Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Installation options for a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser, XM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Ron S

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 04:17 PM

Hi all!

I've been reading as much as I can on the satellite radio services, and have to say that I'm very eager to get one.

My confusion stems from what is available in terms of the *type* of installations.

I have a 2004 Toyota LC, JBL audio system, 6 disc changer (mounted in the center console) and a DVD navigation system, all stock.

I can not do without the DVD nav or 6 disc changer. AKAIK, there is no factory authorized system that will plug into the rather proprietary shape that Toyota has chosen for the dash. And wanting to squeeze every last drop of fidelity from the service, I would REALLY not like to use an ad-hoc solution like an FM demodulator or tape adapter.

So, to the heart of the matter:

ARE there any ways I can install a head-end unit into my system, and still avoid ripping out the dash? While keeping the CD changer and DVD nav?

I'm so sick of FM radio, never anything good/repetetive, etc. I listen almost exclusively to CD's, and it's a minor pain to load/reload the cartrige when I get tired of waht's in there. The depth of playlists, lack of commercials, variety, and fidelity are making me look long and hard on this issue.

*Can* I do it? Even if it doesn't fit in the decor completely, it's cool with me. It just has to fit, period.

I SO want to make the leap, and it's frustrating to find such a dearth of info on specifics, even on XM and Sirius boards.

Does anyone have any info that can help me? While cost is not a real consideration, I'd *prefer* to spend less than 700 bux or so.

Any and all info appreciated!