Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Girls comes to DVD on Nov 30th!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Aaron_H

Aaron_H

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 11:36 PM

UltimateDisney.com has announced this morning that several Buena Vista shows are coming to DVD this fall. Among them is the first season of the Golden Girls on November 30th!

I'm so excited. I've been waiting for this for a long time!

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 11:54 PM

Thank the fcuking lord!! Hands down, IMHO Golden Girls is the best show of all time!

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 12:31 AM

It will be nice to see them full length, not with parts cut out like LifeTime does to make way for more commercials time.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 28 2004 - 03:36 AM

This is long overdue. Fall can't come quickly enough, can it?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 03:38 AM

This is very good news. I think that this show has one of the best comedic ensembles ever. I hope that it sells a lot so the studios will realize that young people (and no doubt older people, too!) will buy sets that supposedly skew "old". I was a kid when this show was on and all I know it has fans of all ages.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted May 28 2004 - 03:57 AM

I'm happy for you all but as someone who lives near Del Rey, I've had my fill of "golden girls" (and "golden boys" as well).

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 28 2004 - 04:13 AM

I hope that it sells a lot so the studios will realize that young people (and no doubt older people, too!) will buy sets that supposedly skew "old".
They say one of the biggest audiences for the show today is college students. So hopefully that won't be a problem.

It will be nice to see them full length, not with parts cut out
Same here. All too often I'm already laughing in anticipation of the punchline topper just to find it's been cut out. Posted Image

I just hope they put the effort into ensuring full, complete episodes and don't get some half-assed mix of cut and uncut like on some other sets.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 05:08 AM

Woo Hoo.

I will definately purchase it. Just wish it wasnt still 5 or 6 months away.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
This is very good news. I think that this show has one of the best comedic ensembles ever. I hope that it sells a lot so the studios will realize that young
people (and no doubt older people, too!) will buy sets that supposedly skew "old". I was a kid when this show was on and all I know it has fans of all
ages.

Very well put Amy.

I'll definitely buy this perhaps more than 1 copy, this would also be a good Christmas present for my mom.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 01:14 PM

Congratulations, guys. Not a sale for me, but I know you have been waiting for this for a long time. Posted Image

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 03:34 PM

This is fantastic news! 11/30 can't get here fast enough! Posted Image Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 05:14 PM

They'll be happy about this on The O.C.
My Collection

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 02:28 AM

Can't breathe, too excited....... I have been waiting for this since the dawn of TV on DVD. My sister will love this too!

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 10:40 AM

I have been awaiting this since TV on DVD became popular, and even created an online petition (www.petitiononline.com/golden) singed 11812 people - so obviously this is wanted!!

This show is one of the top rated TV shows in syndication as people have mentioned. This was proven when it was actually on the primtime Nielson ratings about a year ago which is odd for a syndicated show that started 2 decades ago!

This is personally my favourite show of all time, so I will be there when the store opens! I have been watching this since it began re-airing in Canada five years ago, have every episode on tape, and catch it as often as I can. This is the only show (along with The Mary Tyler Morre Show) that I can watch repeatedly, and not tire of. While shows like I Love Lucy are great, there are certain epsiodes that I trie of - not with The Golden Girls! I am 18, and this is extremely popular with university/college students, as seen on The OC.

I hope the include the original season one openings! That would be awesome! Anything more would just be great, such as commentaries, interviews, TV spots, advertsing galleries, magazine covers/articles, various documentaries that have aired over the years, award clips, Lifetime bios on the girls, and the NBC Fall Preview on the Girls. What do you all think, what types of bonus features would you like to see?

Andy

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 29 2004 - 03:26 PM

what types of bonus features would you like to see?
How about "Jump Directly to a St. Olaf Story." Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Benjamin.D

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 06:41 AM

Yes! It's about time. If anyone tells another St. Olaf story, I'm gonnna burst!!!!

Ben

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   MichaelFA

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 06:06 PM

I hope they take advantage, and do cast commentaries while Betty, Rue, and Bea are still alive and well. Actually, Bea probably wouldn't do commentaries... but I'm sure Rue might, and I'm positive Betty would. I really hope they do! Even if it's only on the Pilot episode... but hopefully more.

A creator's commentary would be nice too, but I'd rather have a cast one!

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 11:00 PM

I agree Michael, cast commentaries would be great to have! Since the was originally supposed to be released last year (although no date given), I hope that they took the extra time to give us fans some truly great bonus features! How has Buena Vista been on their other TV-DVD releases? Are they always great product, or do they vary?

Andy

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 31 2004 - 06:13 AM

The only Disney TV discs I have are WD Treasures discs with Disney anthology series episodes or discs with episodes as supplements, and they are pretty good (but not flawless, and then there's the incident with Disneyland USA). Some even have the "coming next week" tags and ads for whatever Disney film was in theatres at the time intact.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Josh Carpenter

Josh Carpenter

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 03:14 PM

I sooo can't wait for this.. Im a huge golden girl fan(and only 26years old Posted Image)

I hope there is commentaries.. but bea I dont think will do it, there is some bad blood between them I think.(maybe she will be offered a bunch of money, to do it anywayPosted Image)

"picture it, late 2004, USA.. we are finally gonna be on dvd.."

Posted Image

Still not confirmed though from BV? I know Ultimate Disney is a good source.. but could still be wrong.. i so hope its true though. this would crush me, if it isnt Posted Image