What's new

Return Vent (1 Viewer)

RichV

Auditioning
I need to cool my HT!

I've added a forced air vent.

Do I need a return? If so, it will likely be on the same wall near the ceiling. Is this workable? I understand you generally want your return on the opposite side of the room from the registers.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

Not sure how construction is handled in your area, but most new places don't have return vents in each room. In my place, I have 3 levels, and only 2 return vents. The vents are located in central stairways and are 16" x 16" square.

More than likely, you would be able to get away without having the return vent. However, if it's easy for you to install it, go for it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It all depends how tightly you have or are planning on sealing the room. if you have a regular interior door you will be ok without one, it you have a weather tight exterior door (recommended) you need to have a return. A return shoudl also be used if you have a lot of heat generating equipment (projector, AMPs, etc. If you are using a CRT big screen and a basic reciever you should be ok, but what about the future?

richard_v

Stunt Coordinator

I do have a sealed door and heat generating equipment (see www site). Would a return vent located on the same wall as my forced air vent be OK, or will the cooled air just circulate straight up and out of the room?

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Well my house is being built as we speak and they have a return vent in every room. They use to build houses with only one return in the middle of the house, but they have since changed(In Wisconsin that is)

I would for sure put a return vent in your HT room and far away from the force air vent. Yes its better to have on the opposite side, but just try to get them as far apart as possible.

Steve

richard_v

Stunt Coordinator
I failed to mention that my HT is located in my basement. Would this matter as to if a return is needed or not.

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I talked to a HVAC guy about my HT in my future basement and he said I should put one in rooms in the basement that are inclosed. Since you will have a door on it, I guess if its open most of the time it probably will not hurt as much, but if you want to keep it closed alot then the air will have a harder time circulating.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks