Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Repo Man: Universal SE same as Anchor Bay?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted May 24 2004 - 08:13 AM

I have the opportunity to pick up a Universal copy of Repo Man fairly cheap, but wanted to make sure it's the same as the Anchor Bay SE. Anyone know of any differences?
My Collection

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ron Morgan

Ron Morgan

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 07:05 PM

I thought the Universal DVD was bare bones, but looking at in the store today I noticed that a Director's Commentary was listed as an extra. I could only find reviews for the R2 and R4 Universals and those are bare bones. I assume the commentary is ported over from the Anchor Bay release, but does anyone know for sure?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Randi

Randi

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 05:30 AM

On the Anchor Bay release there is commentary by writer / director Alex Cox, executive producer Michael Nesmith, casting director Victoria Thomas, and actors Sy Richardson, Zander Schloss And Del Zamora.

I don't recall seeing this group on the Universal release as I did check awhile back so they may have gotten a different commentary out of Cox.

Miss Randi

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
On the Anchor Bay release there is commentary by writer / director Alex Cox, executive producer Michael Nesmith, casting director Victoria Thomas, and actors Sy Richardson, Zander Schloss And Del Zamora.

Just checked my copy, and that's the exact commentary on the Universal disc.

The other difference is that the new edition has English, French and Spanish subtitles, contrary to Anchor Bay tradition.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Ron Morgan

Ron Morgan

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for the info. I can just stick with my Ancor Bay DVD. Now, if Universal would have added the TV cut as an extra, I would have double-dipped.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted October 15 2005 - 07:11 AM

There's a special edition of this one slated to come out in January. I dunno if it's a reprint of the old release (no specs, yet) or what, but it's listed as apart from the regular edition -- it's "special". Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 15 2005 - 07:27 AM

From www.dvdtimes.co.uk :

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Repo Man (Special Edition) for 24th January 2006 priced at $19.98 SRP. Starring Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton this new special edition features exclusive bonus material including Up Close With Harry Dean Stanton, The Missing Scenes, Feature Commentary and Repossessed, a featurette which details the bizarre career of Michael Nesmith.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 04:52 PM

Alex Cox's sequel to Repo Man that could not be filmed comes out in March 2008 as a comic book. There's a preview here:

Waldo's Hawaiian Holiday, the graphic novel sequel to Alex Cox's cult film "REPO MAN"
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted February 22 2008 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for the tip on the graphic novel. The TV version is hilarious, mostly for the inept replacement of the incessant use of the f-word.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted February 22 2008 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
Alex Cox's sequel to Repo Man that could not be filmed comes out in March 2008 as a comic book. There's a preview here:

Waldo's Hawaiian Holiday, the graphic novel sequel to Alex Cox's cult film "REPO MAN"

This is the story based upon "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin?
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 22 2008 - 08:24 AM

I don't know -- did Lee Marvin go to Mars?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 963 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 07:26 AM

Here's a nice comparison of the two, thanks to the DVD Beaver website-

Alex Cox's - Repo Man - Emilio Estevez DVD Review Alex Cox Repo Man Emilio Estevez DVD Review Alex Cox Repo Man Emilio Estevez DVD Review Alex Cox Repo Man Emilio Estevez DVD Review Alex Cox Repo Man Emilio Estevez DVD Review Alex Cox Repo Man Emilio

Forum Nav Content I Follow