What's new

Remote HELL (1 Viewer)

WilliamPC

Agent
I just upgraded my gear to add a Samsung HLN507W 50" DLP, a H/K AVR230 and a Sammy SIR-TS160 DTV HD STB. Amazing.

Existing gear was a Zenith DVD3281 Prog Scan DVD, XBOX, Pioneer S-H352F-K towers (low end fronts), JBL ARC30 surounds and Cotco special KLH E12DB 125 watt 12" sub X 2.

Speakers are the weakest link (see thread in speaker section).

I am frustrated in ALL the remotes that I now have. None of them seems to be the one to rule them all.

Any ideas or product recommendations for a superb universal remote that is intuitive and backlit??

Thanks!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Depends how much money you want to spend, and if you like hard buttons or touch screen.

Try http://www.remotecentral.com as they have a 'Clicker Picker', where you enter what options you would prefer and it spits out suggestions.

Be aware that the prices in the clicker picker are retail, and in most cases you can get the remotes for much cheaper. For example the popular MX-500 is listed at 189 when in fact it is easily ordered online for 90 dollars.

Peter_W

Agent
I recently purchased a Harmnoy 688 on e-bay. I love the remote. I previously had a Sony touch screen, but I don't like to have to look at the remote all the time to do what I wanted. I also did not like having to use both hands all the time.

It is my opinion that the Harmony is not as simple to set up as some would lead you to believe, but if you have a computer with USB, and time, there is nothing that it cannot do (at least not that I have found yet). I did have to teach the remote all RAW commands, but it works all components and I have not had to reach into the drawer yet.

I am working a Dish 811, Sony STR-DA4ES reciever, Sony Projection TV, XBOX, and remote lighting.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I agree with the previous posts. For around $100, consider the Home Theater Master MX-500 or Harmony H659. They are the best in their price range, although a case could be made for the new Sony RM-AV3100 as well. Please be aware that with the Harmony remotes, you will not get warranty coverage from Harmony unless you purchase one from an authorized dealer.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have used a Philips pronto for several years and love it. You can find the first and second generations on Ebay for reasonable prices. If you don't like touchscreen remotes, I also helped a Friend set up a Home Theater Master MX-700. I was impressed with it. I am in favor of remotes that allow you to set them up via PC. It's a lot easier to customize (and save) the remote codes.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm selling my Kameleon remote here on HTF's Hardware For Sale section and it's a very flexible, full featured and easy to program remote. I upgraded to the newer version, so I don't need the other one.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Remotes are an extremely personal item. Similar to under wear I guess. Some like boxers, some like briefs. Then there are the crazies that go "Comando".

I have the Harmony ST-659 and am very satisfied with it (this is a remote, not under wear).

I would advise you, as others have, to visit "remotecentral.com".
That site is very informative.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Harmony is a good remote but even with help from their customer support I wasn't able to get it (659) to control my projector. :frowning:

It's a decent programmable remote and easy to configure through their website. UI on both the remote and the website isn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks