Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Day of the Triffids" on DVD. Any opinions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,501 posts

Posted May 22 2004 - 10:25 AM

I found a R2 version of Day of the Triffids at HMV for 9.99 pounds (about $20). Unfortunately, it didn't list details (OAR? Extras?) Has anyone seen this? I also hear that there is a UK miniseries version of Triffids, but I am not sure that it's available on DVD. Doesn't appear that it's been released in Japan either. Any info would be great!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted May 22 2004 - 11:32 AM

I don't have it myself, but I'm almost certain that release is widescreen ( but perhaps non anamorphic )
There's some technical details here:
http://www.sendit.co...m/7000000079752
The BBC mini series hasn't yet been released on DVD

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   John*C

John*C

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted May 23 2004 - 05:01 AM

Read this thread on www.sendit.com formerly blackstar.
http://www.sendit.co...m/7000000061870

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 24 2004 - 09:27 AM

Alas, the BBC serial of Day of the Triffids - which is much more faithful to Wyndham's book - has yet to be released on DVD. It's a great pity, as the serial was really excellent.

There are a lot of visual similarities between it (the BBC Triffids) and Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. At one point Blackstar/Sendit had the serial listed, and I think they must have had a lot of orders - mine among them - but then the BBC corrected them and they made a big point of informing people that it was the original film, not the later serial. There's a market for the serial, definitely, but so far the BBC hasn't elected to release that (out of their enormous body of work - it'll take generations for all of it to make it to disc!).
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 02:48 AM

I heard the TV series isn't out on DVD due to a new movie being developed and the estate of the guy who wrote the novel is blocking the TV series from coming to DVD (due to the new movie being developed by some company). That is what I read at one of the forums/message boards I frequent.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 02:51 AM

It is indeed a widescreen, non anamorphic release, and the image quality is not that good. No extra's apart from several trailers for other movies released in the same batch (like magic town for instance. Nice little movie, though.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 11:10 AM

Isn't it ripped from the old Image widescreen laserdisc?

BTW, a sequel novel called NIGHT OF THE TRIFFIDS was published a couple of years ago. I'd love to see a sequel/remake.

I saw the British TV version years ago. I don't remember being too impressed but it was butchered for US cable so that probably hurt it a lot.