What's new

How do you watch your Season Sets? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
do you just hit one episode here and there?
do you try to watch 2 or 3 or 1 disc at a time?
do you watch them casually, over the course of weeks or months?- or do you burn thru the whole season in just a few days?

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I try to pace myself. Always in sequential order. Episodes 1-15 or however many there are... It's tempting to go to eposides that you recall as a kid growing up but, I wait for those until I get to them in the numerical order.

I did this for Starsky & Hutch Season 1. This is a show that I loved as a kid, but I don't think I started watching it until season two or three, so it was neat seeing a lot of these first season episodes that I never saw before.

:cool:

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
For me, it depends on the show. For example, I can coast through a full season of 'Friends' in under 2 days, mainly because it is so easy to watch without getting bored. Shows such as 'Sanford And Son' I find are more difficult to sit through for long periods of time. This is mainly because of repetitiveness. After watching Fred clutch his chest and talk to his dead wife over and over again, it's just too monotonous. The same jokes get old and tired and I get bored, so I definitely pace myself with that one.

'Three's Company' is another one which rehashes the same jokes (Helen's lack of sex, Stanley's gay jokes towards Jack), but for some reason, I manage to coast through those as well. I guess the storylines keep me pretty much intrigued.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
One episode at a time on a weekly basis, one every two weeks for shorter series or series with fewer seasons. Scheduling the episodes can present problems when I'm trying to juggle too many series at once, but the likes of Cheers and Frasier, where there are many seasons to get through, have a guaranteed slot every week. At my current rate, it will take me over three years to get through all five seasons of Dick Van Dyke.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Gosh, there are so many coming out, and I get mine from several regions. I tend to start watching and try to make it through the entire series over the course of a couple of days. I have so many unopened sets at this point, where at one stage, I could pretty much keep up with them.

I prefer single-sided discs because I can rack 'em up in my 5-disc changer and just let them play (if they're equipped with the play all feature). That's one of the things I prefer on the UK Stargate SG-1 individual disc releases over the US releases - they automatically will play all, while the US releases - at least the early ones I've watched - you have to select each episode individually. I find that I tend not to watch the series released on double-sided discs, even though I buy them.

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator
I burn right through them. I guess there's something about the pacing of TV shows that allows me to sit through hours at a time. With movies, my limit is usually 1 at a time.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
The Prisoner (watched all at one time)

Roswell (I've only watched 2 discs so far)

Little House on the Prairie ( I watch over time. Too many sets and not enough time to do in one sitting).

Freaks and Geeks (I watched over a period of three days)

MSCL (watched over a period of 3-4 days)

Jem and the Holograms ( watch a few episodes here and there)

Alias (Haven't even started yet. I am waiting to get the second season before I start).

I guess it depends on the show. If it's one I absolutely love and haven't seen in so long I may wait till I have a full day to just sit and watch it all. Others I just watch when I can.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I don't, I just collect them. I'm far too busy trying to transfer my video collection of tens of thousands of tapes. I'll get to the pre-recordeds eventually.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
depends on the show. 5 seaons of buffy and 4 of angel, took me about 5 months, and that was pretty much at least 1 a night, if not 2 just cause i was getting so into it.

futurama/family guy, couple days to finish those off.

i've been working on deep space nine season 2 for about a year. i really like the show, but i just found it harder to watch 45 minutes of that, than 45 of buffy/angel. just seems liek those 2 were over in like 10 minutes. maybe it was just cause it was all new to me, (although i'm seeing alot of season 2 DS9 i've not seen before)

Dillon*G

Second Unit
Most of the times I watch 1-3 episodes a day so it takes me about a week or two on bigger shows like Angel and a couple of days to go through smaller sets like S1 of Futurama.But,if i'm on a long trip I can watch my shows on my dvd player in the car and watch several episodes till I reach my destination.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I take my time on the approx. dozen TV series I currently have. Some get 1-2 episodes per week, others less. I use 1 hour time slots, so I'll see 2 half-hour eps at a time. I'm closing in on the end of S4 of Star Trek DS9, which is one of my high volume watches, so I'll likely not finish it until 1Q05.

Doug

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I always watch the epsiodes in order and I try to get at least 2 episodes in, per viewing. I can't wait - M*A*S*H Season 6 hits store on June 8th!!!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It varies with the show and my own schedule. Since replacing my dead 1997 Toshiba player with a 5-disc KLH changer (still paired with my old region-free Apex single disc) I now often load up all six discs of a one hour drama and just watch the episodes in order as I go. If it's been a really long day at the office, there isn't a lot of work to do around the house, there's nothing much I want to watch on TV and I just feel like vegging out, I may watch five or six episodes in a row. Or I may watch one or two episodes a night for a couple of weeks. (Unless I catch up on a bunch over the weekend.)

When I got Babylon 5 season one I watched the whole thing between Friday night and Sunday night - just eating up the episodes like popcorn. But then, B5 is a series that was designed to be watched back-to-back-to-back, and doesn't contain the kind of repetition that is tolerable week to week or even daily, but gets on your nerves in higher doses. Last week I did CSI: S3. Next I'll load up NYPD Blue: S3 - but this weekend is for catching up on some movies, so they'll be in the players instead.

Regards,

Joe

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
For me, I am one of those people where it depends on the show. Simpsons/Friends...can burn through them right away, in fact I have Friends on in the background right now.

Sanford and Son was mentioned earlier, and that is one where I usually do a couple of episodes at a time.

Generally, when I get a season of a show, I try to get to it right away.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I watch them usually within a month or so, but for some reason, I haven't been *that* obsessed with the HB sets so I haven't finished any of them.

I always watch in order unless a disc looks scratched. I watch that one to make sure it's ok before I watch the others.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I usually watch one episode every night before going to bed. Sometimes, if I start early, I'll watch a second episode, but I generally like to savor the experience. When the show is at a particularly exciting part, I'll sometimes anxiously anticipate my viewing time all day long. How sad is that? Anyway, that's how it was through most of Deep Space Nine, and that's how it is with Smallville Season 2, which is what I'm watching right now. With one exception, I've kept to the one-a-night limit with this particular set.

I do have one thing working in my favor this time around, and it's that I have another set I'm working on at the same time. For the most part, I have exactly one season set at a time. The first time that wasn't the case was when Deep Space Nine Season Four came out before I had finished Smallville Season 1. In that case, I didn't crack open my DS9 box until I had finished Smallville. I guess it's similar to how I will only read one novel at a time. Anyway, this time, I had Have Gun-Will Travel a week before Smallville. As lengthy as Have Gun is--39 episodes--I decided I didn't want to wait until I was done to start Smallville. So, I swap those out and watch an episode a piece every night.

One additional wrinkle: Have Gun is a half-hour show, so it was initially tempting to watch several episodes at a time. I actually only did that once or twice, but I haven't done it at all since I got Smallville.

It's not a season set, obviously, but I watch my serial discs in a similar fashion: one chapter a night. Chapters typically run 20 minutes, so that's a real brief viewing. But, it at least gives me a taste of the suspense and anticipation an audience in the '30s/'40s/'50s would have felt from week to week.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I don't have a TV at the moment, so I carefullly divide my sets up so that I can get one hour of TV-on-DVD viewing time on my laptop DVD player every weekday. I watch two half-hour shows together or one hour show by itself generally.

The downside to this method is that it can take up to a year to finish one season set! Someday I'll have to experiment and watch one set in one day, like those who have watch all 24 episodes of "24" in one day.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I try to pace myself. Lord knows I try. My ideal setting would be an episode of a show per week to get that feel of the original run. maybe a different show per day.

That was the idea with 24, to keep the suspense for a week in between each episode. THen my wife and I popped in the first episode at about 10pm one night. Only because we were waking up at 7 am were we able to stop at disc one!

Ken Martinez

Auditioning
With a season set like Frasier or Cheers I tend to watch a disc at a time, usually finishing an entire season within a week. If it's a one hour show it takes me about two weeks.

With animated shows like the HB or Warner collections it takes me a lot longer. I get bored if I take these shows in large doses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks