Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Room within a room construction pictures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 24 2004 - 07:34 AM

I know I have seen someones theater construction pictures that showed how they built a room within a room. The walls and ceiling of the theater did not touch the surrounding walls or floor joists above. There were some steel brackets that the person used to strengthen the connection between the walls and ceiling joists for the theater. Can anyone remeber the link to these pictures.
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,966 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 24 2004 - 02:44 PM

I'm not sure which photos you are referring to, but Here is one of my HT ceiling that is constructed the way you describe.
Posted Image

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 12:15 AM

I don't know if this is the one you are thinking of, but Ron-P built a room within his garage that sounds like what you are describing. Here is a link to his site.

MikeP

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Gerry S

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 12:53 AM

Here's another:

http://www.tedwhite....hitepapers.html

-Gerry

EDIT: Meant to link to the gallery for the pictures! Check there.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Gerry, that is the site that I remember and the one that I was looking for!
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted March 08 2011 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the link!  I've been looking for some good ideas for an isolated ceiling.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Bobofbone

Bobofbone

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted March 08 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm in the planning stages of a home theater, and up to this point, I had a room within a room in mind. However, I have some questions that I plan to pose with the local building and codes inspector. One reference I've started looking at is from the Black and decker DIY series, "Codes for Homeowners". The section on wall and stud specifications raised some questions in my mind about the resulting space that occurs between walls. While it makes sense for sound isolation, the space also provides ventillation and a draft space for fires. Without something to obstruct the space as a fire block (my terminolgy may not be quite right here), I'm wondering if the room within a room construction will pass local building codes. Maybe I'm over thinking things. I'm planning on completing the space in the house I'm having built myself. I'm pretty sure that the amount I'm planning on doing will require a building permit, and I intend to ask before I submit plans.  I'd be interested in anyones experience or information about this.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jon_B

Jon_B

Screenwriter

• 1,030 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 10:34 AM

You are correct in thinking that you will need to fireblock the space that is created as a result of doing a room within a room.  A lot of people use roxul insulation which is fire resistant up to 2150 degrees F (info found on their website).
I'm Back Online

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Bobofbone

Bobofbone

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted March 09 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks. I'll check into it.