-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Spider-Man Deluxe Edition & Spider-Man Superbit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#121 of 136 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:05 PM

Quote:
Frankly, it's probably a fluke that the SB Deluxe was done the way it was

But this isn't a Superbit Deluxe.
My Collection

#122 of 136 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,222 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
Greg_T, I suspect that what Colin is referring to is taking the standard DVD (movie and supps) and packaging that with a SB transfer w/ DTS track on a second disc (yes, Colin?).

Yup, that's what I mean. That works in situations like the original Charlie's Angels, which had all of the supplements on one disc...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#123 of 136 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted June 22 2004 - 02:03 AM

Dan: I've amended the post in question for clarity, but I was referring to Greg_T's mention of Zorro not Spider-Man. -p

#124 of 136 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:08 AM

George_fsf:
Quote:
yesterday at the movies I saw a trailer for spiderman 2, it was longer than the first one that came out. Does anyone knows if this trailer is on any dvd?

I know that the spiderman deluxe dvd has the short trailer for spiderman 2
I think you're referring to the trailer and teaser respectively. Of course you've gotten your answer here, but in case anyone else was curious, according to your "What DVD has the full length theatrical trailer for Spider-Man 2?" thread, a disc it is on that's not been mentioned yet is Secret Window.

Dave Mack:
Quote:
Supebits have commentaries now...? I thought... Oh never mind...
LOL--I largely concur.

Is this the first time Columbia has put a commentary on a single-disc Superbit (not Superbit Deluxe) release?

-p

#125 of 136 Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:21 AM

Yes. Yes it is.

#126 of 136 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,222 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 11:13 AM

Quote:
Is this the first time Columbia has put a commentary on a single-disc Superbit (not Superbit Deluxe) release?

I believe it's the first SB commentary PERIOD - I don't recall any SB Deluxe sets including commentaries...
Colin Jacobson

#127 of 136 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 11:36 AM

Quote:
I believe it's the first SB commentary PERIOD - I don't recall any SB Deluxe sets including commentaries...
Duh--my bad; good point, Colin. I've long wished for Sony to do Superbit Deluxes that include commentaries on a separate CD: you'd get the often better Superbit transfer and DTS but don't lose the commentary (if there was one on the standard release).

Is it you guys' sense that most DVD hounds don't also have standalone CD players (or a second DVD player) for this idea to work? Cue up the DVD in your DVD player and the companion CD in your CD/second DVD player/boombox; perhaps have a narrator/countdown at the beginning of the CD to synch up the start of commentary with the end of the Columbia lady logo . . . ba da bing.

Maybe this is a good application for the new DualDisc format. Superbit Deluxes would be movie w/ DTS on disc 1 and DualDisc disc 2 w/ supps on one DVD side and commentary on the flip.

I can dream, right? Posted Image

-p

#128 of 136 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,222 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
I've long wished for Sony to do Superbit Deluxes that include commentaries on a separate CD: you'd get the often better Superbit transfer and DTS but don't lose the commentary (if there was one on the standard release).

The simple solution for the SB Deluxe releases? Just make the original disc the second one in the package! That'd give fans all the extras from the original plus the SB quality improvements. I suspect they don't do this because they don't want someone to get regular retail product for free, but it makes sense otherwise...

Quote:
Is it you guys' sense that most DVD hounds don't also have standalone CD players (or a second DVD player) for this idea to work? Cue up the DVD in your DVD player and the companion CD in your CD/second DVD player/boombox; perhaps have a narrator/countdown at the beginning of the CD to synch up the start of commentary with the end of the Columbia lady logo . . . ba da bing.

I think such synching is totally unnecessary. I never listen to commentaries as I watch the movies - I tape them and listen to them in the car. Very rarely do I encounter a comment SO specific that I don't know to what they refer, but 99.99% of the time, the lack of visuals aren't an issue. Listening in the car is much more time effective and enjoyable - I'd hate to be stuck in front of the TV just for a commentary...
Colin Jacobson

#129 of 136 greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
Just make the original disc the second one in the package! That'd give fans all the extras from the original plus the SB quality improvements

They did do that with the Mask of Zorro superbit, the "superbit deluxe" version. It had the superbit version as the first disc and the extras disc from the special edition release. It would be nice if they did that some more.

#130 of 136 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,580 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 03:48 PM

I'm currently watching Spider-man Superbit (own the previous gift set) and am watching with the DTS track. I'm getting no shortage of bass on my Panny RP91/NAD T762/Energy e:XL-S12 subwoofer setup. And it does feel a bit tighter than what I remember the original DVD sounding like--I watched that one about 3-4 times all the way through but I admit I don't have any measuring equipment (or time or desire) to A/B the two.

#131 of 136 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:44 PM

Quote:
The simple solution for the SB Deluxe releases? Just make the original disc the second one in the package! That'd give fans all the extras from the original plus the SB quality improvements. I suspect they don't do this because they don't want someone to get regular retail product for free, but it makes sense otherwise...
Quote:
They did do that with the Mask of Zorro superbit, the "superbit deluxe" version. It had the superbit version as the first disc and the extras disc from the special edition release. It would be nice if they did that some more.
Greg_T, I suspect that what Colin is referring to is taking the standard DVD (movie and supps) and packaging that with a SB transfer w/ DTS track on a second disc (yes, Colin?). And yes, in that case, I'm sure the studio has a problem with essentially giving you the movie twice.

Frankly, it's probably a fluke that the Zorro SB Deluxe was done the way it was: after the 2001 release of the SE probably sold well, Sony perhaps then decided to do a SB Deluxe. Although I, too, wish they'd do this more, it's my stronger preference that--for whatever titles they do it on--they do so on a day-and-date basis: SE and SB Deluxe streeting on the same day.

Quote:
I think such synching is totally unnecessary. I never listen to commentaries as I watch the movies - I tape them and listen to them in the car. Very rarely do I encounter a comment SO specific that I don't know to what they refer, but 99.99% of the time, the lack of visuals aren't an issue. Listening in the car is much more time effective and enjoyable - I'd hate to be stuck in front of the TV just for a commentary...
Although I understand where you're coming from in the interest of time and in terms of a reviewer having a lotta discs to watch/listen to, from an enjoyment/consumer's/film buff perspective, I disagree.

Granted, commentary production has changed quite a bit over the past few years. For instance, it's more frequent now to have "commentaries" involving many, many people cobbled together from a variety of non-screen-specific sources. (I think the T2 UE perhaps began this and the LOtRs take it to another level . . .?).

But one of my fave commentaries remains Kevin Costner panned to left channel and his partner Jim Wilson panned to right on the very screen-specific Dances With Wolves. When Kevin talks about such-and-such two-shot, I prefer seeing exactly what he's referring to. Also, I often turn on subtitles when listening to a commentary and make it an opputrunity to kinda sorta watch the movie again.

-p

#132 of 136 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:05 PM

Quote:
Frankly, it's probably a fluke that the SB Deluxe was done the way it was

But this isn't a Superbit Deluxe.
My Collection

#133 of 136 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,222 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
Greg_T, I suspect that what Colin is referring to is taking the standard DVD (movie and supps) and packaging that with a SB transfer w/ DTS track on a second disc (yes, Colin?).

Yup, that's what I mean. That works in situations like the original Charlie's Angels, which had all of the supplements on one disc...
Colin Jacobson

#134 of 136 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 02:03 AM

Dan: I've amended the post in question for clarity, but I was referring to Greg_T's mention of Zorro not Spider-Man. -p

#135 of 136 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
In the beginning of the wrestling scene, when Bone Saw is about to finish off his first opponent, the English subtitle of the crowd chanting Bone Saw's name appears, even though I selected no subtitles. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep.....same problem with the SB on the Sony DAV-C450. Not really a big problem though as it appears only in that one instance in the film. I'll have to check it on my Sony 7700 to see if it occurs there as well.

edit.....checked the same scene with my 7700- no subtitle glitch. I guess this only affects certain players.
Recently watched- Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, The Walking Dead: Season 4

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#136 of 136 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 04:22 PM

The subtitle thing happened twice for me. First time was during the wrestling scene. Second time was when GG and spider-man were on the roof, I think.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow