday season.

Dave's Wonderful Life (1989):
This story gives Dave the opportunity to see The Chipmunks' lives if he had not been there to give his love, support and compassion...with some hilarious consequences.

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Runtime: 66 min.
# of Discs: 1
US Rating: Not Rated

Here is a good episode list for Alvin & The Chipminks (1983-1989):
http://www.toonarific.com/show_episodes.php?show_id=202

"The Chipmunks Go To the Movies" Series (1990-1991):
Back to Alvin's Future
Bigger!
Kong!
Batmunk
Daytona Jones and the Pearl of Wisdom
Star Wreck: The Absolutely Final Frontier
Robomunk
ST- The Space Traveller
Irrational Buffoon's European Vacation
Chip Tracy
Gremlionis
Sploosh
Funny, We Shrunk the Adults

SPECIALS
A Chipmunk Christmas (1981)
The Easter Chipmunk
Rockin' With the Chipmunks
A Chipmunk Celebration
Trick Or Treason
Alvin's Christmas Carol (1988)
It's a Wonderful Life, Dave (1989)

MOVIES
The Chipmunk Adventure (1987)
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999)
Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolf-Man (2000)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Paul, I couldn't find it... I'll check one of my other email addresses right now to see if I maybe contacted them through another account.

As for this update on the Chipmunk Christmas... :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks like my Chipmunks.com barebones copy will be hitting Ebay soon!

I'm so excited... now let me go search for that email.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I had written to Chipmunks.com quite a few times in the past year so I wasn't sure if I had accidentally deleted the message but I found this email which is pretty on par with what I posted earlier:

Dear Oliver,

Thank you for writing.

We are working on plans for the DVD release of The Chipmunk Adventure as well as various episodes from the 1980s and classic 1961 series, The Alvin Show. While we do not have a timetable yet, we would suggest checking www.chipmunks.com periodically as we will post news when available.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Customer Assistance
www.chipmunks.com"

That basically sums it up. Classic 1961 Series and "various episodes" from the 1980s as well as the movie. It seems likely from that email, and Im hoping this is true, that the 1961 Ross Bagadasarian series of The Alvin Show will be seeing primary focus in terms of a DVD release in the near future. They are obviously well aware of their properties, not onyl did they respond directly to my inquiries but even went so far as to offer the year of production of the series so there can be no mistaking their intents. I think this is excellent news. Most companies who are unsure of their future schedule are hesitant to offer any sort of information or details to the public but Chipmunks.com has been extremely open to their plans for the franchise and home video for years. This is a very positive thing and it seems like it's finally coming togewther now with the details of the Chipmunks Christmas release!

Btw Pavan, where did you get this new information from concerning the DVD?

I'm very happy to hear that they are offering a "redux" version of the disc as the first release had great picture and sound quality but felt like a bit of a rip off at only aaprox. 30 mins. running time for the price they were asking online.

Regardless, Im really looking forward to picking up this new version, hopefully they do something about the terrible cover art too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks