What's new

amplification suggestions? (1 Viewer)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys, it's MEEEE again.. SORRY!

Well i just purchased my sherwood newcastle P-965. I am very please with it cosmetically, but i have not listened to it yet, for i need amplification. I was considering first rotel, then thinking about(in my opinion) further up the latter components such as sherbourn 7/2100A and the Bryston 4B SST and 9BSST. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? The guy who i bought the sherwood off of recommended the bryston cause it is 'right at the point of diminishing returns'?

Is Bryston just as good as lexicon then? same equipemnt?

I know that people are leary about opinions on here, but i do need them to help me a little bit. This stuff is all so nice that i think that it would be hard to hurt feelings with either choice. Or maybe others in suggestion? Thanks. Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Those are all good choices. Seeing as you've just gotten the sherwood, i'd look to see who in my local area has some of the products you're considering to demo (with no risk to you). One thing you want to do is put that ebay unit through its paces to make sure there's no problems.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
Def Tech BP7002's
Def Tech BPX x 4
Def Tech C/L/R 2500

Those are my speakers, all brand new from a dealer in cherry finish

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i will chu, that is why i am of course eager to amplify. I have nothing right now to do such a thing.

Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
chu, i asked him about the bill of sale and he said that he didn't know if he still had it. And that he would inquire about it anyway, check into who the dealer was, even though he didn't think it was necessary. He said he bought the unit of of a friend's friend who is a custom installer. Makes me a little leary though.

Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Ebay purchases are always a bit risky and if I recall from the link you had provided, the user did say 'as is'. That's why my immediate concern would be to verify the performance of the unit and put aside for the moment concerns about getting the right amp. It's like getting a used car. Don't worry about getting new tires. Make sure the son of a bitch works mechanically and electrically.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i talked to sherwood today and they said that if i had the original sales receipt, and the warranty card was not filled out, then i was fine. They said that if i could not however provide the original sales receipt from the authorized dealer, then there was nothing that they could do, and that the warranty would not be honored.

I sure do hope this guy has the sales recepeipt. I was going to send it to sherwood probably anyway just for a tuneup. I just wouldn't understand why he would not have the sales receipt for a 1600 dollar purchase, even i would save something like that.

And without an amplifier, i could not tell if everything works. I turned it on, and went through all the process modes and turned the volume control...bla bla bla. and everything seemed perfect, but without actually listening to it, i would surely not be able to know for sure. I will get on that though.

I just hate to demo stuff, cause i think i am going to have to pay more once i do so/obligated to them. ya know

Eric

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
One nice thing about Bryston is their 20 year transferrable warranty. If you purchase a used Bryston that is less than 20 years old and it doesn't work when it arrives the folks at Bryston will fix and (sometimes) update your unit under the warranty. No worries. Their amps also sound pretty good and will drive any speaker load.

MT

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If Rotel is one of the brands you are considering, then evaluate one of those from some local place. You'll kill two birds here. You'll verify the item you bought, and you'll evaluate a brand of amp you are considering. You are no more obligated from Store A than I am to my local GMC dealership for taking a test drive of a Suburban.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
I called bryston and i emailed sherbourn. I guess that i will call rotel tomorrow. I would also like to listen to the sunfire cinema too as well as krell kav series. I feel like i am more like asking someone if i can testdrive their ferrari for a few days with the bryston and the krell.

Eric

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Don't forget the new Anthem Statement P2 and P5.

I own a P5 (5X325W) and it could easily power a small commercial theater!

I'm using it with a Bryston 4BSST, and the P5 can easily give the Bryston 9BSST a run for the money!

I did compare the P5 to the Bryston 9BSST at home, and the P5 was running circles around it. For a LOWER price, the P5 has more then 2 times the power, and it clearly shows at high levels.

We did power 5 Paradigm Studio-100 running full-range with the P5 at insanely high levels and the P5 never clipped!

It was really impressive...

I did use a Rotel RMB-1095 before the P5, and they are in 2 different leagues. The P5 is build with really thick and heavy metal plates, and the 1095 was looking fragile compare to this. The P5 is build like a tank.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
oh man guys, you are going to spoil me!! I'm not sure my def tech's are good enough for this stuff. I mean they are obviously nice and all, but i'm not sure they are adequated with such good amplification.

Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i managed to bring home this Krell Showcase 5/6/7. I am hooking it up now. Both the bryston dealer's were empty(appointment only i guess). So i will deal with them later. Just one thing at a time for now. I will let you know what's up with it later on tonight.

Eric

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That'll be great as you'll be able to give that purchase of yours a workout. Out of curiousity, how big is that room you're in and where are you in relation to the speakers?

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
it is a relatively small room. I am buying all of this stuff before i move out for i could not afford it as easily with an apartment payment. I think that the room is about 15 x 20. I sit on the L shaped couch in the back right corner of the room. I sit on the corner of the couch as well. haha. pretty small!

Well i have everything physically set up right now. I am now trying to get sound out of it(GULP)

I'll keep you posted. Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
My early thoughts...

NAD: warm/fuzzier sound quality. Not the most precise sound, (maybe more sensationalized than an actuality of what is supposed to be heard)Sound full of quirks such as hiss. However, can show very good diversity and is enjoyable in its own #*tty right. Has a beautiful 2ch performance. Which is harder to come by for it's price range.

KRELL: Very neutral sound qulity. I think that it has great precision, and is very crisp. The sound is VERY controlled and clear, free of any distortions. Sounds like you are LITERALLY in the room where the music is being made. Very RAW sound in my opinion.

However, i must say that i am most impressed by the moderately priced sherwood newcastle P-965. It really enhances the sound where it needs to be! has a lot of options that people tend to yearn for(DSP modes that say the denon has) and accurately does exactly what it is supposed to without over emphasizing itself(example price)

Sound from the krell is much less enjoyable without being adjusted properly with the sherwood.(when put into an pure/direct mode for example). BEAUTIFUL finish. DEAD quiet, which is all that i really asked for in the first place from an pre/pro.

Maybe i don't know what i'm obviously talking about, but that is my two cents.(or one and a half cents maybe)

~Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks