Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Another Budget Thread $200-$300 this time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted May 24 2004 - 05:36 PM

Hey, I've been looking into getting a digital camera, and I have a smaller budget since I'm still a college student. What recommendations can you guys offer? I've read good things and today checked out a Canon A75(Compact Flash and Cheaper NiCH batteries). I also liked the Fuji S3000 for the long zoom, but is there a 2005 replacement coming for it soon? It doesn't have to be pocket size. I assume my budget limits me to quality 3.2-4.0mp. Also, more optical zoom would be nice. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 04:29 AM

Anyone familiar with cameras in the price range? Edit: Also, the 5.1mp Sony DSC-P93 is brand new around $350. How is Sony's Image Quality compared to Canon's?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,471 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 10:01 AM

You might look at the Canon A80 -- four megapixel digital camera, takes CompactFlash cards, has good color balance, offers manual overrides, and has a swivel LCD (allows you to compose pictures with the camera held overhead, etc.).

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted May 28 2004 - 11:02 AM

I've heard some good things about the Nikon coolpix 4300. I almost got one, but Im holding out on the Sony dsc-w1 to be released shortly to see what it's all about. I was able to find the 4300 online for just over $250. The sony will run around $399 though.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted May 29 2004 - 08:13 AM

I ended up picking up the Sony DSCP93 for $350. They didn't even open a display model yet, but they opened one for me to test out. I took quite a few photoes with each camera at the store and viewed them on the computer. The photoes on the Sony looked amazingly clear, but I had more trouble focusing it than I did the Canon A75. I still had trouble with the Canon though, but I'm getting better at taking shots. I also think the really bright lights at the store didn't help either. Any tips on how to take great shots? The Sony has a 5 point multi focus mode, center focus, etc. If I decide I don't like the Sony, I was told I can exchange for the Canon within 14days, and the exchange doesn't have the 15% restocking fiew like a complete return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users