What's new

Guide to IR repeater wiring? (1 Viewer)

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone point me to a guide for installing an IR repeater system?

Thanks

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
Erik

Thanks for the link. I have a couple of questions.

I will be cascading several connecting blocks. I plan on placing them in the attic and basement. The problem I can't seem to get around is running the wires from the wall to the components. I want this to look clean. Any ideas?

Also, I am hoping to use existing cable to wire the blocks and to eaach IR sensor. Can I use CAT5?

Thanks for any help.

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
Hey John,

I have a whole house audio system that uses CAT5 for the controls and IR repeating. You could definitely use your existing CAT5 for IR, as long as you have a free twisted pair. What are you using the CAT5 for now?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
John, as Ken mentioned, yes you can use Cat5...as to how to get your wires to your equipment...it's hard to suggest anything without seeing a layout or pictures of what you're dealing with.

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I have not completed the CAT5 runs yet. I have about 1000 feet (surplus)I was given from a friend working in IT.

I will try to post some images of my equipment lay outs.

Thanks for the replies

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I have a cat5e running from back of my Monitor to my "proposed" equipment room.
Right now (most likely for quite some years) this will be an open, unused cat5 port.
How can I use this for transmitting IR signals to my equipments? What all devices(hardware) do I need for this.

Thanks
Kumar.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
kumar

I used the IR blaster port on the back of my toshiba. bought some mini plugs at radio shack and sodered the male plug at the tv then hooked some IR leds (got off ebay and got one with my sat box) to the other end in my closet. (if you want some cloesup pics let me know)

you could do the same if you have an IR blaster out on your monitor. if not you would need to purchase some sort of IR repeater (niles, xantech ect. I like xantech, check this link... http://www.worthdist.com/xantech/xantechir.htm ) and wire a patch cord with a rj45 plugh on one end and wire the other end to the IR dist block. You would need one at each end.

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks