What's new

anyone recover a SVS? (1 Viewer)

JasonF

Agent
I just picked up a used 20-39cs and I'm having a WAF problem. She says she hates the way it looks. I even told her what it looks like before I bought it, but now she claims she wasn't paying attention. So of course I told her that it's her problem now! Just because I'm a nice guy I'm thinking about letting her recover my sub. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for ideas. She's talking about just putting a fabric cover around the fuzzy velour. Does anyone have any ideas for me. Thanks.

p.s. I think I can get an isd out of this!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Jason,

Not ragging on you; in fact, I have tremendous amounts of pity for you and other in your situation. Please see my sig. ;)

I guess I am doomed to be single...either that, or I'm going to marry a mindless drone...in all honesty, neither option is particularly attractive to me.

*sigh* You can recover the sub; it will have zero affect on the way it sounds. I just HATE seeing guys strung up by their gonads. It saddens me so. :frowning:

I'm all for curtains that match the sheets in the bedroom. I cannot stand a dirty house. The living room/HT room SHOULD be spotless, sterilized and good-smelling. However, you're SUPPOSED to see the TV, speakers and all the equipment. Wires suck, but damn, what do you think is "making all that noise?" It's the STUFF, man!

Good luck, buddy.

JasonF

Agent
Yeah, I hear ya. But between the time I spend on my race car and fishing I feel kind of lucky to start up this new hobby. Oh I remember the days of being single... milk crate furniture and such, it was fun.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Race car? Can I hang out w/you?

Heheh, I know what you're thinking; no milk crate furniture here. I'm not 25 anymore....but I wish I was!!! ;) I'm well settled and have assets. I just have no patience. Can you tell? ;) Good luck. :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I eventually covered my SVS with a black vinyl "sock" and decorated with chrome bedazzler studs. (Thank you Jo-Anne fabric).

Now my SVS has a crude skull and "SVS" in big chrome letters. And it completely removable!

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
That's why I got the PB2ultra, she didn't like the cylinders or the black boxes.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank

I agree with you here, if I ever get married I really need to make sure it’s to someone who understands that a man needs this toys and will not be on my back about every purchase I make, and complain about “big boxes” and such taking over the living room. I just cannot imagine how much that would suck, not to mention limiting your choices to ones that are “wife acceptable”. Now it’s understandable if you need money for payments/bills, food, ect. And instead of paying them you are blowing the money on a new HDTV, and then I can see a perfectly acceptable reason for the wife to get mad. Anyway I feel bad for a lot of you guys here!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I just picked up a used 20-39cs and I'm having a WAF problem. She says she hates the way it looks."

Can you hide the subwoofer somewhere near your sound/video equipment?
You know, subs can be hidden from view and still been able to perform unhindered so long as active drivers, passive radiators, ports and other such related items aren't compromised. Perhaps drapes can help...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Man, I feel for you guys that have to deal with WAF. My wife is totally understanding and lets me do pretty much anything I want. Once the bills are paid and there's food in the fridge she doesn't care what I spend my money on as long as it keeps me home and keeps me happy.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Jason,

Just tell your wife it is an extention of your manhood and you like to ride bareback. If she doesn't want you to have the biggest, longest, thickest (blackest?) cylinder on the block, I would question her values as a real woman.

Seriously though, don't listen to these bachelor boys. Your relationship with your wife is your own, however you make it work is great if it works for you. I would let her make some sort of slip cover deal that fits over the outside and that way you can remove it later if desired (or if selling it.) Make sure you watch Moulin Rouge, Chicago, or some other wifey flick with the bass jacked so she can fall in love with the SVS too. Harder for her to resent it if she also enjoys what it gives back.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Is the sub in a living room that also serves as the space for your home theater or is it in a dedicated room?

If it were a dedicated room it would seem fair to you to leave it as is. If it's in a living room that just happens to house your system, you might be out of luck. That was my take on the situation and my wife agreed. I would have never been able to get my PC+2039 if I didn't have a dedicated room.

That said, making some sort of slipcover for it shouldn't be a problem. Hell, you could even make it some sort of wrap-around thing that connects with Velcro and take it off when the boys come 'round.

Good Luck!
Bill

JasonF

Agent
Thanks Joe,
She does like the bass from this bad boy. She actually was flipping through the channels last night and stopped on Basic. When I asked her why she was watching that she said because she thought it would sound good. It did sound good, too. BTW, she only had the remote because I was in the garage. Hehe.

JasonF

Agent
Bill,
My system is not in a seperate room, it is my living room. I totally agree in a dedicated room I would have my SVS out for everyone to see. I'd probably have to put I light over to display it like the art is! I like the idea of the velcro. Thanks.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I was concerned about how my 16-46PC+ would blend in my living room.

I was quite surprised/pleased with how well the black fabric blends. I hardly even notice it anymore (visually, that is!:D).

It seems that if you were to cover it with some sort of patterned fabric, it would stand out alot more than the black fabric.

Good luck!

JimmyK

JasonF

Agent
I think she's going to try to go with a neutral fabric to match the walls. (navajo white). No way am I going let her put any sort of floral print or lace on it. That's not her style anyway.

BrianKR

Second Unit
Jason,
Let her decorate it any way she likes and just keep in mind....it doesn't matter how it looks but how well it performs!
The sub, not the wife!:b

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
this thread makes me wonder why sVs doesn't offer alternative or add-on covers for these tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks