What's new

Any good deals on Satellite Radio (XM or Sirius) gear? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
My sister wants to buy her husband a subscription to either XM or Sirius and the gear to go along for the car. What provider she gets is up to whoever has the best deal on thei Plug-and-Play models.

If you've seen some good deals or know where I can find some, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Thanks Ron! That seems like a great deal!

How is XM with Talk Radio and Comedy channels?

BTW, why would you not suggest Sirius? Is it because of the repetition of song? I, personally, have a Sirius PNP in my car and absolutely love it. I have noticed the song repetition but I still love it. I could NEVER go back to FM!!!

Thanks again!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Sirius programming philosophy is to keep
playlists tight and to play familiar songs as
often as possible.

The XM playlist is at least twice as large as
Sirius.

I just feel XM has a far better grasp of what
satellite radio is about over the competition.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Interesting. My subscription is over I think in August, so I'll definitely be looking into the pros and cons of switching to XM.

Thanks for the help!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I find XM to be a music service that is
constantly reinventing themselves. They
keep the music and programming interesting
and they are very big on taking requests
and playing those requests as quickly as
possible.

With Sirius I felt the music was simply
loaded into the computer and then set on
autoplay with very little thought to keeping
the playlists fresh. Even on the decades
channels, XM goes that extra step to make
people feel as if they are being taken back
to that period of time. I have been
listening to the '60s channel lately and
I am very impressed with the DJ banter,
requests and commercial jingles.

XM seems to do everything with more style.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Best Buy and Circuit City have an offer with Sirius for a $50 gift card if you purchase your unit before this Saturday May 29th. You must also activate your service by mid June.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I bought a an Audiovox Sirius unit today at Best Buy. I had Preferred customer coupons that included a 10% discount on car electronics. So, I got the Sirius 'Jam Pack' for $112 w/the 10% & I get a $50 Best Buy gift card after activation, which I am about to do. Bottom line is that the hardware ended up costing me $62. I was surprised at how easy it was to install.

My wants in a sat radio are different than Ron's. I travel a good deal & most important to me is the NPR streams as I frequesntly find myself in a market that doesn't carry NPR talk. The music programming is way down the list for me. I prefer to burn CD mixes for play in the car.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ed,

Congrats!

For talk and sports you can't go wrong with Sirius.

If you love music and want the best variety of it
without lots of repetition I recommend XM.

You will love satellite radio. Let us know how
much you are enjoying it over FM radio.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
If you go in the Circuit City website, they have the XM Commander for $135 after you put it in the cart to see the price. Amazon and other less known websites may have similar pricing.

Great deal, it is a complete system. Although for best audio you will likely want to forgo the FM modulator and add a blitzsafe or PIE adapter if you have high level outputs at your disposal. Blitzsafe is the best as it will also integrate the power and grounds for some autos.
Only drawback of this system is that it is for a vehicle only . Not a dual home/car unit like the SkyFi.

You can load it in the cart at the website then pick it up at your local CC. I have had good results doing this with CC, Sears, and Compusa. I don't recommend using this feature at the BestBuy website. Got burned twice, standing in line over 10 minutes while they get it out of stock when I could have just walked in and bought it.

Nick

Second Unit
I really love getting one of those. But I don't really want to pay for something that I will still have to pay monthly payment for it. Like satellite dish they pretty give it away for free or sell it dirt cheap. Once you have it you'll have customer for life like dish owner.
I will get one when the price is below $50.00

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Let's see.. you pay about $5 a month for each receiver rental of cable/SAT equipment out of the some $40-70 a month for a subscription.
With XM you pay $120 one time for a good receiver, plus...no monthly rentals, and a subscripton of $10/mo.

Sounds like a wash to me.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Nick, it's worth every penny. I will never go back to not having satellite radio.

Oh, don't forget the costs of buying CDs of music you hear on satellite radio! :)

Nick

Second Unit
Will the radio work with any company or do I have to keep buying new one if there's a new one pop up. Like the satellite company.
It sounds like worth getting one from reading this thread. May be that will be my Xmas gift for myself.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I think there will always be hardware changes, but there is no reason to alienate half the customer base by making previous equipment obsolete. Any receiver made for XM will always work on XM.

I recently exchanged an older Dish receiver for a PVR. I still have a Dish receiver in another room I have been using for 5 years. Technically it works just as well. Only some of the programming software is not as sophisticated. Should be the same deal with DirecTV.

If you are on XM, you will always receive it, if on Sirius the same.

I can't imagine too many more improvements, and most of those should deal with 'features' not performance. Sound quality is pretty much optimized.

Nick

Second Unit
Question on installation.
My car stereo has an AUX input on the front panel. Will I be able to just plug the receiver into that outlet or it has to be permanently wired in the back.
I also was thinking of getting a home kit also. I think I will use the home kit more than car. I'm only 3-4 minutes from work. I searched around some offer home kit for free.

JoseEduardo

Second Unit
Nick, you can connect the single audio output from the XM radios or Sirius radios directly to the front aux. input of your receiver, no need to wire anything to the back.
Also the sound quality is much juch better with this type of connection

JoseEduardo

Second Unit
Nick, you can connect the single audio output from the XM radios or Sirius radios directly to the front aux. input of your receiver, no need to wire anything to the back.
Also the sound quality is much juch better with this type of connection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks