Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Movies you liked but everyone else hated

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#1 of 94 JohnVB

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:21 AM

Ok, 'nough with the negativism with "movies you hated, actors you hate to see, series that got worse" stuff. Let's talk about stuff you liked instead.

In particular mention a movie you liked that everybody else seemed to dislike, and explain why.

For me I liked Matrix: Revolutions.

I like this movie because much of what is going on is not fully explained. I like that it makes me think. I also liked the themes that were somewhat explored. I liked the other Matrix movies as well, but this is the one that most people hated.

I like it even more now that I've gotten the DVD and watched it a few more times. The ending of Revolutions makes it clear to me that the Matrix movies are a story about the Oracle, but as seen through the eyes of others.

The way the story resovles makes sense to me. The machines are too powerful for humans to defeat, so for the war to end, either the humans get wiped out or a bargain must be made. The Oracle nicely manipulates events so that such a bargain is possible. I think this is the part that drove most people nuts. They didn't like the way it ended.

Now what I wanna know is "what has the Oracle seen in the future that has her scared and wanting human cooperation?" I wonder if sequel movie(s) have already been conceived, or if it's just left open for now.

- bones
To acknowledge, inspire and nurture excellence in those who are open

#2 of 94 Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit

• 484 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:33 AM

Van Helsing!! Loved it. Seen it 3 times already!! Can't wait for the DVD!! Release date could be October 12, 2004. (Not official until its announced.)

October 12th is also Hugh Jackman's birthday, so that's kinda cool.

Got this info from comingsoon.net

#3 of 94 Geordy

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:41 AM

waterworld

i thought it was just lots of good fun, and just about everyone laughs when i say i liked this film

#4 of 94 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,503 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:46 AM

I'm with Evelio and "Van Helsing." Saw it for the second time this past weekend and liked it even better than the first time. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 94 DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:52 AM

Matrix 2 & 3

Lost in Space

Pearl Harbor

Titanic

Star Trek Nemesis

Fast and the Furious

#6 of 94 DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:53 AM

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

I know most people can't stand it, and it's certainly not in the same league as the first. But, I like it enough. My only real problem with it is was Jeff Goldblum. He may have been playing the same character in name, but he was an entirely different Ian Malcom. It may have been intentional, or did he just flub it because he didn't want to be there? (a la Harrison Ford in ROTJ)

#7 of 94 LanieParker

LanieParker

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 09:28 AM

I'm not sure if people here will hate these movies or not, you all seem to like alot of different stuff here....

My friends and family and others around me hate all these movies that I LOVE!

The Big Blue (my father in law teases me that I love this one so much. " Why the hell would he choose a fish over a woman?")

Desperately Seeking Susan/Who's That Girl (no Madonna fans here other than me)

Night of the Living Dead *original* ( my mother doesn't understand my fascination with this movie. Pretty much all the slasher/horror/zombie movies get this reaction)

Samantha (I always get " How can you watch that movie as much as you do?" )

The Trigger Effect ( No one here seems to get that film)

Red Rock West (other than my friend, everyone here thinks this movie is bizarr)

High Fideltity ( again they all think it's dumb)

there are tons more , but I can't think of them all now.

#8 of 94 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 11:49 AM

Matinee -- I adore this movie. It's absolutely nostalgic, and not necessarily for me as its timeframe predates me. But, it's nostalgic for a time when movies were so special, and so good, before I grew up and became too cynical. I prefer the innocence of this film where even the bad movies were good simply because they were movies.

#9 of 94 Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 12:53 PM

Matinee

Great movie...I loved this too. I don't think it's so much a movie everyone else hated, as much as a movie that just simply didn't come across many people's radar screen.

#10 of 94 Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 341 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted May 26 2004 - 01:25 PM

Killer Klowns From Outer Space and CHUD seem to get the most groans from my family.

#11 of 94 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 01:45 PM

Cabin Boy and Hudson Hawk are in my collection. And both get watched far more frequently than Seven Samurai.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#12 of 94 Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 02:24 PM

Armageddon
Chill Factor
Halloween 3
Pay It Forward
Radio
Speed 2
We Were Soldiers
XXX

#13 of 94 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 03:59 PM

i've shown Repo Man to dozens of people, and everyone hated it. and i think it is great.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 94 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 04:08 PM

What Planet Are You From? (1999) Box office dud, but still makes me laugh and grin nearly all the way through.

#15 of 94 MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 04:17 PM

Gremlins 2
Beloved
Crash - Cronenberg
HavPlenty
Dune
Star Trek V
The Avengers
Lethal Weapon 3 & 4
Fried Green Tomatos
RoboCop 2
Star Trek III
Fatal Beauty -Whoopi
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Burglar
I like old Whoopi Flicks - I know how to mistreat a house guest

[c][/c]

#16 of 94 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 05:25 PM

In my circle, it's Election that I love and everyone else hates, except for one person.

Others would be

Big Lebowski (not hate for it, just bewiliderment as to why I like it)

Solaris (Soderbergh version)(two friends saw it and they both hated it.)

I'm sure there are others.

#17 of 94 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 06:18 PM

Ones that most hate that I enjoy:

The Postman (sure, if you trimmed out about 30 minutes, it'd be a much better film, but I like the concept a good deal)

Hudson Hawk (funnier then I think it gets credit for)

Back to the Beach - this film gets bashed by all my friends, but I always thought it was one of the best goofball comedies Posted Image

Attack of the Clones - Still love the flick a good deal, and consider it my second favorite of all the SW (behind Empire)
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#18 of 94 CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 06:49 PM

For me, it would also be Waterworld, a film that undeservedly got bashed. I'll also put in a bid for Lake Placid which was released right around the same time the Deep Blue Sea came out and was a better flick.

I always tell people if you liked Tremors you'll like Lake Placid.

Other flicks would be the Hulk and the Matrix Reloaded.

#19 of 94 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 08:29 PM

Dune. Now waiting to get the new UK 2-disc SE, which will be my 3rd purchase of this (first one was VHS, second was the R4 with DTS but non-anamorphic transfer).

#20 of 94 Mark Starratt

Mark Starratt

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 09:26 PM

One that I like is a "chick flick", and I get slammed for that. Steel Magnolias. Tom Skerrit and Shirley McLaine are hilarious. "Yeah, he's a real gentleman. He probably takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it."
Mark