What's new

VH1's I Love The 80's (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Actually, I was just thinking of how much fun it would be to have a DVD of this series, if the price was good. This show would be a great release now as so many beloved eighties shows are coming to DVD. That said, I can't think of many VH1-related DVD releases, so I'm not optimistic.

cole_b

Agent
a good idea, but is it feasible? it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get clearance for the voluminous show/movie/commercial/music video clips.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Cole, It's not like it's a 10 year old broadcast... if VH1 could aquire clearance rights to air these episodes however many months ago, why should it be so difficult to bring them to DVD? Other than some 10 second outdated clips from obscure 80's toy commercials like Gloworms, Slip n Slide or Coleco, etc. which I seriously doubt would require much in order to licesnse for use in such a release given their relevance today, the only other clearance issues would be in regards to some short film clips and music video sequences which shouldn't be a problem for a company like VH1.

---> Hands "Gigli" back to Dave in a garbage bag.

;)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I imagine it was a nightmare to acquire the clips for broadcast in the first place. However, I'm sure DVD rights were probably discussed at that time -- if not for the first one, then at least probably for "...Strikes Back".

I would probably buy them, but not until they quit showing them every week. ;)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
From what I've heard, clearances for broadcast are much easier than for home video.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

The essential thought process behind this is that broadcast is "fleeting", whereas home video is "permanent".

Damn, I was hoping Gigli was gone for good...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm afraid to ask the real question of importance which is why you even had a copy to hand to Marco in the first place.

What's that? VH-1's I love the 80's?

As a child of the 80's I'd probably be interested in this as a look back or something, but I've never seen the show, in fact I bet I haven't watched VH-1 in maybe 3 years.

John*P

Second Unit
I'd totally buy I Love the 80's and 80's "Strikes Back" on DVD. I think that would make an excellent box-set. It'd be interesting to see what extras would be included on there.

BTW, I Love the 90's is starting...in July, I think.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't REALLY own a copy of Gigli. My shelf for crap is already filled to the limit with copies of Crossroads, Glitter, Swept Away, and Spice World! :D

Where's that barf smiley when you need it?...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I figured that I was just trying to further the joke. Besides, when would you ever have the time to watch it with all that TV on DVD you have? Oh and that whole work and family, and updating TVShowsOnDVD.com stuff to I suppose.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I Love the 70s, 80s, 90s need to be released. Then they need to produce 60s, and 50s.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

Also, I think you'll notice that MTV shows frequently feature pop music in their audio scores. Most notably in "The Real World." And this music is then removed when released to home video.

It might be that, since MTV and VH1 have the right to show the videos on MTV, that they are able to include this music in other shows they broadcast.

Even so, it would either be impossible to get the music rights, or cost prohibitive if they could.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
And speaking of Gigli...

One premium cable service that bought the film (presumably before it opened) is trying to make the best of a bad situation:

You know a marketing campaign is unusual when it's for what amounts to a film's descent into second-run pay cable (next stop broadcast network) after its already been released in theaters, on pay-per-view, home video and first-run cable and CNN still covers it. You can read the full article here.

Regards,

Joe

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Everyone who participated in "I Love the 50's" would forget what it was they were talking about midway through their sentences. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks