What's new

Is there a certain actor/ actress's movies that you won't watch? (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Is there a certain actor or actress that you can't stand and will not watch any movie that they appear in?

For me it's Marlon Brando, Steven Baldwin,Ben Stiller, Pauley Shore, Robert DeNiro, Julia Roberts and Reese Witherspoon.

Also will add Madonna,Kirk Cameron and just about anything with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler.

Some have wondered why I included Brando and DeNiro in my list. They may have been good actors some decades ago, but now it seems as though they mug to the camera and tend to overact in their most recent films. The only films I have with either actor is Superman:The Movie and Backdraft. Both have relatively small parts in these films, so I can watch those.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Adam Sandler. Huge waste of biological material. Fail to understand why anything he does is considered "funny."

Julia Roberts/Jennifer Lopez/Halle Berry/Russell Crowe. The ego has landed.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
For me, it would have to be Adam Sandler, Woody Allen, Julia Roberts, J-Loco (three :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: on that one alone), Pauly Shore, Rob Schneider, Jack Black (I think that Sandler, Shore, Schneider, and Black all went to the idiots' school of acting), Uma Thurman (puh-leeeeze! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: ), Cameron Diaz (the only film she did I can tolerate is "The Mask"), just about any film in which Jim Carrey plays a goofball, Tom Green (beyond vulgar), Beyonce (who told her she could act? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: ), and Billy Bob Thornton (can we say "redneck"?). Anyone else that comes to mind, I'll add them on later.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Julia Roberts.

Tom Cruise movies - I watch some of them because the premise is interesting. Unfortunatley - except for Risky Business and The 4th of July - he ends up diminishing the movie for me.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Halle Berry, Helen Hunt, Mathew Broderick. If they are event films where they are only a small part I will watch, X-men, Twister, Godzilla, but other than that they all make me wince.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
No.

But I’m curious, as to your list Douglas. Are these actors on the list because they are in movies you don’t like, because you think that they are very poor actors, or because of their politics?

Of course you are free to boycott actor’s movies for any reason, but I don’t care any more about an actor’s politics or personality than I do a baseball player’s--oOr any other entertainer’s. I can well understand boycotting movies that address a particular subject in a specific manner, but as far as I am aware, all of these actors have made movies that have nothing to do with their politics.

If your reason is that they are not very good actors, I would only comment that opinion is not shared by very many critics and knowledgeable lay people. Although for sure, if that is your reason, you are entitled to your opinion.

If you don’t care for their movies, that too is a matter of your own personal tastes, but how do you know that they won’t be in a good movie next time? And as for what has been produced so far, you are missing:
·The Wild One
·On the Waterfront
·The Ugly American
·Guys and Dolls
·The Godfather
·Apocalypse Now
·Superman

A pretty mixed bag, all with Brando.

·Mission Impossible
·The Royal Tenenbaums

With Stiller

·The Godfather, Part II
·The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight
·Bang the Drum Slowly
·Mean Streets
·Once Upon a Time in America
·Taxi Driver
·Brazil
·Meet the Parents
·The Untouchables
·The Deer Hunter
·The King of Comedy
·Raging Bull

Just a few with DeNiro

·Flatliners
·Pretty Woman
·Erin Brockovich
·Ocean’s Eleven
·Steel Magnolias

All with Julia Robers

·Legally Blonde
·Pleasantville

With Witherspoon.

This seems like a very wide range of movies to dislike.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
There are definitely those actors/actresses that bug the snot out of me. However, I will never not see a movie because they are in it. On the other hand, I've been known to go see movies just because someone is in it. I've done this with Grace Kelly (serious eye candy), Jack Lemmon (great actor and hysterical), James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman.

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I can't stand him. Top Gun as a race car driver, Top Gun as a bartender, Top Gun as a samurai warrior, Top Gun as a sports agent, Top Gun as a motivational speaker. I generally pass on his movies if he's in them, with the latest exception being Minority Report only because I'm a huge fan of the genre.

The obvious choices have been named, but I'd also like to add another Tom, Tom Green.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Russle Crowe
Sandra Bullock
Cameron Diaz
JENNIFER LOPEZ
JENNIFER LOPEZ
Ben Afflack
Reese Witherspoon
Julia Roberts

George Clooney is starting to suck.
Black dude from kangeroo Jack (I hate him).
MTV Films and all the teen stars in them.

DeNiro, that freaked me too, I'm like "what the hell is wrong with that guy?".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Probably the fact that he's become a paycheck whore in recent years. Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle anyone?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I can't say there's anyone who will stop me from watching a film nowadays. For a period of time I avoided every film Adam Sandler made like the plague, but then Punch Drunk Love came out so I was left with no one to avoid.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't actors who really annoy me (ie: Stallone, Cuba Gooding Jr, Halle Berry, Julia Roberts), but if they make a film that has gotten excellent reviews & word of mouth, I'll go see it.

Oh, and when I see DeNiro's name in a film today, I immediatly think the worse, so I can't blame anyone for avoiding his films.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Adam Sandler (Except Punch Drunk Love which I liked), Richard Gere,Jennifer Lopez, Cameron Diaz (Although she doesnt keep me from watching Gangs of NY)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Adam Sandler is the only one that makes me not to watch the movie, the rest of the list makes me think twice to watch it:

Kevin "I want to be a tough guy so badly but I'm a wimp" Costner
Nicholas Cage
Drew Barrymore

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
There is no one movie that I wont watch a movie because of an actor or actress, but I cant stand watching certain actors and actresses.

Jennifer Tilly
Brendan Frazer
Juliette Lewis

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
For me, it's just Jennifer Lopez. I don't find her talented and I sure do not see what so many people think is so sexy about her.

I dislike watching Kevin Spacey and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but I don't necessarily avoid their movies because of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks