Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question on "Conspiracy Theory"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 PatrickMD

PatrickMD

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 22 2004 - 04:02 AM

This has bugged me every time I've seen it. What do you think the deal was with Mel Gibson's character always needing to pick up a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" everytime he saw one???

#2 of 4 BretWeaver

BretWeaver

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted May 22 2004 - 04:05 AM

In the movie it is one of the things that the government programed into him... if you'll recall they track him by the purchase of "Catcher in the Rye" at one point during the movie. I believe they got this idea from either Hinkley (shot Reagan) or Oswald (shot Kennedy), I think it was one of those two, or both, who had a bunch of copies of Catcher in their appartment.
Bret

#3 of 4 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted May 22 2004 - 07:32 AM

Obsessive Compulsive Disease mixed with a feeling of kinship with Holden? Both feel alienated and don't quite "get" the real world.

#4 of 4 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted May 23 2004 - 03:08 AM

I think it was also meant to imply that other assassins may have been created by the shadow group in the past, but Jerry is at a state before he was used to kill someone.