-

Photo
- - - - -

dts problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   MattAnder

MattAnder

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 10:31 AM

Hey everyone. I'm new here and I'm sure DTS questions have been asked to death, but please bear with me. I tried to do a search, but wasn't successful. Anyway, I recently bought the 60th anniversay edition of Saving Private Ryan specifically for the the DTS sound. However, when I put in the disk and selected the DTS option I didn't get any sound. I thought maybe it was a bad disk and brought it back to Best Buy--they tested it and found nothing wrong with it. They told me to mess with my settings and make sure DTS was enabled. I was almost positive it was, but I messed with my settings anyway and still it didn't work. The bigger problem is that now I can't get DTS to work on any of my dvds even though it says dts on the player so I know it's at least trying to decode it. I don't know if it's because I screwed something up with the settings or what. Here's what I have for equipment:

Sony DVP NC600 dvd player
Marantz SR8200 receiver

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Bill Kane

Bill Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 10:56 AM

Here is what's found in PRIMER/FAQ (see lefthand top in BASICS FORUM)

John Garcia
Santa Clara, Ca.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Local Date and Time:
May 27th, 2004
03:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First time Using DTS on my system and there is no sound when selecting DTS on a DVD. Dolby Digital and music are working though, why?

All three of these things MUST be present and configured for DTS playback:

1) Your receiver must be set to "Auto detect" or forced to DTS decoding.

2) In your DVD player's digital audio setup menu, you must ENABLE DTS. Dolby digital is on by default, and on 99.9% of players, DTS is NOT turned on from the factory.

3) Select the DTS track in the disc's setup menu.

The no.2 step is the most frequently overlooked.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 05:57 PM

On some players you set dts to "bitstream"
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   MattAnder

MattAnder

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 06:11 PM

Bill, thanks for the response, but those issues have already been cleared up. The Best Buy dude (like he would actually know) suggested I do #2. Even though I was 99% sure dts was enabled on my player I messed around with my settings anyway, which didn't help at all for Saving Private Ryan. It was only after I messed with the settings that none of my dts disks work, but again I'm almost positive I put my settings back to where they were when dts worked. Any other ideas?

Neil, I'm not familiar with "bitstream" and have never seen that on my player or receiver.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 10:09 PM

Page 68 of the Manual if you aren't sure what the settings were when dts worked before:

You must set Digital Out: to ON
Dolby Digital: to DOLBY DIGITAL
DTS: to ON

If this is set up correctly then check Bill's post #1 above:
1) Your receiver must be set to "Auto detect" or forced to DTS decoding.

Can't think of anything else unless there is a problem with the dts track on your disc.
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Tod Golden

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 02:46 AM

Try playing the disc with the DD track. If that doesn't work then I would think there is a connection problem or possibly a bad cable. Just a thought.

Tod

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   MattAnder

MattAnder

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 02:46 AM

I made sure those settings were correct and still none of my disks work with dts. This is really ticking me off because I know for a fact that I used to get dts before. I don't understand what's different. Does anybody know how to make my receiver "auto detect"? I don't remember ever seeing that option when I set up my receiver. I don't know if it makes a difference, but dts isn't shown on the receiver anywhere while the disk is being played, I mean the logo is there, so it supports dts, but dts doesn't show up anywhere like it's trying to decode it like it does on the player.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 02:50 AM

So you could play DTS movies on your DVD player before SPR. Or is this the first time you have tried? If you have been able to play DTS movies before SPR, and SPR doesn't work. Take it back to BB )again) and tell them that it won't play in your player. And that you have other DTS movies that do play on your player.

If this is your first attempt at playing a DTS DVD in your player then I would suggest doing step 2 again, without a DVD in the player. Turn DTS to on, and then how it is sent to "butstream" (sorry can't recall the actual correct terminologyPosted Image ). Then turn off the DVD player. Turn it back on and try SPR again. I will assume that the SR8200 is a DTS capable reciever. Since I am not familiar with Marantz products. I do see the 8400 on the Marantz website, and it is DTS capable, and my guess is the 8200 is a little older then it. So I'm guessing it is. If nothing works take it back. Make BB give you another DVD.

Good luck.
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 02:54 AM

OK I see that you think you have. Have you actually gone into the menu on a DVD movie setup and choosen DTS. It usually askes you twice. If not then you have never watched a movie in DTS. The default is DD. I'm sure that you know this, but one can't be too surePosted Image Posted Image

My Denon has the Auto detect button on the face of the reciever and on the remote. I am trying to find where it would be on yours. But the remotes on the Marantz website...well since they are Universals you can't see the buttons. LOL Wish I could help more. Go through your OSD and look for a button on you remote/face of your reciever.

Does your Marantz have OSD????

That might help
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
"butstream"

Is this some type of slang for dysentery?Posted Image Posted Image

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 07:26 PM

Maybe the dts chip is bad.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted May 30 2004 - 08:06 PM

For auto detect on your receiver, check
Setup Main
/Input Setup
whatever Digital Input your DVD player is set to should have 'AT' set (for auto-detect).
eg if your DVD is plugged into Digital Input 2

1 Input Setup
DVD D2-AT

this is from the SR7400 Manual, I can't find one for the 8200 but generally the setups are similar.

If you also have Multichannel audio connections from your DVD player to Receiver, make sure you haven't selected the Multichannel Input when you want to have the receiver decode the dts track.
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Lev-S

Lev-S

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 04:37 PM

out of curiosity, are you trying to select DTS on the receiver or on the DVD menu?
My DVDs

Homer: So, Mr. Malloy, it seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him.
Skinner: How ironic.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   MattAnder

MattAnder

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 05:36 PM

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been responding to my own post, but I've been outta town. I'll look at your responses tomorrow and see if any of them work. Thanks again.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Peter_W

Peter_W

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted June 01 2004 - 03:49 AM

I thought the same thing too. I had to go into the setup section of the DVD, let the into pass (passes without sound), and when the movie actually starts, the processing and sound starts. My 2 cents.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   MattAnder

MattAnder

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted June 02 2004 - 12:37 PM

Ok guys. Sorry about the length, but here's an update on my problem. Thanks again for all your responses so far. I appreciate you trying to help me. I just got done testing Saving Private Ryan on my parents system and DTS worked just fine. I also tested American Beauty which for whatever reason the DTS didn't work on my system before. I don't know why I didn't take it back--I just figured it was too much hassle and the movie didn't need to have great sound for me to enjoy it, but that one worked too. Now I'm getting some new thoughts in my head. I'm no audiophile by any means, but I do consider myself at least somewhat versed in home theater basics, but is it possible that I've never even watched a movie in DTS before? Is it possible that I've been thinking I've been listening to DTS but really haven't? I doubt it because I know I've heard sound during the DTS intro (the piano deal) before. As I was typing this message I threw in Die Hard (on the other system) and DTS worked on that even though it didn't work on my system before either. It's very strange--on my system some DTS movies worked and some didn't, but now none of them work and on my parents system they all seem to work. I don't get it. Anyway, I tried the suggestions you guys gave and none of them worked. One thing I noticed on my parents receiver (Pioneer) the letters dts showed up on the display as the movie was playing. On my Marantz it doesn't do that. I never noticed anything showing up before, but do you think it should? Dts shows up on my player though.

Here's what my player settings are right now:
Audio ATT ON
Audio DRC Standard
DownMix Dolby Surround
Digital Out ON
Dolby Digital Dolby Digital
DTS ON

Do those look right?

Auto detect is enabled on my receiver--I checked
It's set to THX Cinema--I was told to always leave it on that setting while watching movies.

The receiver also has the words pro logic, analog and att displayed on it.

I can't think of anything else to include. I'm just trying to give you guys as much information as I can. Thanks.

P.S. Is it possible that my dvd player just conked out? I've been meaning to upgrade, so maybe this will be a good excuse.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted June 02 2004 - 08:17 PM

Quote:
The receiver also has the words pro logic, analog and att displayed on it.

To me this says that your receiver is not reading the dts signal from the DVD player (auto detecting it), or the DVD player is outputting only analog.

Go back into your receivers settings, and rather than setting it to 'Auto' try and see if you can force it to Digital by switching the AT to Dig, or whatever method is in your manual.

Now this may be a really stupid question, but you are using a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver, and not the red/white analog ones, correct?

If none of the above works, either try a different DVD player on your receiver, or try your DVD player on a different receiver.

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 12:01 AM

Quote:
Now this may be a really stupid question, but you are using a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver, and not the red/white analog ones, correct?

90% of the time, when the receiver only says Pro-Logic and/or analog and the DTS does not work, this is the case. The poster should make sure he has a digital coax or optical connection from the DVD to the receiver, not just the analog R/W cables. If his DVD settings are what he listed, I suspect he does not have a digital connection.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   ifor

ifor

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 09:31 AM

if the reciever says analog then it is for sure the digital cable is not hooked up .

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 04:43 PM

Quote:
"butstream"

OOPS my bad :b Posted Image

Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)

Forum Nav Content I Follow