What's new

Which screen format 1:85 or 1:78 are you using? (1 Viewer)

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of choosing a screen format. I think I will be going with the 1:85 to 1 size at 104" (Carada)but before I do I am hoping to get your feedback on what you are using and if you are happy with your choice. I do not want to be looking for a new screen 6 months after installation... DVD and HD via cable will be the primary viewing sources.

I do plan to make some DIY masking in either case for the screen.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Why 1.85:1? Only one film format fits that ratio.

HD is 16:9 ... why not get the format suitable for the most material?

Regards

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's a reason 16:9 was choosen as the HD format and that's that its the most universal for all the various widescreen formats

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I am looking at 1:85:1 for the exact reason that it is the standard HD format. The other reason is that there are more movies formated that way than any other.

What would your ideal screen size be?

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
I think what Michael was getting at is 1.85:1 is not the HD standard. 1.78:1 is the standard, although I have a really hard time telling the difference on my setup. Most HD is indistinguishable from 1.85:1 material. I have a 16x9 screen and 1.85:1 movies come extremely close to filling the screen.

MikeP

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Depending on the overscan of your monitor/projector 1.85 might very well fill the screen but technically your screen's should be 1.78

Mike V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like my choice should be 1:78 rather than 1:85. I mainly want to fill the screen whenever possible and/or avoid having to settle for a smaller picture just so that it fits the screen dimension I choose. This will also allow for a smaller masking system which I would prefer.

FYI: I will be using a Z2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks