What's new

Movie everyone loved but you hated? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and we started talking about movies and one came up in particular, The Thin Red Line. An oscar nominated film that was critically hailed and loved by plenty. He said that he loved this movie and was shocked to hear that I absolutely hated this movie more than anything. This movie bored me to tears and was one of the few movies that I almost walked out of (and I NEVER walk out of movies) This movie drove me crazy, from the over the top acting by Nick Nolte to the rediculous shots of the sun shining through the leaves during the oddest times. . I was so frustrated by this movie that by the 2.5 hour mark I had my knife and wrist's ready to go, lol. He laid into me for a while and told me why it was good but I told him I have heard it all before,
But the movie was set to a budest poem,
but he was noticing the beauty of his surroundings during war.
BAH, it sucked. (of course I gave reasons, not just "it sucked")

So anyone else have a problem with a movie that everyone loved but it sucked in your opinion.

And MI-2. Need I say anything about this POS.

Will K

Screenwriter
Armageddon
Forrest Gump
There's Something About Mary
Patch Adams

Personally, I loved The Thin Red Line. I thought it was beautiful, but I can understand why some audiences had a hard time with it.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I love The House of Yes, but all of my friends and family think I'm nuts. Same goes for American Psycho.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I was over at my sister's the other day and she said, "I don't see why anyone likes those movies." She was referring to the Lord of the Rings. I didn't say anything because she has other issues :)

I feel indifferent toward The Thin Red Line. I totally get the message and can recognize the beauty of it, but at the same time I have to admit it bored me. It's not a movie I've been compelled to see again, but may revisit to give another chance.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

EVERYBODY loves those films? Bad examples, especially Armageddon and Patch - yeah, both sold a lot of tickets, but both have a LOT of foes!

Jim Williams

Second Unit
The Big Lebowski. To me it was a second rate comedy that relied on gratuitous vulgar language to force it to be funny.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I could give quite a long list (hundreds in fact), although in truth, there's rarely anything even approaching universal acclaim for films, and lots of others hate almost any film you could mention, even if they're in a minority with you.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Blue Velvet. I absolutely hate the over the top Dennis Hopper in it.

(PS: I like David Lynch. Mulholland Dr is one of my top movies)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Bad Boys seems to be liked/loved by a lot of people. Two guys screaming at each other throughout the movie was made popular by Gibson & Glover in Lethal Weapon. Bad Boys went too far in it, was just annoying and made me turn it off. Never bothered to watch the sequal.

To some extend Saving Private Ryan as well. While I like the movie it was ruined by the latter part of the film, it was sold out for people who want a happy ending. A good war movie yes, a great war movie no.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Movies I would earmark as immediate "P.O.S." candidates: anything and everything by Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith.

Nothing else needs be said.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Easy enough to say, although there's no such a movie that one loved and EVERYONE else hated -- if you hated it, someone else out there did too. Anyway...

STAR WARS -- the entire series except THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
for me it's usually the other way, i love movies most people hate, like say, The Crawling Eye. but sticking to the topic, i would say Jerry McGuire and Almost Famous.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"While I like [Saving Private Ryan] it was ruined by the latter part of the film, it was sold out for people who want a happy ending."

Saving Private Ryan has a happy ending? Just about everyone dies - what's happy about that?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would go with "Good Will Hunting" It's not that I hated the film, but I think it was definately overpraised and had too much drivel. I wouldn't have any desire to sit through it anytime soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks