Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Criterion, how about these Universal titles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Brian W

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 12:45 PM

Since Criterion seems to have a relationship with Universal (Charade, Written on the Wind, All That Heaven Allows)...why not consider the following(?)- Madame X Backststreet maybe 30's and 60' version of both, but especilaly the Lana and Hayward versions in the 60's. Also and especially Maginficent Obsession! Not to mention DVDs that Universal already released with mixed results, these titles deserve the Criterion attention... Pillow Talk Imitation of Life I could go on and on...

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Flynn

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 04:05 PM

Wouldn't you love it if Criterion got their hands on Scarface, or The Pianist, or 21 Grams?

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 29 2004 - 04:29 PM

Universal really ought to license Napoleon (Abel Gance film) to Criterion. I think there are rights problems right now (between Universal, Zoetrope Studios, and StudioCanal), but when resolved... I feel that Criterion would be able to do a better job with marketing and overall product than Universal would. Not only that, Criterion would be able to justify the cost of remastering the nearly 5 1/2 hr. long film, paying for commentaries (One with Kevin Brownlow and Robert Harris would be fantastic), and offering both the Carmine Coppola and Carl Davis musical scores. Plus, Criterion would likely retain the two intermissions for the film, thus splitting the film onto 3 discs (meaning less than an hour per layer!) Universal's R2/R4 release of the film crams the 4 hr. version onto one DVD-9.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 05:40 PM

This might go on deaf ears but I think if Criterion is to release another Universal title it should be Dune; I here that a R1 SE is currently being worked on without any Lynch input.
[c][/c]

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 05:43 PM

me...im looking for them to keep the Gilliam streak going, and 12 Monkeys will be 10 years old next year. this really needs to happen.

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Magnus Nord

Magnus Nord

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 05:47 PM

I wanna see Dune made by Criterion or Blade Runner.. the last one is pure dreams though.. :/

Donnie:
Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?

Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 03:44 AM

Indeed, Universal's 12 Monkeys SE is very good as is....maybe a newer transfer but that is all you would really need to upgrade....and I personally would rather just wait for an HD-DVD transfer.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 04:50 AM

the 12 Monkeys SE is OK at best....just like the original Fear & Loathing universal released and look at what a fantastic job Criterion did with that one.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 05:40 AM

The Universal release of 12 Monkeys and Fear and Loathing don't even compare. Fear and Loathing has 3 deleted scenes, a crummy 10 minute documentary, and a trailer. 12 Monkeys has an audio commentary, a great 90-minute documentary, production photos and a trailer. I don't see the need for a Criterion release of 12 Monkeys as the current disc is very good. Criterion probably wouldn't even offer a better transfer, as their transfer of Fear and Loathing is the same as the Universal transfer.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 06:07 AM

To be honest, I never thought I would see Videodrome: Criterion Collection - but it's on it's way. So what else may Criterion have up their sleeves? Which obscure classic/cult films are Universal likely to hand over to Criterion? What about Sometimes A Great Notion (1971, Paul Newman) with Paul Chart's Conversation with Ken Kesey and a commentary by Paul Newman and cinematographer, Richard Moore?

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 06:27 AM

How about Lost Highway ? Doesn't Universal have the rights to this now? As long as we're hoping, let's hope for something that has NEVER been released on DVD.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 09:41 AM

point taken...but I was also under the impression that some of the later pressings of 12 monkeys didnt have some of the special features I know they arent listed on the back of the disks anymore. My main point is that they seem to love giving the Terry Gilliam stuff the special treatment. and with its 10year approaching, it seems likely it to will become one of the collection.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 09:46 AM

The Criterion releases of relatively obscure Universal films I'm most hoping for are:

Privilege - Peter Watkins' terrifically bleak and remarkably prophetic 1967 docudrama on media/corporate manipulation of the music industry

Letter from an Unknown Woman - Max Ophuls' devastating, ravishing doomed romance

Make Way for Tomorrow - Leo McCarey's masterful weepie about an elderly couple forced to separate when they lose their home and none of their children are able to take them in ("It would make a stone cry" said Orson Welles, and went on to directly inspire Ozu's Tokyo Story)

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 10:34 AM

There are 2 versions of 12 Monkeys, the DTS release is bare-bones. Perhaps that's the one you were looking at.

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 11:04 AM

Lost Highway has been released on DVD. I have the R0 Australian DVD, and am extremely pleased with it. On another note, I am so all over the SE of Videodrome. Some of the best DVD news I have ever heard.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 12:06 PM

Yes, the separate DTS release of 12 Monkeys had little to none of the extra content (ala, Apollo 13) that the DD title had. To each his own but I see nothing wrong with the rather excellent current DVD, certainly nothing that requires a Criterion or Universal re-release before any possible HD-DVD.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,369 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 02:12 AM

Jon, Letter From An Unknown Woman doesn't belong to Universal but is part of the Republic library now controlled by Artisan and soon to revert to Paramount.

Criterion did a laser disc of Ophuls' Letter From An Unknown Woman as well as several other titles from the Republic library including High Noon and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 05:24 AM

Justin, is that Lost Highway disc anamorphic? Any extras? Where did you get it? - Thanks

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 10:43 AM

Oh, bugger. Well thanks for the info, ThomasC! At least Paramount might give it decent treatment.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 08:53 PM

In reading about the extras on VIDEODROME I notice there is no mention of the extra footage used on the A&E broadcast of a few years ago. The footage was mentioned in VideoWatchDog and Tim Lucas appears to be involved with this DVD. It is nothing special but it does add to the story.
My DVDs Yes, I really own'em all.
My CDs I have more film music than films.
My Equipment (coming one day...)
My LDs Getting smaller everyday